Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe
This seemed like the obvious place to ask, so here is my (mildly complex) situation.

In my current position, I'm making a little over $42k/yr plus benefits. I have been doing some independent consulting work as well, and one of the companies for whom I have been consulting will be making me an unsolicited offer late next week. (At least, that's the assumption when one gets a one on one dinner invite without an actual premise, and the CEO has mentioned bringing me onboard).

This is already, I assume, a good position to be in. Unfortunately, they know my consulting rate already, so I'm already negotiating from a weird place, but ehhhh.

The twist is that I also have another project coming down the pipeline that might have a bunch of potential for compensation (part ownership, among other things). The issue is that one's not 100% solid yet, and the details are still a little hazy.

So, I'm wondering how to handle this. My gut tells me step one is to nail down the out-in-the-distance opportunity, figure out what that entails and make sure that the immediate compensation is appropriate, get an offer from the guy next week, try to get a counteroffer from current job, and go from there. That way I have everything out on the table.

My questions:

1) for an unsolicited offer, what should I be ideally looking for? I would think A) benefits from day 1 and B) at minimum a 20% pay increase would be a fair starting point, but I have always had to go looking for jobs before so this is new.

2) If this nebulous offer from the future firms up, do I have any business considering taking the immediate offer? 3 months then bouncing seems real bad especially if I can negotiate a counteroffer where I work now. Should I use the firmed-up future offer to try and negotiate good numbers next week?

3) How do I effectively present my case for a counteroffer? My thoughts are to bring up that this was unsolicited so I am obviously in demand, blah blah blah, but again, new to this situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe
I had a pretty great interview last week and the company already wants to bring me back in to meet the team. They're likely to meet my ask salarywise, which is going to be really nice, but I'm wondering when to talk about benefits -- when the offer is extended? Any tips on negotiating benefits?