Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hotbod Handsomeface
Dec 28, 2009
I am graduating with a Bsc in chemical engineering in a few weeks. I have 2 internships, 1 research project that I presented at a national conference, have club leadership experience, and have a GPA of 3.2.

I have just received a job offer in the pharmaceutical industry in the east bay area in CA. The offer is $65000 with good benefits, great vacation/pto and great 401k. This value agrees with the middle of the range from the companys glass door page and some of the reviews say that the company does not negotiate. I like the benefits and I really like the company. I am interviewing at another company in an unrelated field and am waiting to hear if I move further in the process for a third company, also in an unrelated field. Does anyone know what a competitive offer in this industry/location would look like? Is this an offer/situation that I should negotiate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hotbod Handsomeface
Dec 28, 2009
Thanks for the quick replies everyone. I have had a few things on the offer clarified. The positions is that of an entry level process engineer. I would be designing pharmaceutical manufacturing processes. The top of the range that is listed on glassdoor is 77k, I was offered 65k, but would it be outrageous to ask for 80k? What type of information should I include in a counteroffer?

Hi HR person,

Thank you for clarifying all of the details with me. It is important to me that I understand everything before I make a decision. I am interested and excited about this position. However, I am concerned about the salary offer and the cost of living in the bay area. I was looking for $80,000 which is $3,077 bi-weekly.

Thank you,

Hotbod

Hotbod Handsomeface
Dec 28, 2009
Ok so I countered at 75 and they got back to me saying that 65 was the max. Totally cordial and professional. I am ok with this offer and I think that the experience is worth it so I'll take it, relocate and reevaluate where I am at in 2 years. The benefits are also better by a high margin than my peers. I feel good that I tried.

I now just need to accept the original offer and say how excited I am to be doing this. Thanks for the input everyone.

I also learned about one of my peers being offered 52k as an entry level cheme in southern California, which I think is very low.

Hotbod Handsomeface
Dec 28, 2009
I currently work for a contracting company where I get per diem depending on what the project agreements are. I've been doing this for 2 years (started fresh out of school, Chem Eng) and have always had something ranging from 2-3k a month extra from the per diem. Should I consider this like an addition to my salary for the sake of negotiation? I make around 70k now on salary but 100k with the per diem. So if someone offers me 90k I can go back and say that is less than I am making now. I will need 120k or whatever? Is that a reasonable thing to do? I feel like that is what I should be doing, but I have a hard time justifying that number while being this junior, but I've also learned time and time again that I'm the only one who is batting for me.

Hotbod Handsomeface
Dec 28, 2009
I know, I feel the same way. I think it would be fantastic to be around where I am at now but with another company and a promotion. I'm in the pnw now and I expect offers to be lower.

What I wanted to know was how I should handle getting the per diem. But after sleeping on it I realize that there was no guarantee that I would be getting it in the first place. It was all dependent on my specific projects and I am just as likely to get it as not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hotbod Handsomeface
Dec 28, 2009
Can I get a gauge on engineering salary?

I have a BS in Chemical Engineering and am looking to change jobs. I have just under 6 years of experience and make 90k/yr in Oregon right now. I am trying to pick what I would need to move to the Bay Area or Los Angeles in Ca and at least maintain my current quality of life. Anyone have any pointers for estimating salary needs for different cost of living areas? I was looking at the Nerd Wallet and Best Places cost of living calculators as a start. Anything else I should be checking out?