Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Chaotic Flame posted:

Congrats! I love reading the success stories in here

agreed :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Lockback posted:

Going for raises is a negotiation because you are negotiating against an implicit "I will go work somewhere else". Sometimes that's a strong position, sometimes not.

This. I got an unheard-of-early high level promotion in 2021 in part because they knew I could jump elsewhere for more.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I don’t have much to offer to this thread but I really enjoy seeing people’s success stories.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Is there anything dumb and sneaky you can do that is still 100% legal like blow all your vacation and sick leave at the prior job to stretch the date at old job to vesting while still starting new job or would employment contracts make that a nonstarter?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

TheParadigm posted:

There's also the overemployment option: Take both jobs, but tell the old job you have limited availability due to prior obligations. Simply overlap your remote days and/or extend it a day into the weekend. It'll suck a bit until newjob becomes comfy, but there's some upsides: Your old job you can (probably) do in your sleep, you get the unbroken/no break in your resume benefit, and if they want you on five days a week you have the power to say 'no, 'm happy in this schedule', and can pick one to stick with later.

Learn everything you can from the new job, coast at the old one, tough it out until you just feel the edges of burn out creeping in, then ditch one and take some vacation.

IANAL but this is probably violating one or both employment contracts, this is maybe not great advice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

You agree by working here that the company is now your attorney, your next of kin, and your spouse.

jokes on them, I'm a liability