Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paxman
Feb 7, 2010

Jordan7hm posted:

I dunno where you all work but in my experience you have to be pretty senior or the org has to be pretty small to get them to change their standard employment contract for you.

Also business blaming HR is not HR getting one over on everyone, it’s HR doing its job of being the designated bad guy for business to get what they want.

One time my boss swore blind that HR was "making" him do some lovely unlawful thing - since resolved - and I didn't want to straight out call him a liar but I also didn't want him to think I didn't have a basic idea of how businesses work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paxman
Feb 7, 2010

Parallelwoody posted:

I'm real curious what this was. On one hand, yeah HR is set up to be the bad guy and managers will pawn off responsibility for their lovely decision making on HR despite us sometimes telling them "do literally the opposite of this." On the other hand, I've been witness to some pretty dumbfuck HR folks that had plenty of experience confidently answer questions in a way that violates labor law.

I work for a large UK business with offices across the country. I was one of four people with the same fairly senior-sounding job title, each in a different region.

One day out of the blue we all received emails from HR saying "I am pleased to announce your appointment to [a far more junior role]. Congratulations and thank you for your efforts".

When I checked, I saw my job title had already been changed on our internal staff network - which meant the new title was visible to the many hundreds of other staff in the business.

My arguments were i) I had a contract of employment which stated my job title, and while the company was entitled to make "reasonable changes" this did not include moving me to a far more junior role.

ii) They could not make a change as significant as this to my contract without my agreement.

iii) They *could* make my existing role redundant if there was a business reason for doing so (this is how it works in the UK, not sure about elsewhere), and in that situation they could perhaps offer me an alternative role - but they hadn't done that

Anyway, my boss attempted to convince me i) this was only a change to my "internal" title and not my "outward facing" title (there's no such thing)

ii) As they didn't intend to change my responsibilities or pay it didn't matter (job titles do matter - they convey your level of seniority)

iii) I could give potential future employers my "old" job title because I could just write whatever I liked on my CV! (but when a future employer asked my current employer for a reference and got the "new" job title, wouldn't I look like a liar?)

So eventually my boss just said HR was telling him to do this and he didn't have any choice. I suspect it was true in as much as my immediate boss may have been powerless, but I doubt it was HR that made this decision. It was probably someone in head office.

Eventually someone right at the top of the company got involved and it all went away.

Btw you may think they were trying to get rid of me but in practice they could have made me redundant any time they liked and I have since been promoted. Perhaps I should have quit but I'm pretty sure this whole thing was incompetence rather than malice.