Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

12 month expiration on commissions definitely gives recruiters incentive to place you at companies you’ll want to leave within a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

carnassials posted:

Everyone said if the role was deemed non-viable I'd have a spot. The whole site would have to go under for that position to no longer to exist and I'm the most advanced in my peer group in years experience and skill set.

I've been assured by others that I have literally no competition for the position and I guess since it isnt truly a new job yet I dont have external competition either.

I think I need to take this role regardless, because pharma R&D is a dead end for some with a BS (poo poo its not to smart for a phd either) and it should look really good on a resume.

Thanks guys, it's always good to have an outside professional opinion

You would get that spot guaranteed in writing, correct?

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Quackles posted:

I have an unusual situation in that I want to negotiate for something other than money.

Specifically, I have a body clock that's charitably describable as "night owl" and uncharitably as "Delayed sleep phase disorder". What I want to negotiate for is a job that will offer flexible hours - and then let me actually use them each and every day. (I'd probably work 11-7 or 12-8 most days.)

How can I negotiate for this? Is there a way I can get this in a contract so I have something to point to to say that I won't be able to come in before this time if someone tries to pressure me about it later?

To be clear, this is serious! If I have to wake up too early, my health and temper become seriously impacted. Ask me how I know. :negative:

Anyway, I'm serious enough about this that I'd be willing to accept a somewhat lower offer in exchange for absolutely ironclad shifted hours.

PS: this is in tech

Move to the Midwest or East coast and get a remote job with a west coast company?

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

air- posted:

I should add it's a corporate property management company in my case, the front office staff just responded actually - they have to escalate it up the food chain to a property manager. Not surprised to hear that and I hope we don't have to go back and forth too much since all I'm asking for is the same concession and pricing as the unit below mine, I think that's pretty reasonable...

But think of the better view you get from being ~13 feet above that unit! The air is cleaner and you leave the hustle and bustle of the streets faaaaar away!

I got suckered into paying more for a higher unit in my last apartment. In fairness, the view did improve substantially and we were on the top level so paying to not have upstairs neighbors was worth it.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Stoop Kid posted:

I work in public accounting as a manager at one of the very large firms. I had a loving miserable busy season compounded with some personal tragedy, and I was passed up for promotion to a Senior Manager role this year while a low-performer with tenure was promoted. These two factors made me decide to leave, so I updated my resume and started talking to recruiters.

I was recruited by Company A for a specialized technology role that would be of great benefit in terms stress/working hours since it's going to be an exit from being the clients' punching bag. The compensation is a 25% increase of my current salary plus a signing bonus. I'm also more excited about the work itself than my current role. The offer exceeded the threshold that I set for myself to leave, so I accepted, signed the offer, and let my boss know that I am gone after Christmas.

He immediately freaked out at the prospect of me leaving, as it would have a very strong negative impact on his clients and staffing. He asked if they could match the offer would I consider staying, to which I replied I would not. He is still intending on putting together a counter-offer to try to retain me, but it kind of feels too-little-too-late at this point. I feel a bit cynical that my contributions were taken for granted until I expressed that I am smart/disloyal enough to jump ship and get paid more. The "you could make partner here" carrot was dangled, but that doesn't really appeal to me. My concern is also that the immediate pay bump to retain me would basically be cannibalizing my future raises until I am in-line with my cohort again.

If the counter-offer is in the realm of absurdity I would be foolish not to ask Company A to try to close the gap right? My intent was not to start a bidding war, but it seems dumb to waste an opportunity and the worst Company A could say is no.

Do not accept. I’ve seen staff/seniors accept counter offers that came with an immediate promotion to senior/manager and that’s worked out okay, but even if they promoted you to Senior Manager you’d be capped out at that level. If you could make Partner they would have promoted you already.

The clients and firm will be fine. The prior year workpapers should have everything they need :v:

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

“I sent a real good email, that merits a .10% raise starting next week.”

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

My brother did a stint IT consulting. His main project was a three stage system implementation. Each stage was run by a different consulting firm.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

It seems much better to take $200k, give it a shot, and start looking elsewhere after 6-12 months if it’s not a good fit.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

“I’ll pay you $3k a month to be the property manager while you live there”

“Isn’t rent $3.8k/month?”

“Yes.”

:sever:

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Someone get Dan’s response to this consulting article on tech negotiations, specifically point 1:

https://www.lennysnewsletter.com/p/negotiating-comp

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Companies sowing: haha hell yeah

Companies reaping: wait that’s mean :(

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

IMO, just move on if they aren’t willing to get in the same range as similar competing offers. “I had other offers for substantially more money” is an explanation any sane hiring team should understand.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

One of the more common experiences in business:

“We need to do Y for $X or else Z happens”

“No that’s too much, we’ll be okay”

*Z happens*

“YY will cost $XXXX to fix Z”

“Are you kidding? That’s going to dent our yearly numbers how could you not have fixed it before it happened????”

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Dik Hz posted:

Welp. Client isn't willing to pay market and told the recruiting firm to tell the recruiter to tell me to name another lower number after sharing their admittedly generous benefits package and indicating they were flexible on vacation.

I politely told them it was their turn to throw out a number. I'm beginning to understand why this job is still open. Amongst other things, I told the recruiter that I wasn't keen on negotiating against myself. She then told me that they want to make me an offer; they just need me to name another number. I told her that I would love to entertain an offer if they decided to extend one.

Ugh. I really need out of my current job but also gently caress you pay me.

Sounds like the new number is $110k

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

HR has lots of important things to take care of before they can tackle sending out offers:

9am - 10am: Catch up on gossip and tv shows from yesterday
10am - 11:30am: debate where to go to lunch
11:30 - 1pm: lunch
1pm - 4:30pm: make the rounds in the office and moan about how busy you are. Starbucks run!
4:30pm: send status update to hiring committee with insufficient details on salary negotiations, leave for the day.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

In this WFH economy maybe just don’t give notice at all and double dip.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

As long as benefits are covered, a week or two of funemployment seems nice. Lots of Americans don’t take enough PTO.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Hot job market aside, when inflation is 7% he should not be asking for only a 3% raise.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

As long as you aren’t on a PIP or clearly about to be fired, in the event a job is offering you less than what you are currently making for a similar role, you will always have a solid competing offer aka staying at your current job.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Jumpsuit posted:

Thanks, I pulled this one and the recruiter said that the exec would try and push for $110k but it would take a while for leadership signoff, not guaranteed, plus oh here's another role at $100k that I should strongly consider.

So I said I'm done here, if they can meet the market let me know but I'm not taking that salary.

She immediately texted "let's chat tomorrow? 9am?" Like, so you can talk me into accepting less money? Nah

Why would you decline her invite? There’s a great new role at $90k that just opened up.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

jemand posted:

Do successful startups have ceos who can't even be bothered to spin an investor storytime yarn on a dime better than "sell to Google"? That's like the "I'll be rich and famous when I grow up" aspiration of a six year old in its specificity and believability to my mind.

But I don't really know anything about startups. I just would assume a startup founder should be able to spout a better bullshit story than that.

All pitches are now done via LinkedIn flex

“Yesterday I was asked what my vision is for the company

I was shocked.

You don’t need to explain your vision..

…You live your vision

Anyone who matters can see it.

Your vibe attracts your tribe.

Remember that.

#thankful #inspiring #levelup”

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

“Sorry, <Board Member X> went out on vacation and isn’t back until next week.”

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

If you leave on good terms, some organizations love a good boomerang story when you come back after ~2 years.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

The 18 month job hoppers are always interesting to me since I’m absolutely not wired that way. Assuming a 90 day ramp up period and 90 days for job searching, 1/3 of the time spent at stop is fairly unproductive. From anecdotal observations it does seem to be a good way to make a lot of money fast, though.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Moonwalk even.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

From what I’ve seen of a good buddy who churns start up jobs, I don’t have the personality for that life. Let me ooze along in the megacorp world. Maybe it’s more boring, but I’ll pass on participating in the founder’s 9pm board game power rankings that he’s totally not using to gauge who is on slack at that time.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

I’m also curious if you fully buy that it’s only 9-5 M-F. I feel like being in an integral role and helping them make major growth/transition could easily require extended hours as well.

Had a similar thought given it’s billed as a start up, no matter what stage. Best case it’s 9-5 plus another ~2.5 hours per day commuting.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

You’ll never solve your fart problem so long as you work in accounting/finance and count beans all day.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I know of a person who has been promoted every 12-18 months since joining the company. Ended up running a business segment in near record time. The managers must have really recognized their potential for blowback if they messed with the career of a founder’s nephew

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Jordan7hm posted:

Realistically even really great performers are only actually producing for like 20 hours every week. If you can do 4 hours of good productive work in a day, every day, that’s pretty solid.

For ICs, 4 hours of good productive work depends on setting boundaries or having a good manager willing to fight to keep your schedule clear. A day with meetings at 10am, 1pm, and 3:30pm has a low chance of producing any creative work during business hours.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

You also need climate calibration for Austin if you haven’t experienced months of 100+ temperatures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

In the finance/accounting world, my business school peers who went to work at startups or small businesses used it for rapid title acquisition. Now they have SVP or CFO titles on the resume and are moving into larger companies.