Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Well, if you get an offer for EUR2500 gross monthly, are you going to be happy with it? If yes, and the position seems good in other ways, I think you should move on.

Getting your current employer to match can be risky. They now know that you are potentially interested in moving on. Now you are #1 on the Layoff poo poo List.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Well you probably aren't going to get a 47% raise straight out so I would just keep on looking. You could talk to your manager about your path forward and compensation etc to get a sense of how they view you and whether you would like to stay, but unless you jump you aren't going to get to 2500 euro very soon.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

It depends, but usually there is a premium paid for working 3rd shift or Sat-Wed shifts or similar.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Tots posted:

True life. This may feel like a win, but in all likelihood this means that she low-balled herself and the top of her range is still probably less than, or at the bottom of, the range the company was expecting to hit.

Precisely. If you get the top of your range, that number was lower than the lowest internal budget number the company expected to use.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

bro it's monday chill the gently caress out

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

finalizing some jabroni's offer would be pretty low on my priority list and would be the type of thing that i might have to circulate internally as well

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Yeah no use speculating. I think you can manage it OK with the client relationship, just say hey the title was important to me, if we can't see eye to eye on that or have some compensation for that being removed of (X) then I appreciate the offer but am not interested. I think it's a fair position to hold.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

What cost is there to you to telling the truth?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

You probably ought to let them know the specific parameters of an offer that you would accept to stay in your current dept.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

the answer is No

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

CarForumPoster posted:

That strikes me as one of those big government coddling people things. The idea that an employer is not allowed to ask people to volunteer information (that isn't related to overt discrimination) seems silly. It's like saying the police can't ask "do you know how fast you were going"

you're an idiot

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

It sounds like your benefits also change in your favor - are you valuing things like 401k matching, health insurance quality and cost, etc as well?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I would discount the value of unvested RSUs compared to cash compensation but that's more of a personal preference.

Is your current contract joint giving you any retirement benefits? If not, you're getting an extra $2,400 from the 401k match at minimum.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

How happy are you with YY because if you provide a range it's more likely to be close to that.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

What do you mean "Does not offer a traditional benefits package" - can you elaborate on that?

I work for a 45-person outfit and we receive excellent health, good dental and vision, a FSA to cover all of our out-of-pocket copays, and 401k matching at 50 cents on the dollar up to $18,000. Being small isn't an excuse to not offer adequate benefits and you should require additional compensation to make up for any gaps in the benefits package.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Who are you comparing to? I find consulting pay benchmarks are very unreliable, and I just tried PayScale - it doesn't really jive with my understanding of the market because of job title issues. Are there other people at your firm that do similar work at your level? Do you know what they get paid?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

psychokitty posted:

But I really like my job though. So you're saying I need an offer to dangle in front of my managers, which I wouldn't take? But then I wouldn't take it but what if they won't give me more money?

Look, you can go to them and draw a line from some increased value add to your compensation and see if they bite. But if they don't, you're going to go ahead and continue to be paid at the same low rate because you like your job. You have to decide what's important to you. Does the money and or perception of value matter to you more than the fact that you like your job?

Manny Ramirez (famous Boston Red Sox superstar, if you're not a ball fan) was paid about $906,000 on a biweekly basis. He routinely had multiple pay checks floating around in his locker, uncashed. He didn't actually care about the money, but he cared about being directly, tangibly valued as one of the best players in baseball.

I would take a short trip back through this thread from the beginning to get your head right on why counteroffers are important, but first you need to decide if you actually are willing to change jobs. If you aren't, don't expect a high degree of success in your efforts to get paid more.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Is 26k a reasonable number overall? You mention consulting and maybe because I'm a mgt/strat guy I think differently, but our fresh-out-of-school kids with a BA make 60 + bonus.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Our healthcare costs $32/mo for fantastic coverage.

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

He's talking wacky dreary islander money, not Murican Dollars.

$1.27 right now, though.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

If it was at a career fair at a school it was probably for a moderately fungible position where they are doing a bunch of career fairs at schools, more so than it being a unique position in terms of skills and expertise. It still sucks, but as everyone is saying you really did not want to work there anyway.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

What is the direct value to your job of you enrolling in the executive MBA versus the normal MBA?

Unless you have a very, very coherent answer to that question, loving off and paying for it yourself is your strongest option. You look disingenuous by first asking for thing that costs X and then asking for actually thing that costs 2X without any appreciable benefit to the person writing the check.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Is that the marginal benefit to the Executive MBA or just the benefit to getting an MBA?

Are you presenting this as a fait accompli? It sure sounds like it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

The marginal benefit to the executive MBA is that I continue to work as our director of quality and safety and as a practicing anesthesiologist throughout the time I'm working.

I think you misunderstood me. Is this a benefit that is specific to the new, more expensive MBA program that you want to/are pursuing, or is it a benefit to you participating in an MBA program in general? To an outside observer, it sounds like the latter. If I'm wrong, what specifically does the Executive MBA achieve for your employer that is more beneficial to them than the MBA program originally stipulated?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

If you can anchor to a salary benchmark for 42, go ahead and ask for it.

You aren't getting a raise in two months.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

epenthesis posted:

If the match number is 39, don't lie about it. It's far from unprecedented for an employer to demand proof before matching.

If you future employer demands proof about a job offer, consider whether you want to work there or not.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Tots posted:

Awesome, this is all really good information and at least gives me some starting points for questions.

I'm in technology management consulting. Specifically I'll be an "Agile Transformation Coach" if that helps. How does industry affect this whole situation?

E: Also do you have any general advice for a travel position? This seems like it's a completely foreign lifestyle to me.

Come to the travel thread in this very forum, mon petit garçon. It's mostly status and hotel nonsense right now but if you ask good questions you will get good answers. Don't bother reading the whole thing.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

CarForumPoster posted:

2 Months ago I posted about another program in my company trying to take me and my current program shutting it down. A few of you got on your high horse like I'm the goon in the well.

My promotion goes into effect Jan 21st, I get a 12% raise, I get to stay on the program I like in the role I like and they've added someone to my team last week to take over some aspects of my job I didn't like. The following people are big dumb dumbs, overly confrontational and/or give bad advice.

If this seems rude and childish it is...but remember that others may follow your advice into a worse situation.

all of that advice is actually good advice even if you chose an alternative approach that worked, and none of it is overly confrontational you sensitive child

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Positive Optimyst posted:

I have a problem with giving a current and past salary because I have been working in a foreign country, earning a foreign currency, and it does not translate into US dollars because they industry I'm working in does not even exist in the US.

However, the salary question seems common.

This is fascinating to me - what industry do you work in that does not exist in the US?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

shame on an IGA posted:

The local chevy dealership here just had 100% turnover after being sold, new owners told everyone who had been there for decades "Well you're all new hires to us so no vacation for 12 months" and was met with "Suck our dicks from the back"

as someome who works with car dealers, this is the least surprising poo poo of all time

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

My bill rate is a bit more than 5x my target total comp broken down on an hourly basis. Your number isn't a basis for negotiation, it's standard for consulting.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Kalenn Istarion posted:

I would disagree - you can argue that you should capture a bigger portion of your bill rate as you become more valuable to the firm, and it can certainly be a point of negotiation. You just aren't going to be very successful if you're at one of the top firms.

I think at the poster's level that you're more likely to be successful negotiating based on value added than the delta between bill rate and your takehome.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Do you use a grade structure at your firm? I'm guessing yes. You'll end up somewhere within a range of possible grades for your position no matter what, so if you can figure out what that range is you know where you can shoot for it. I would shop around internally to figure out what other people make in your current and future roles if it's a big firm.

I'm kind of guessing from your post that you're getting promoted to engagement manager or similar title. The key is to emphasize value delivered, independent management, and client interaction above your pay grade. Usually for consulting you get promoted based on already having done most of the work of the position - the promotion is a formality. So if you want to come in high within the range, you have to emphasize that what you did actually exceeds the demands of the role that you are promoted in to. Unfortunately, to rise above EM or similar that's probably selling work so unless you a) sold some poo poo or b) are a lead generation superstar you will probably struggle to truly differentiate yourself. To come in at a high amount of money, your most recent EM (or several) will have to back the fact that you're God's Own Gift and actively advocate for you with the partner in charge of your project, and that person is going to have to go to bat for you. Mine and work your serious advocates. If you don't have any you're probably not going to be able to do better than average.

If you're not getting promoted to EM or similar and are lower level, I would emphasize work that you have done that has taken on the role of EM. How you pitch it is basically the same but you want to stress on time, on budget, pain-free.

If you have a formal mentor or a rabbi this is a good thing to discuss with them.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I think Dwight is right on about the difference between a legitimate counter-offer and "golly gee we wish you'd stay!!"

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Namarrgon posted:

Some regions in the US are making it illegal to ask for a salary history. I think NYC is the only one that has actually banned it so far.

If you want, it seems like a good opportunity to practice true assertiveness. Don't give weasel answers, just say "No. This is not information I will share."

State of Massachusetts is on that poo poo.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

If you've already negotiated up to 75 on company A it would be a little weird to me if I met the candidate's ask and then they came back again and were like actually i want 80/90/105 whatever.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

antiga posted:

I agree with both previous posters that you should negotiate in good faith and not move her goalposts after they match your ask, but in my opinion if he negotiated with the understanding he'd get 1.5x for OT and now he's getting 0x it's legitimate to revisit base salary.

I think that's fair.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

What other benefits do you receive besides salary?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

spf3million posted:

I asked one of our HR people about our corporate payscale on a whim and she sent me the whole thing. Min-Mid-Max salaries, target bonuses, and Long Term Incentives for all 20 grade levels. Can't believe she just handed it out. This will be useful if/when I make my next internal move here sometime later this year.

My joint is very open with this information too. Very civilized.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

tranten posted:

kinda lovely health/dental/vision (maybe it's standard, I came from a unionized govt position with amazing health benefits)

401(k) with zero matching

Just ballparking from when I moved from individual contributor to management you should probably be asking for about 18-30% more money, so like 63-72?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Do you work for Cabin?

I would generally value equity quite low (as in you should be accepting cents on the dollar for equity) but really you need to talk to someone who knows about equity valuation and cap tables.