Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
what is your actual negotiating position other than "give me more stuff" and have you communicated any expectations already?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Ultimate Mango posted:

Wow that is really interesting. Dumb question: My next hire will be in Texas, but I and my office are in CA. Texas rules apply, since the person will work in Texas, right?

Once again, gently caress California and boy am I glad I live here. A job or two ago they actually wanted to see my W2 for the last job because I was asking for, and eventually got, more than they wanted to pay me.

why are you saying gently caress California for a rule change that would have benefited you

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I would tell them the median of the range and see what they do with it. Offering a range as the employer is as stupid as offering a range as the prospective employee.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

My gut tells me that a) you're not doing the job that your predecessor was and b) you've only been doing it for six months, so asking for roughly 2x your current salary seems bold.

I would not disclose that you know your predecessors salary.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

George H.W. oval office posted:

Got a job offer! Yay! They don't offer 401k because of some misguided bullshit saying they can be sued for losses in earnings. Boo. What's a reasonable counter to compensate for lack of retirement? Being capped at $5500 a year in an IRA is really a bummer.

Pay is 70 that’s bumped up to 75 after 90 days.

cold hard loving cash on the nail

barring that a bunch of vacation days i guess

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

My dude, starting managers at McDonald's make $48,000 what are you doing you have an "MBA in finance" this isn't even that hard.

lovely MBA is my guess

there are a million poo poo MBA programs reliably churning out graduates

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Zauper posted:

As a note, relocation expenses are usually paid in the form of a bonus, which has tax implications. So you may need to ask for it to be grossed-up to cover the tax implications as well.

it has tax implications in that it's taxed as income, yes

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Well ya already done hosed up (as you are aware) by providing a range. You can try to anchor based on salary benchmarks - you know that 100K CHF is on the low end for someone of your seniority, so if you say hey I know market rate for 10 years experience and a bachelors is 130K CHF, you might be able to negotiate to the high end of the range you provided.

You almost certainly are not going to get more than 100K CHF no matter what you do, and since you already provided 95K and your BATNA is weak you probably shouldn't push overly hard. You can ask, but expect them to sit at 95K and tell you to take it or leave it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I don't think that you should try to anchor to your current salary at all.

You are exchanging your free time to do this work. What is the number that you would say "gently caress yeah let's go" if this project were proposed to you? Ask for that number. If its a hundred bucks an hour, ask for a hundred bucks an hour. If the company says no, who gives a gently caress?

This advice does not apply if you are trying to break in to a freelance consulting gig - or maybe it applies extra. Our subcontractors and independents make anywhere between $70 and $300/hr depending on skills expertise and need.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

real numbers help dawg

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

pro negotiation tip: don't loving move to houston

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

That's basically how my place works with the addition that there are mandatory vacation periods for everyone that don't count against PTO and are paid, and everyone earns the same PTO. You aren't allowed to take vacation in the first six months unless you request it at time of offer.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

ask for 99 and if they don't budge take 95 if you're willing to take 95

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

What you negotiated for, over the course of a career, is a $3k annuity paid over the next 30 years with a present value $39,000.

not bad for 45 seconds' work

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

“Your benefits package is inadequate so I will require $110,000 a year in salary to make this move worthwhile.”

Don’t overcomplicate or overthink it. Just tell them politely but assertively what you want.

Be prepared to walk away if they balk, though. Anything is possible but in my experience (unless it’s a small company) sucky benefits usually indicate the company has three priorities when it comes to staffing: cheap, cheap, and cheap.

He already anchored at 100 plus five weeks vacation so i don't really approve of resetting your ask to a higher point

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Consulting bonuses are not guaranteed but they are not anything like normal corporate bonuses.

Chaotic Flame posted:

All it takes is one year of the company "not meeting its goals" (company could still be profitable for the year) and all of a sudden your bonus shrinks or disappears.

this, for instance, is not really true

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

my bonus is variable to my benchmark amount based on firm performance but there has only been one year in 25 where that bonus payout was below benchmark

If a big firm isn't paying out bonuses or squeeezing those bonuses they will lose people very quickly because let's face it consulting firms are fairly fungible for the actual consultants

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I'm confused as to how "paying for benefits" (ie actually having health insurance) is considered a net negative in this scenario. You're not obligated to take the company's health insurance. Otherwise, yes, she can negotiate. Do you mean her current freelance rate is $65K year/gross? As others have pointed out, there's a big difference between gross pay as freelance/self employed and an employee that works out very favorably to the employee. If she gets $70K gross as a FTE that is going to be significantly more than a $5K increase in net pay.

PS get health insurance

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

other than the dude recognizing that his BATNA is not as good as he thinks it is

if you have a weak BATNA that just means you have to realistically expect to capitulate in negotiations

is the company sponsoring your residence in your new country in any way?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

your BATNA sucks because if the company tells you to pound sand here are your choices:

1. suck it up, start looking maybe if you're super mad. in a high-friction market with long notice periods you will be working for this company for some time still
2. quit immediately

what are you gonna do, boss?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Yeah, to be clear I am not saying don't ask. You should ask! You should ask for the moon and a loving unicorn and ten weeks paid leave per year. Just be very, very aware that your employer is unlikely to give you what you ask for even if you think it's reasonable, because your BATNA is to quit, and you should (almost) never quit without a real plan in place.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

i wouldn't sign that noncompete

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

loving lmao

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The first lesson is always ask, and until people learn the first lesson they miss out on opportunities.

The second lesson is know when you've won. It sounds like you got what you wanted, so be content!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

i would stay after giving notice if i was given a big chunk of equity

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

ok the idea that you have to pay out a bonus in that case is patently absurd

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

evobatman posted:

I'd counter 74k.

unless you have a really good justification as to why you're worth this amount i don't think this is a very good idea since jizzy's BATNA is real low

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Yeah pretty much that. It’s plus 10k and he hates his current job.

By the way congrats jizzy!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

cool, man, that's awesome!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

Anyone who tries to demand you tell them your current salary is trying to screw you.

yeah with the important distinction that someone demanding your current salary is not the same thing as someone asking what your compensation requirements are

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

i would recommend some firm fixed component plus a lower per unit unless you think this thing is really gonna take off

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

have you read any of the nine trillion posts in this thread about counteroffering and benchmarking?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

you can definitely use the offer as a barometer for what you are worth in negotiations to see if your current joint is screwing you or not

just don't tell your current joint you have this information from an offer or they'll think you will be jumping ship

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Ralith posted:

Personally I'd act under the assumption that he himself forgot (or never even knew) about the details of the posting. If you have a strong market-value case to get more than the posting, great, ask for that, but you absolutely shouldn't accept less, and should gently and politely remind him of it if you can't get more.

I would operate from an assumption of ignorance or forgetting as well. It's possible that HR posted the job description originally and didn't communicate, or maybe this was a new tactic to try to get candidates and is not in keeping with prior policy. Assuming forgetfulness or ignorance is only upside for you. It gives the boss the opportunity to correct themselves if they truly did not know or forgot, and it gives them the opportunity to save face and keep you if they were trying to lowball you, and if they tell you "sorry no can do" you know they're a fuckhead.

If you just email the attachment (by the way: what on earth made you think that was a good idea?), you look like you cannot communicate, are hostile, and too cowardly to have a decent conversation. If you really want to destroy your relationship with your boss, by all means, do that middle-school poo poo.

I also don't understand why you "asked for a raise" rather than just saying "hey when I applied for this job the salary posted was X if I got a fulltime offer, here's the posting, I am confused as to why you are offering me less than X now."

Eric the Mauve posted:

On the other hand, don't work for people who lie to you. And especially don't let people get away with lying to you and continue to work for them anyway.

I agree with this, but the best way to find out if they're lying or incompetent is by communicating and using your words.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

gandlethorpe posted:

Thanks for the tips everyone. I'm gonna make the stupid decision because people usually aren't in the right mind while grieving. Maybe in a few months I'll come around.

I have a question, one that you may have answered but I missed. Did you ask for more money / raises / whatever before you started job searching?

Eric the Mauve posted:

Exactly. Being informed by an employee you depend on heavily that he's got another offer and is about to leave can be an "Oh poo poo!" moment for management, who will respond by paying what it takes to keep the employee in place long enough to reorganize things and make him nonessential. Happens all the time.

Isn't necessarily a bad thing as long as you have your eyes and options open.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

lol, this is a little bit of a derail but you should 100% never judge someone based on how they choose to spend their money (or incur debt!)

put away the GGGC bat signal pls

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Friend posted:

Yeah that's definitely true for some people I work with, though you can still get a reasonable idea by taking an average of the parking lot and figuring out you're near the bottom of that average.

Anyway I had a whole speech prepared about how they're taking advantage of my time instead of my talents and I won't stand for it anymore and poo poo but when I went in to talk to HR she said I was still in consideration and I'll know more next week. With any luck I'll be struck by a train between now and then.

jesus christ dude quit

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

There's also nothing wrong with asking politely as long as you're very cognizant of the fact that the other party is also very likely to politely tell you no.

(or impolitely)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

It doesn't hurt to ask, but unless your company is run by very nice people the answer is going to be no... and unfortunately for you if your company was run by very nice people, they probably wouldn't have cut off your reimbursements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Why don't you just name a high number that you would definitely accept that's above what you got hosed on but at least within a realm of reasonableness?

Say that the recruiter told them $90K. Asking for $120K is probably reasonable as a negotiating starting point. Asking for $180K is probably not.