Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Hey, so I got an offer from a company. The corporate thread said to ask over here about negotiating salary.

Offer:
Base Salary: 100% of my current salary, it's exactly the same and a 15% signing bonus. The recruiter said something about not having a lot of maneuvering room on base salary so they tried to make it up with the signing bonus.
Bonuses: Roughly 10-20% depending on performance
401k: 1.5% matching (why even bother if it's that low)
Additional 4-5% contribution to retirement savings
The work would be more interesting and varied than what I do now but probably also at least 25% more hours. Also future raises and promotions are more likely than at my current work. The recruiter said I'd be eligible for a manager position in 1-2 years, which according to Glassdoor would be ball park 150% of my current salary. I asked some other people who've worked at similar companies and they say that time frame sounds reasonable.

Current Job:
Bonuses: None
401k: 8.5%
Hours: 40 a week, work is interesting when there's enough of it but I'm often bored and don't have a lot to do. Overall office facilities and environment is also a bit better than at the new place.

According to Glassdoor I'm basically at the top end of the salary range at my company for my title. The next step up would be 15% more and after that manager is maybe 25% more than my current salary. So potential future earnings are much lower than at the new place. Seems like overall salaries at my work are low for the industry, probably because we only work 40 hours.

So I think the new place would be better long term for my career and I would like to work on more varied stuff/be less bored. The overall comp on the offer seems a little weak though. I'm thinking I'd want 110% for base salary as my counter offer. I think even with the bonus my hourly rate would probably stay the same or even go down a bit due to the increased hours. Does that all sound reasonable?

The only piece I don't know how to weigh is the potential future income/promotions at the new place.

bamhand fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Feb 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Well according to Glassdoor the overall career trajectory there earns a lot more than at my company. And I've talked to people at similar companies and they said they generally do promote every year or so unless you're a bad performer. Not saying you guys don't make good points but it doesn't seem like it's the recruiter just making stuff up to get an accept.

bamhand fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Feb 20, 2018

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Well I ended up countering with 110% without a sign on bonus. The recruiter made it sound like that was going to be a hard sell. Somehow she found it hard to believe I didn't want to take a 7% pay cut in exchange for a 15% sign on bonus.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I think the bonuses and the extra hours more or less make it a wash. So it'd be 130-135% of my current salary in exchange for +125% more hours. Basically my hourly rate would be roughly the same but with more work.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Well they came back and met my counter. The recruiter said she was surprised because by both agreeing to the salary and the quick response. Not sure how much of that is just her BSing me. One thing she mentioned is that their comp is strictly tied to position/title. So this changes me from Senior 2 to Senior 3, which is directly below manager, which would likely happen by summer of next year.

So I guess that works out pretty well for me. The 15% sign on bonus also vests over 3 years so this makes it easier if I decide I hate the long hours. I figure I'm still relatively young at early 30's so this can get my salary a boost before kids etc. And also this group is 0-20% travel instead of the usual 80% for most of the other consulting groups.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Is that something the background check would catch?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

It's better to lie about a pending offer (maybe the details are confidential!) than something possibly verifiable.

You can also use your own, uhh, liberal valuations on perks of your current job. I once made the case that free lunches and dinners if we stayed late was a $20,000/year pre-tax benefit and that needed to be matched if meals weren't covered, and they agreed.

Is that 25 bucks a meal, twice a day, for 50 weeks a year? That'll get you to to 12.5k so 20k pre tax? That's pretty impressive bargaining.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Congrats on the money.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Chaotic Flame posted:

Completely agree. I've never understood why companies stick to the archaic more-PTO-the-longer-you-stay thing when people aren't sticking around anymore. It's never a selling point. Or accruals throughout the year. I don't get that either. People aren't allowed to travel at the beginning of the year?

Our company bases it on title. Associates get X days, Senior Associates get Y, etc. All available day 1. It's better than the tenure system but still not perfect.

What's wrong with accruing hours as you work? Like you get 3 hours off per 40 hours you've worked. That seems like it would be the most fair system and is completely independent of the calendar year.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Chaotic Flame posted:

Can you negotiate that? I've never heard of variable matching rates per employee before.

I just got more base salary when I negotiated because the match at my company now is bad.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
At my last job in finance it was 20%. Now I'm in modeling/consulting and it's also about 20%. Maybe tech is lower, but 3.5% sounds waaay too low. Leverage your new title for a new job imo.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Sock The Great posted:

Yeah I am not going to up it now. $100,000 base is acceptable in combination with their lackluster benefits package.

Call is re scheduled for tomorrow afternoon. I fully expect to be asked what the hell I am thinking increasing my ask by 20%, I'll explain that their overall benefits package is less than I was expecting and that this is the fair rate with that taken into consideration.

I was pretty much in your same boat but without quite that big a difference. Was then currently making 100k w/no bonus and offered 100k w/~15% annual bonus. Once I received their benefits info I said I'm going to need 110k and that's what they ended up giving me. I was perfectly happy to stay with my previous work if they didn't match me. It's really a win-win situation for you since you it's up to you to take the better of your current situation vs their offer.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

Just as a note, don't accept bonus in lieu of salary unless it's unconditional (it won't be).

It's consulting work with a big four company. My understanding is that a bonus is pretty much expected unless you are really terrible at your job. The amount can definitely range but the minimum would probably still be 10% ish.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
How often would a company like Deloitte or E&Y not have bonuses? I'm pretty new to consulting, I kind of just assumed that people would get at least 10% on a bad year.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
In the US that should be +100k easy.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Is the work worse than what you're doing now? It seems to me 75k is already better than your current situation. Would you turn down anything less than 85k so you can maybe make 75k in a year?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
We have a "mandatory" PTO day this holiday season but they're also gifting us 2 days. Though technically you can just work from home on the mandatory day and record the hours as work instead of vacation. No one else in the company would be working so I'm not sure what you would even do though.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

ratbert90 posted:

And incorrect. Your current salary should in no way effect your next salary.

That seems pretty wrong? Your current salary (including the whole benefits package) should be a floor for your next salary at a minimum.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Yeah my fiancee just did that and ended up with an offer 20k over what she was willing to except (she really didn't like her previous job). She phrased it as I'm really excited about X as it really fits in with my interests/career goals etc. But I have another offer at a higher salary, I would prefer to join your company if you could meet me at salary Y.

Figured it couldn't hurt to sweet talk them a little with how great a fit you think the role is etc. and that you'd love to do that type of work.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
The advice would be to find a new job that pays you better because otherwise this company has no incentive to do so.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Understandable. You can certainly ask but the company has no reason to give you more money besides "out of the goodness of their heart" and they just demonstrated they're willing to cut your benefits.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
At least you know they weren't just lying to you when they said that's all they could afford. Probably.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Hahaha within 15%. Holy gently caress.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
But you tried to ask for more, even though you weren't successful. Her advice was to not even try to negotiate, just take the job.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Generally your health insurance will also cover you until the end of the month so if you left April 1st, you'd be covered until May 1st.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Just give an enormous number and say it's all contingent on benefits, work environment, hours, type of work, etc.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Job listing requirements are rarely if ever accurate. If you meet their list you are mostly likely way over qualified.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
As long as you're happy with your current job can't you just say no and ask for more? Like they can't compel you to work for them for X if you don't want to.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
My wife's last company had a rule where internal hires couldn't get more than a 5% salary increase. It's sure weird that their company has loving massive turn over.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Remember their payment for your relocation is taxed and, if I recall correctly, it's taxed at the rate for bonuses so it can be quite high.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Others can weigh in but I don't think you would get mileage allowance for something like this. It would be very reasonable to ask for more pay based on the increased commute. You can say you're excited about the role but based on the increased commute time/transportation costs compared to the discussed job you would like an increase in pay.

bamhand fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Aug 7, 2019

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Wait, is it one way or round trip? 90 minute round trip is pretty reasonable. Don't do it if it's one way.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

spwrozek posted:

Both suck. Especially going from 5 min.

My requirement is under 20 min bike ride.

45 minutes is extremely normal for any kind of urban area. Sure you can have your specific preferences but for most people that would eliminate >70% of their job opportunities.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
This is exactly like 99% of the posts in this thread. Your current company doesn't respect you and underpays you. Go to a company that doesn't. Seems like you have an offer so you're like 99% of the way there.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
If you're not young and single, travel suuuuucks.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Blech, just applied for a job and there's a required drop down menu for your salary requirements. Ended up just tacking on 20% to my current salary that's in the same location/industry. I'm willing to take a 5% bump so I figure anything beyond that will be gravy.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
That stock is worth what, 0 dollars?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
In my case it wasn't really possible to wait until after the background check completed. And actually for one of our new joiners hers didn't complete until weeks after she had begun work.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Just had an initial screener call and the person was pretty insistent on getting a number. I ended up taking my current base salary and tacking on our bonuses and tossed another 10k on top of that. Ended up being too high for the role but she did say she might have another one. I guess the system sort of works?

I'm currently making about 130k after bonuses/random perks right now in a consulting role and looking to get back into industry. Based on my research it seems like anything that matches my current salary but with more stability and not having to travel should be worthwhile. I'm thinking the 140 number I'm giving is pretty reasonable as a pie in the sky number? Most of the glassdoor salaries I'm seeing are a fair bit lower, like 100-125 range. Should I temper my salary expectations a bit since I'm getting out of consulting? I've heard our salaries are considered pretty high.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I mean no one decides if they're happy with their pay in a vacuum. So I'm under the impression that as a consultant, and with my particular company, my pay is generally higher than what most other people in a similar industry role receives. So if I'm to move out of consulting maybe I'm wondering if I should be happy with minimal or even no pay increase. Or if I should try to spend more effort shopping around and get more money.

It's not logical but in the end a person is going to be a happier if they know their salary is in the 90th percentile and the 20th percentile for their industry even if the actual number is the same. Plus if you're getting an offer that you know is at the 90th percentile then you know that you likely can't find a better one. It's silly to pick some personal number that works for you without paying attention to what's an appropriate salary for the job you're applying for.

So my question is essentially, is there enough of a difference in consulting vs industry salaries that I shouldn't be expecting to make much more than I am now?