Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Yeah you don't really want to sit on offers for long. If you're willing to stay at your company, you get the offer, then you take it to them and tell them that you're prepared to accept it.

If this is way ahead of your review, sometimes they will say something like "we'll give you X raise in a few months when your annual review comes up." This is what happened for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You interviewed at a front for a meth operation.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

psychokitty posted:

To my dismay and utter validation, I am grossly underpaid.

IMO dismay is the opposite reaction you should have. It's a sign of opportunity that you can make significantly more either at your current job or (more likely) by jumping ship.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

No - you need an offer to convince yourself what you're worth so you can ask for it confidently. Once you tell your managers here, you're done at your current job, even if they match it. You're forever marked as disloyal.

This is not true at all places. Six years after showing an offer to my employer from another place, I'm still working at the original place and making about 35% more right now than the second place was offering at the time, over 110% more than what I was making before showing the offer.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Aug 22, 2016

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

There is no typical percentage for promotions at all.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

I was making 62.5k a year into working with Company A. I received an offer in 2010 at Company B for 82k base plus 8k bonus.

Company A countered with 78k base - bear in mind I liked the company and didn't like the new location I'd have to commute to for Company B.

I agonized for a weekend and accepted.

I'm currently making 125k base still with Company A 7 years later, and get bonuses that range anywhere from 3-12k a year.

I feel like the advice against accepting counter-offers is bad advice because so few people actually take them in the first place (as there are usually more reasons for wanting to leave than just money), I wonder how based in real-life examples a lot of the conjecture about revenge and disloyalty is. It's certainly not something with as much evidence as "don't be the first to give a number."

Not that there aren't situations where accepting a counter-offer is the wrong move, but I just feel like it's way too situation-specific for there to be hard and fast rule to it.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jul 19, 2017

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

My claim is that most people overvalue the comfort of their current arrangement and are inclined to stay even when they shouldn't, so that in general I'm going to push people towards change because I believe their default state is biased in the other direction. The point isn't that staying at your current place is always bad, it's that it's statistically lower expected value than leaving. I'd guess that that was probably true for you as well, but we'll never know.

Eh, I have enough friends who have jumped companies a lot and have similar experience/skills that are at/below my salary level that I'm comfortable in saying I haven't left any money on the table. To climb higher I'd have to get even more into management than I am now and if anything I want out of it.

That being said, I'm highly considering jumping if I don't get a big raise for my annual review next week - the downside being that I'm not sure I could get a big jump going elsewhere, the upside being I'm in a position to hold out for one. I'm just not that interested in the work here anymore, it was good up until about a year ago.

Also I was more specifically talking about the oft-repeated mention of the company "holding it against you" if you accept their counter-offer. I have almost never heard of this actually happening but it's the first thing people in this thread say.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jul 19, 2017

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

I'll share my salary if they me what everyone who works there makes.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Nicely done, that's a hell of a bump!

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

If you're sure you're way underpaid, I'm not sure why you'd set your cap at current rate + 10%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Grump posted:

Quick question about bringing up a salary in a final round interview.

I get that the basic idea is to get the employer to disclose a number first, but is there any good way into leading the conversation that way if they don’t want to be the one to say the first number?

For example, what would i do in this situation:

:11tea: Employer: What would you like as a target salary?

:kiddo: Me: I’m definitely looking for market range and I’d like to hear about all the benefits, etc before making a decision on that

:11tea: Employer: *talking about benefits and package*

:kiddo: Me: Ah okay. Is there a salary range this company had in mind for this position??

:11tea: Employer: What number did YOU have in mind?

At that, point I’m not really sure how to control the conversation. Am i overthinking this?

Make sure beforehand to get an idea of what the market value is for that position. Ask for like the high end of that plus 10% from glassdoor or indeed (for example if it's 70-85k, ask for 93k or something) and make sure you say this is based on your research of comparable salaries for similar positions. That way they really have no cause to be flippant about that and now they're on the defensive. Just my opinion though.