Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tentawesome
May 14, 2010

Please don't troll me online
I want to thank this thread for getting me a new job with better pay, better benefits, and more PTO.

My currently income is 29k/year, and I'm living paycheck to paycheck. The standard for my industry is working under 2 year contracts. My current contract ends mid-January, and I went into my contract re-signing meeting earlier this month with a ton of information about our market and the average income for someone working in this industry; someone working in this city and this particular position should be making $33k, and I asked for $35k to reflect my experience and the fact I am the senior most employee doing this particular job. Instead I was offered a 1.5% raise and told, quote, "This isn't a negotiation. This is what we're offering you." I declined and was told my last day was January 12th.

In the meantime, I've been pursuing opportunities in other cities. After getting interviews for a dozen different positions and offers from multiple locations, I was able to successfully negotiate $46k/yr in a different part of the country with a climate I vastly prefer, as well as compensation for moving costs and a free hotel stay until I find somewhere to live, in exchange for being willing to start just a week after my current contract ends. This is despite me only having 2 years experience in an industry that tends to value experience over my very expensive college degree, and is about $5k over the average for this city and $10k over average for my experience level.

This is the advice from this thread I think that made the biggest difference:
Be willing to walk away.
Get a lot of interviews, and multiple offers.
Be willing to negotiate for things besides just salary.

tentawesome fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Dec 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tentawesome
May 14, 2010

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Awesome :)

Always nice to hear that a goon did well. Hopefully the new city doesn't have a commensurate increase in the cost of living! If you have a second, fill out the survey linked in the OP and enjoy your new job!

Fortunately, the suburb I'm looking for apartments in is only about 10% more expensive. Most of my pay increase is attributable to the hours I'll be working (3rd shift) and the fact that pay in my industry is very dependent on location. I'll definitely fill out that survey, because this thread has been a great resource for helping me build the confidence I need to fight for the paycheck I deserve.

tentawesome fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Dec 30, 2016

tentawesome
May 14, 2010

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

AWESOME!

I don't know why particularly but I love this post; you did your reading, stood your ground, bet on yourself and came out ahead.

Would it be okay with you to add your whole post to the OP as an example to others who come to the thread?

Go right ahead! I'd be more than happy if my testimonial helped others.

tentawesome
May 14, 2010

Gin_Rummy posted:

Yeah, I was kind of thinking of going the signing bonus route as it would probably be easier. However, they didn't offer one outright, so im questioning if that's something they're willing to add in.

You won't know until you ask! When I got my offer I replied to it with a list of things I wanted, and I got about half of them, and that included relocation reimbursement.