Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

3 years of salary history? Why does that even matter one bit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Please add to the OP

http://www.onionstudios.com/videos/tips-for-negotiating-your-salary-3957

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Gin_Rummy posted:

I mean, yeah, I get that, but it's kind of nerve-wracking just having an offer on the table without any kind of response since Thursday. And the Monday work day is already nearing a close too...

You can complain come Friday, until then chill

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

You said it yourself. Ask for Z and when they offer Y then take it. Who knows you might even get Z!

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

paradigmblue posted:

Accepted it.

Anyone looking for a kickass wine and spirits sales professional?

Isn't that essentially a sommelier?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

"Hi. After speaking with my family and comparing regional industry rates I would need a rate of $Blah to accept this position. As I mentioned in the interview I have experience doing THINGS THAT GOT YOU THE JOB DURING THE INTERVIEW. I hope we can come to an agreement on this and I look forward to working for company."

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Got a job offer! Yay! They don't offer 401k because of some misguided bullshit saying they can be sued for losses in earnings. Boo. What's a reasonable counter to compensate for lack of retirement? Being capped at $5500 a year in an IRA is really a bummer.

Pay is 70 that’s bumped up to 75 after 90 days.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

cold hard loving cash on the nail

barring that a bunch of vacation days i guess

Easiest money I've ever made. I kinda hosed up the email though and put 85000 after probationary period so I go from 70 > 85 after 90 days. Still happy. Still 10k

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

A second offer came in after I had accepted the first. It was slightly lower in pay but offering retirement and a better drive led me to taking it. Was still able to counter for more money to make up the gap.

I felt bad backing out of the first position but it was an easy conversation and the manager understood and wished me well.

It’s amazing how much this thread has helped over the years and negotiating and job dealing really is a head game you just need to get over.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I live in Houston and it entirely depends where you live and work. If you live and work “in the loop” then life is good with minimal traffic and plenty of local things to do.

Houston has a lot going for it but most people seem to focus on the sprawl and garbage weather. Avoid the suburbs and most of the problems go away.

George H.W. Cunt fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Apr 4, 2018

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

My girlfriends coworker just quit. Shes willing to do her job responsibilities since what she already does is closely aligned with what the other did. How does she try and show interest in taking on the other job but only if she gets paid more?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Everything you said is good. Also I’d see if there is compensation for waiving health insurance. I know at my job that if I decline I essentially get $400 added to my paycheck a month.

So get a more defined offer then ask for more money once things present a clearer picture.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

How is leaving a company burning a bridge? I hate that businesses have let that mentality creep into the consciousness of the worker. Leave them, thank them for the opportunity and being concerned about your recent loss, but you need to look out for you and your career.

Edit: LMAO you know you’re not thinking right and know it’s the wrong decision ultimately and you’re sticking with it. Goon in well indeed

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Definitely leave sooner than later because lol being fired for filing sexual harassment is lawsuit time and it’s not gonna be pretty

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Those alternatives are better than the first one. You have it down that you want X and say as such. Do not let it be open ended by them to agree to flexibility. After reviewing the offer I would like X and Y based on duties required, competitor offers. Also make sure to get that promotion in writing with a deadline

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Always send a counter. Mull it over. Accept if you like it. You can also try and delay and get those other interviews. Even then if the other interview proves successful and has a better offer you can certainly apologize to the first company and accept the other!

Edit: Oh it looks like you don’t have any other interviews coming up. Well nevermind. Point is you can accept an offer and later decline it in that time period before you start. It’ll be ok even if it does screw them over a little.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

So recruiters I feel are a little different. If you know your worth then you can absolutely dictate to a recruiter what you want. They more than likely have a job they’re trying to shop to you and you can quickly decide if it’s worth considering and going through the motions.

They’ll ask what your range is and you respond with what’s the budget they’re working with. If it’s good then say you can work with that.

Ask for Salary history? They can gently caress right off. Hard number you won’t go under? Sure maybe depending on how he conversation is going.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

My job made the mistake of heaping tons of praise on us and mentioning how much we saved the business per year and gave a pathetically small COL increase as a reward. Oops now 100% of the team is looking for new jobs.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

This is both the funniest and most depressing answer I could get.

Nah, no worries, I appreciate the thoughtfulness. I recognize that I'm one of the oldest employees at 30, and our store culture's young, wide-eyed idealism doesn't necessarily line up with the reality of business, especially retail, and especially from the perspective of the owner at 55+. It's a weird situation where we've made significant strides away from being your stereotypical board game store insofar as the culture and demographics of both our staff and patrons, but because this is still a retail store, we've made much smaller steps towards being economically progressive.

There's a lot tied up in that, and I am genuinely worried that I might be at the get-fired-or-quit stage despite really loving this place, but the economic disparity is a huge sticking point for me. For reference, the general manager makes 70k, while all of the part-time clerks combined make around the same amount. The managers all make 25k-35k, with me squarely in the middle of that range, and I can say with full confidence that the value each one of us managers generates individually is worth way more than what they're paid, and certainly way higher than the value-to-dollar ratio of the general/HR manager.

I'll keep stewing on it and talking with the other three managers to figure it out if this is a hill I'm willing to die on.

Just think of it this way. If you manage to get raises for everyone you wont be lined up against the wall more than likely!

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

momtartin posted:

I already accepted the non-official offer in writing :/

Like in an email or an actual signed offer letter? If you signed an offer letter oops you boned yourself. If it was just an email saying yea I accept then it’s the equivalent of a verbal over the phone.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Ask for 50% more your current salary based on the no relocation and less vacation. Hell ask for more vacation to match your current. See what they respond with. You can only improve your situation here.

Your friend says they won’t budge but you wouldn’t know that from your perspective. Ask ask ask.

George H.W. Cunt fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Mar 1, 2020

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Don’t confuse negotiating for your livelihood as a hand out you have to ask politely for. The company wants you to be timid and feel ashamed to ask for more and take what they give. That only benefits them by underpaying you.

Be confident in your ask. Don’t use phrasing that gives off an air of asking or permission. Use language that says “I am excited to work here, this is what it’ll take to do so”

Like the above said if someone pulls an offer because you dare ask for something then you absolutely dodged a bullet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I’d love to hear some more outlier cases for sure