Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

areyoucontagious posted:

If I can’t tell from Glassdoor what a good salary range for a very niche position is, and they don’t tell me what they’re offering, do I just throw a number out that I’d like to make based on similar but nowhere near equivalent positions?
Keep pressing for an offer from them. Don't name a number first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Defenestration posted:

Sure, I'll clarify this a bit. After a long research and user listening tour period, I contracted us with an enterprise DAMS vendor that has many other cultural sector clients. We host on their cloud so they do that maintenance (which is good since we have 3 IT people onsite total). I meanwhile project managed the rest of the implementation: organized the metadata schema, folder structure, initial asset delivery (over 100,000, which will grow), user groups, permissions, and request forms. I will plan all the training sessions, do an internal campaign to promote the thing (buy in is very important), and act as general admin in the future (adding/deactivating users, making sure people don't upload fool garbage, checking the analytics.

This is my museum's first DAMS, and this will bring us to the back of the curve. Most places are in the process of getting their second generation DAMS now. But because it's new and cool to my place, I am hoping that people will see its value. The social media people, for example, are quivering in anticipation of all the neat stuff they can post, without having to beg curators for content.
I'm not sure what that is, but it sure doesn't sound like a database in the usual technical sense. Maybe some sort of hosted CMS.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

sim posted:

I know from an initial conversation with the recruiter that they do have employees making more than $170K. For my title and location, $170K would definitely be at the top of the range, but ultimately it's only $30K/22% more, so it doesn't feel like an insulting or unrealistic ask. Thoughts?
Sounds like a pretty good plan. Don't forget that you could also ask for things like extra (recurring!) weeks of vacation, accelerated vesting, etc. if they can't budge on salary.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

WHY BONER NOW posted:

I am of the opinion that trading some of the sign on bonus for a higher base pay is a good trade. Is this correct?
If you're planning to stay around long enough, accounting for the time value of money. Don't try to make a trade until they balk at a straight-up increase, though.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Sock The Great posted:

So I shot for the moon. Asked for 100k and 5 weeks of vacation. We'll see what happens.
Whatever their response, congrats on having the ambition to make a proper ask!

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Grumpwagon posted:

I'm curious how people handle when a company publishes a salary range (fairly broad in this case, 40k) for a position, particularly when any point along the range would be an increase.

I'm well qualified for the positional duties, but not familiar with this company's industry. Familiarity with the industry is specifically called out in the nice to have section of the job description. My gut feeling is to ask for MAX-$10k, which would still be a great salary for the position and the area, and a big increase for me, but it kinda feels weird knowing I'm in essence leaving money on the table.

This is likely hypothetical, or at the very least getting ahead of myself, since it is a remote job advertised widely, with no guarantees that I'll get an interview, much less an offer. But it isn't a situation I've encountered before and I'm curious what people would do.

They've told you what they're willing to pay; why ask for a dollar less?

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Xtronoc posted:

So hear me out thread: 6 months ago, I got an internship at a small firm from a job board, promising x salary if the internship gets upgraded to a full time offer. Just a few days ago, the boss likes me, I like the place, sends me an offer that is about $8,000 off from x salary 6 months ago. Ask for a raise, but he only gave me a few more holidays. He must have think I forgot about the job posting. What's best way about this? I still have the saved job post with x salary, and I think I will send it as an attachment nonchalantly without any comments in the email?
Personally I'd act under the assumption that he himself forgot (or never even knew) about the details of the posting. If you have a strong market-value case to get more than the posting, great, ask for that, but you absolutely shouldn't accept less, and should gently and politely remind him of it if you can't get more.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

NNick posted:

They are emailing me an offer and I hope it is at the top of their range. Thanks thread! I’m buzzing.
Best case is that it's at the top of your range, and the bottom of theirs--which you can then negotiate your way up from.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
"I would be willing to accept as much as $37k above that figure, but no more."

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Good-Natured Filth posted:

I recently talked to a recruiter about a position in another state that I'd be very interested in. I am in no way interested in moving, however. Is it a waste of time going through the process with the intention of countering any offer I were to receive with "I'll take $X,000 less if I can work remotely"? Or should I be up-front about my "no-moving" policy and definitely ruin any chances I'd have at interviewing?

I'm in software, and have a lot of experience working remotely, so it's not a hard thing to imagine someone doing. And based on the salary range the recruiter gave me, I could afford to make that X reduction pretty high.
Working remotely for a company that isn't fully on board with the idea from the get-go seems like a bad plan.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Chaotic Flame posted:

I'm not even sure what I could negotiate here. This is the job I wanted in a city I really enjoy with much higher comp and WAY better benefits. Also the recruiter made very sure to emphasize that base isn't really negotiable because it's based on level and they're extremely focused on parity/pay equity.

Is there anything I'm not thinking about?

They won't retract the offer if you say "I'll sign immediately if you can bring that to $(x + 4%)" or whatever, and odds are good they'll give you a token bump (which is sitll a meaningful amount of additional money for you) just to get it over with. Why leave that on the table?

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Or a (larger) signing bonus. Or give an ask for all of the above and let them pick!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

SA Forums Poster posted:

Instead of accepting $x, I should have asked for $x+10% ?
Yes. Never don't negotiate.