Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Even if you aren't in a job seeker's market find a better recruiter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

CarForumPoster posted:

I'd at least give them another shot and just play ultra hardball. "I'm sorry guys, I love your company but the increase just isn't worth the risk of changing jobs. I'd love to join but you and I will have to compromise at ______ for me to accept." Be prepared to accept on the spot if they say yes.

...be prepared for them to not say yes haha

Eh, it sounds like he's already done that and this was their offer.

Just walk away. If they really want you they know how to find you and what it would cost.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

CarForumPoster posted:

My chief engineer shot down me moving saying I was critical to the program. My current group manager was slightly annoyed as they were trying to get a promotion for me already through the convoluted mess and don't like that continuing to do that looks like they're responding to me making a threat. Negotiating subverted :/

Look for that promotion externally.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Entry level jobs don't have much room to negotiate and you probably will have your ask rejected but it doesn't usually hurt to try.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
You should stop posting advice.

Just in case anyone listens to you.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

CarForumPoster posted:

You should quantify how your career is doing that merits your great ideas.

I went back to school after a decade in management and commission sales because my career had stalled. I am now doing consulting with one of the big 4, but am fairly entry level.

What bothers me about your advice is that I lived that advice and it doesn't work. Companies do not owe you anything. You can't afford to be complacent about your own career.

But - if you want to take a calculated risk, you absolutely should. That's going to be your call because only you know the situation. You just shouldn't give advice to others based on that.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Nobody in their right mind (employer or employee) should be planning for decades long employment.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Your salary and benefits from a job are probably worth a three hour return trip.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Any advice for negotiating a raise? I'm with a big consultancy firm and was up for promotion. I know I got the promotion but we haven't talked salary yet. My BATNA sucks, because I really don't want to leave this organization, and in any case my ability to move elsewhere gets significantly better after this promotion.

Other than asking around for what others make, and seeing what the same position pays elsewhere or to other people, I'm not sure what I can do. I'd appreciate any advice.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Pryor on Fire posted:

If anyone asked to see a paystub from the old place to start a new job I would be unable to contain my laughter, what a stupid loving request. Would you also like the pap smear results from my ex? gently caress off.

I've seen it asked in commission sales jobs.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I hope you have already started looking for a new job to get away from this new job.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

antiga posted:

I agree with both previous posters that you should negotiate in good faith and not move her goalposts after they match your ask, but in my opinion if he negotiated with the understanding he'd get 1.5x for OT and now he's getting 0x it's legitimate to revisit base salary.

Yeah I think this is what would open negotiations back up, even if it's not likely he'd ever receive the OT $ anyway.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
no

if a company takes a month to hire you and you find something else that's better in the meantime, sucks for the company that took a month to hire you.

You'll probably be burning a bridge with Company A, but even then it all comes down to how you frame it.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Probably what you think is an overpayment is in fact an underpayment, because you lack the proper context.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
You should see what other companies are like.

When do you graduate? Don't wait to graduate to find an offer...

e: Sorry I missed that you said this Spring.

You should already be looking for a new job based on your graduation date. Take advantage of any career office stuff your college / university offers.

1) Don't say no to doing interesting work if you're not leaving the company, even if you're underpaid.

2) Base your salary on what you can find in the market. You know your floor (55k), so go out and find out if the market agrees.

3) Seriously, leave your company. You're in a mindset that you need to stay there because you've been there so long. Change is hard. Don't let yourself get stuck because you don't want to make a change.

4) I think you need to really think about what your skillset is. You should be able to nail it down to a sentence or two, based both on what you're good at, and what you love doing. You don't need to tell anyone what you're thinking here, but use that to frame the type of work you want to do and the type of companies you try to work for. ".

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Nov 14, 2017

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

mod saas posted:

1) So to make sure I understand what exactly you mean, if current job offers me the new role before I'd take an outside job: you vote that I take it even if they lowball me, because better is still better and I'm looking for much better regardless. This is what I was thinking but I'm also suffering from comfortable.

If you are being offered more interesting work than what you are currently doing, I think you should take it, yeah. Obviously you should negotiate as hard as you can, but at the end of the day they hold the cards right now. If your BATNA is keeping your current, less interesting, job... as you say, better is still better.

Looking for new work needs to be your top priority though. Unless you're a 22 year old just wasting time, school is not over until you have a job as a result of that degree.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Eric the Mauve posted:

fwiw it seems to be a growing trend in HR the past couple years to play hardball on making the applicant name a number first, and they're getting more willing to let an applicant walk if they refuse. I think going forward it's going to increasingly be the case that if you're not the super clear #1 candidate then HR won't be bluffing on this point and won't fold.
I think this is one where it depends on how much sway the business holds vs HR. HR often doesn't care if the business needs to make do with their current staffing levels for another 6 months to find a cheaper candidate who fits the job. HR isn't the group that's understaffed in this situation.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Ultimate Mango posted:

While living in CA is nice, I don’t really get a lot of benefit from all of the insane rules we have. Managing people in CA kind of sucks, since there is extra stuff you have to know about. I appreciate knowing that I can’t ask about salary any more, but it’s kind of nice being able to ask from the hiring perspective.

Double edged sword and all that.

You know (theoretically at least) what your absolute max you're willing to pay for the position is, and if someone's salary is higher than that you can just move on to the next candidate, so really it's just about a tool to help you pay less than what you think an employee is worth. Previous salary is not indicative of future performance.

It's not a double edged sword unless you think every organization has a duty to minimize an employee's pay (which some would argue they do, but that's also how we got into this boat where employees have no faith or loyalty in their employers and organizations can lose good people for what amounts to a pittance in the grand scheme of things).

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Grump posted:

What's the protocol when you apply for a job that has the salary in the job posting? Like if the post says 45-68k, am I supposed to pretend that I didn't see that and negotiate for what I want or am I supposed to negotiate for 68k?

Negotiate for what you want, but recognize where they’re anchoring and what impact that might have (that could be their legit budget, though it seems a bit unlikely). Salary ranges outside of unionized environments aren’t always adhered to.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Eric the Mauve posted:

Never ever ever ever weigh "potential future income" as a factor when making career decisions. It is, almost invariably, an empty promise made my management to avoid paying you now. They are lying.

I think there's a difference between potential career trajectory and possible bonuses or internal promotions. Consulting > out of consulting seems to be a pretty effective way to jump a couple levels, depending on what your field is.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Goodpancakes posted:

Are federal government offers negotiable? What's negotiable in them? Can I request a rate change from tech to a professional listing? Can I ask for a higher step?

Canada here, but you can definitely negotiate a higher step. Basically the only thing that's negotiable though, and you've only got one chance to do it (when you take the job).

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Why are you not already looking for a better job?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Based on your posts in the corporate thread, the approach is for you to find a new job.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I think you specifically should push for a title change as non-negotiable. Salary, well, push as hard as you can. At the end of the day it doesn't matter though, unless you're in a position to leave. You aren't a potential new hire they're excited about, you aren't even a star performer they're worried about losing. You're someone they need to rely on because they are stretched to capacity. Your BATNA is zero and your leverage in the moment is extremely temporary.

I mostly think you should look for a title change to help tell a story about your career progression with the next employer. I don't think salary matters with your current employer, because any marginal increase won't make up for the rest of it, and is just incentive to stick around longer.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

bamhand posted:

How often would a company like Deloitte or E&Y not have bonuses? I'm pretty new to consulting, I kind of just assumed that people would get at least 10% on a bad year.

Depending on level and area of practice some years the bonuses can be smaller than expected.

You can’t pretend like it’s not part of compensation. Obviously if you could get it as salary, you should, but you also shouldn’t treat it as 0$, because it’s not even close to that.

In a previous career I worked for a place where our bonuses were directly tied to P&L, which we saw and had control over to a certain extent. You could see 50%+ of salary if you were in the right area and had a good year. Even a bad year was 10-15%. The only way to not get a bonus was to actually finish negative after paying corporate. Salaries weren’t amazing though, considering the level of responsibility.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Hoodwinker posted:

I would be surprised to hear you end up struggling significantly more than most developers out there once you get on track. I'm glad to hear you're giving it a shot, though. I know there are threads here on SA that focus on both developing skills and on development opportunities. I'm sure they can provide you some more support.

With regards to risk aversion, I would consider myself a fairly risk averse person. However, there are a lot of risks we unknowingly take by choosing not to engage certain portions of our world or by challenging ourselves. Doing research, seeking out new experiences, and deciding not to do certain things based on the merits of another path is far less risky than doing no research, not seeking out new experiences, and deciding to stay the course because you're afraid of what you'll find. Don't confuse fear of change with risk aversion. This is why the other goons and I have pushed the message of getting out there so hard: it's a lot less risky than I think your gut is telling you - and we know this - and when you've taken a few more steps you'll know it too and can bask in it.

Best of luck to you!

yo this is a really good post. Fear of change is such a killer.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I gave my notice last week. I did it without a conversation with my current employer for two reasons: I had to wait to get a large bonus to give my notice, and it’s a big raise (30%) in addition to being a promotion and a great opportunity and I didn’t think my work would be able to match (it’s not just the money).

I’ve been told that they are possibly willing to make me an offer I can’t refuse. I honestly don’t know what that looks like.

Is there a scenario where you would stay after giving notice? I don’t think the normal “they’ll be looking for a replacement” advice applies just based on conversations I’ve had. I think this is about wanting me to stay long term. Note that as with all things I could be wrong. I’m going to have a conversation with my partner about this and I don’t want to be blindsided with an ask without thinking about it beforehand.

There is a cost here in that I would burn a bridge with the competitor I signed with. I think if I leave I don’t necessarily burn the bridge with my current employer. I’m not sure what else I need to consider.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
You absolutely should be looking for a new job but your department head doesn’t owe you anything. Not letting you leave on an assignment when it puts her department’s work in jeopardy is doing her job.

Assignments are horrible for managers in a lot of cases. You often lose the person but can’t hire to replace them because theoretically the person is coming back even if you know they’re not. All that being said, you’ve made a decision to leave so you should leave one way or another.

Also - thanks for advice upthread. Meeting with partner today. I’ve been trying to work out what would get me to stay, and unreasonable is the key word there. I don’t think it makes sense to stay. I just hope I can leave on good terms.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Long term is “what if we end up at the same (different) company together down the road”.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Biomute posted:

I'm sure this has been brought up before, but would a standing "you should probably just switch jobs" thing be useful in the OP? If most posts get replies that are either "you don't want to work there, run", or "your play is to find a new place to work" that's more like /r/relationships than a thread about negotiation. It's probably good advice, but it's not really on topic.

I think the key here is that negotiating is mostly something you do when you get a new job.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Your life is more important than your job.

If you can't move, say that. If they're still interested, great. If not, you'll be ready to move in two years or whatever, so say that too.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Godline posted:

Got a great performance review for second year in a row so asked for a raise. Got told business is looking at redundancies and its probably best if we dont get your name up in front of management asking for more money when there is lay offsI can pickup if you're in Ottawa. Sounded fine with me at the time but I now hear that we are likely hiring another person of my grade to support the work load its going to increase 3 fold over the next 6 months.
Am I better off just looking for a new job instead of wasting my time bringing the pay rise back up. Part of me just wants to rip the guy a new one and call him out on his blatant lies.

lol

go looking for a new job dude. ripping the guy gets you nothing but burnt bridges

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Something Offal posted:

I love that your clipboard snippet got caught in this post I think. I bet because ctrl+v is next to ctrl+b. Were you buying something (hard drugs) from Craigslist?

Hah. Oops. I am a nerd and am buying board games off Facebook.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Honestly man, I might stay. 4 days remote is good. The promotion is good.

Look again in 6-12 months obviously, but look from a position where the new salary and title is your baseline.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It’s not personal for the company either. They paid market value. When they were presented new information, they changed their compensation.

Don’t stay just because you feel guilty, but do stay if you’re going to have better outcomes a year from now by staying (ie better salary and position with which to negotiate your next move).

Unrelated but also... full time remote is hard. Have you done it before? If not, think long and hard about whether or not it’s the right choice for you.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Absolutely do not take a job based on promises of what will happen down the road.

Take it for what is on paper in front of you.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Try to take the 30%. Otherwise ask for more from your boss, otherwise still take it and start looking for a new job.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Um I think you’ll find that I’m a special and unique flower and things are different because reasons.

I posted in the thread that talks in the very first post about BATNA to explain why my BATNA wasn’t relevant and I deserve more money and what can I do to get more money.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Eric the Mauve posted:

It just seems like you don't like the answer you're getting (which is "sure, feel free to ask nicely for more money and tell them why you think you deserve it, but they are going to say either 'no' or 'maybe later', and it seems like you're being paid about what you're worth already") so you keep trying to re-ask the question from different angles. Not sure what else we can do for you here.

Jordan, how's your new gig going?

Amazing

My last place loved me and I was doing well there. I was on a good pace to get 2 promotions in maybe 3 and a half years.

My new place loves me and I’m doing well here. And they’re paying me significantly more. And they hired me with 1 promotion and now I’m on pace for the second by year end.

Leaving jobs is hard but good. Would recommend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
If you get a promotion with no raise I’m of the opinion you take it if it increases potential earnings. Good opportunity to look for a new job though. Elsewhere.