Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I applied for a job with a listed salary between X-Y dollars. This company has conditionally offered me the job with a salary of Z, which is within the originally posted range. While this salary is fine in a vacuum (and more than what I was looking for when I started the job search), said job is in a very high CoL area (DC/MD kill me) and squeezing a few more bucks out of this place can't hurt.

Now, the reason the offer is conditional is because its contingent on the company being awarded a government contract, which they won't know the result for a couple more months. And a security clearance, but that's a different issue. I would be a full employee of the contracting company (insurance, vacation, 401k, and such), but I would get paid out of the contract funds.

Blurb3947 posted:

"I would be happy to sign the offer letter for $X salary..."

Does this work for federal contractors? I never dealt with government stuff before, but I always figured government contracts were highly itemized. $X for Parts, $Y for Labor, etc. Asking can't hurt, but how much wiggle room is there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

This company isn't a startup, they been around since the 80s IIRC and have been working with this particular client for 20 years. In fact, when you go to their website, there is a news post saying "[company] has been awarded significant contract with [client]" and that's why during the interview process I assumed everything was good to go. It wasn't until the offer letter came in that these folks told me this particular role hasn't been officially signed off yet and need to wait a few more months.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Is it better to negotiate in terms of a statement or a question?

Like, "I want $X" vs "Can you go up to $X?"

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Apr 17, 2024

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

My concern, as pointed out to me on the previous page, is I'm negotiating off a federal contract and there's typically not a lot of wiggle room on those things.