Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
this is a very useful post on negotiating offers: http://www.kalzumeus.com/2016/06/03/kalzumeus-podcast-episode-12-salary-negotiation-with-josh-doody/

it says podcast but they transcribe the whole thing if you prefer to read

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
So you still have no idea of what kind of package and position you could have gotten elsewhere.

Seriously, what is the opportunity cost of going to one interview?

For all you know you could have gotten 30% more somewhere else, but you're still flying blind. Loyalty doesn't mean you can't evaluate fair compensation.

I'm not saying the factors you listed aren't important, but you may find that there is a better fit that handles all of those things important to you. But you won't know unless you go out and seek that info.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

CarForumPoster posted:

I generally post here to give people advice. In this case the useful advice is "be patient", don't get angry or react too quickly.

The learned lesson is 1) Ask for your compa ratio cause hey they might tell you and 2) be patient.

The advice/lesson is not "don't look for other jobs" and being patient doesn't have to involve that. As many people have pointed out, it doesn't hurt to look for other jobs and I agree thats generally good advice. Its not useful in my exact case but agree that isn't the general case.

So if it doesn't hurt to look for other jobs why didn't you? You say it isn't useful in your particular case but haven't provided a single reason why that's so, aside from that you apparently don't care about getting a better BATNA... so why bother posting as if this is elucidating for anyone else?

Without a good reason for the above, the takeaway advice from your case so far is "do nothing and get lucky".

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

C-Euro posted:

What about the situation where a recruiter says that they "need" a number in order to move things along? That's actually how I got one of them to give up the number- I jokingly told her $1 and she said they needed an actual number or their online form or whatever BS wouldn't work, and after I stalled for a few moments she said "well how about this, their stated budget maxes out at $X so why don't we put that down?" and I was perfectly happy with $X.

I'm guessing that no staffing person ever needs a salary number that early in the interview process, but if I know how much money they can spend on the position (and know that I'm worth it) it doesn't seem wise to sell myself short. And if they say "we can't do your interview without a number" then saying "thanks but no thanks" doesn't seem so smart either. Would it be better to say "$(X-5%) is cool", then if they eventually extend an offer, say "actually, I want $X now"? That seems to go against the "never give a number first", though I guess if they already gave me the budget then they technically gave a number first.

Say that you consider compensation to be a whole benefits package, of which salary is one part. If they need a number to move forward, put the max allocated for the position. Tell them you're more concerned about it being a good mutual fit, and if you and the company both agree on that during the process, you're sure the numbers can be worked out.

(The numbers may not work out.)

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
Did you ask for a raise? "Think" does not sound very promising at all.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
A 5% bump for what sounds like a whole additional set of responsibilities is a bargain for the company. Probably too late to fix it now, but you could have asked for a lot more.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

teardrop posted:

I’d like to ask for $5-15k more depending on their offer, but what’s the nicest phrasing for my counteroffer?

Answer this for yourself honestly: What is your "winning" number? Is it [Offer + $5k]? [Offer + 15k]? You can skip the back and forth of negotiations and show you're committed to the job by telling them the offer is very interesting and you have some other offers to consider - but if they can see their way to [winning number] then you'll sign immediately.

Not saying this is the best way to do it, but it's an option.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Tetramin posted:

Thanks for the responses, it basically confirms my own thoughts but maybe I’ll see if I can pick a lawyers brain just in case.

My other question is regarding PTO(my next negotiation is gonna go way better now that I’ve read a lot of this thread).

My offer letter and conversation with HR(over the phone) say 80 hours of pto, and after 3 years 120, accrued monthly(no rollover). Kind of lovely compared to last job but hey I need employment.

Anyway, I received another document after completing the online onboarding(completed after I accepted the offer) that said 40 hours pto until your 2nd year, 80 in the 2nd year, and 120 in the 3rd. I feel like my offer letter contradicts this policy. It feels a little bit misleading to me for things to be presented this way. I’ll be asking the HR person I meet on day 1 about this but if the second document is what they say is law, can I bring up the offer letter to try and get 80 for the first 2 years? It’s not like I’ll tell them to pound sand and walk out if they say no...

Why would you wait until after you start? E-mail HR immediately and tell them that what you signed on the offer letter isn't what that document says, and if they can confirm that it will be fixed in the payroll system before you start.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

zelah posted:

New twist I wasn’t expecting, they couldn’t give me the increase I wanted because it would put me above someone on the team who is in a higher band than me. I don’t think that should be my problem, but whatever.

The only reason they didn't give you the raise they wanted was because they didn't want to.

That is a bullshit excuse that they believed they could sell you. Does that other person know your salary? If not, then why does it matter?

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Fratstar_Eatpuss posted:

This is an entry-level position and pretty much my second job out of college and even though I have good experience I don't have a whole lot of it and my major is kind of irrelevant, so I feel like what you're telling me to do is a little too much of a power move. Either that or I'm just not confident enough to say it, but that's still great advice, thank you.

Congrats on getting them to bump up your salary a bit, but I think you're very misguided on this part. Here's a few things to keep in mind when it comes to the negotiating stage:

1. They want to hire you. You've passed all the interviews and they think you are the best fit for the position right now. They will go to great lengths to make sure to hire you. They have already looked at your experience and your major and have decided that they still want to hire you, so they don't give a gently caress about that and neither should you.
2. It will almost definitely be more expensive to go through the entire recruiting process again than to seriously consider your demands.

You have a lot more power than you realize at the offer stage, so you can definitely be bold.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
That is a very long way to say that you work at a specific FAANG company and you are looking to transition to another FAANG. I am going to assume that is the case. If that's not true, ignore all of the following advice.

You can ask your recruiter what level you will enter as once you finish interviewing and they are ready to give you an offer. I recommend them going on the Blind app and searching for offers for that level from that company (note that aside from that, it is a garbage app with an awful userbase). Then ask for the total comp you want for that level if you need to, but otherwise you should still try to make them give you an offer first. Note that this advice changes depending on the specific FAANG company you're going to.

Also as a reminder if you're in California, employers are legally obligated to provide you the salary range if you ask for it, which can help you build your target comp number and get a better understanding of how your comp will be split up.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Comrade Gritty posted:

More or less, Amazon is my current employer and Microsoft is the potential new company (I don't think Microsoft is technically a FAANG). I'm not going through a recruiter, I'm talking with either the hiring manager, or their skip level (depending on specific position) directly as the role was an internal referral directly to them, so I think they're somewhat in control of the leveling of the positions. I'll take a look at the blind app thanks!

I figured it was Amazon because of the vesting schedule, but didn't want to be more specific than that in case you wanted some anonymity. Just know that Microsoft's RSU grants are usually worse than Amazon's.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

silvergoose posted:

Okay I'm potentially at offer stage. Had my first in person interview and they seem to really like me. I also have an in person interview with a different company later this week.

They seem very intent on getting a number out of me, this is for a principal software engineer in the Boston suburbs (i.e. not in the city).

I'm trying to decide what I should say. Given that this is my first interview, I don't have any specific knowledge of comparable salaries.

I love the location and mission, and merely like those two things for the company I have later this week, and don't have any in person interviews scheduled otherwise.

Push until you are at the offer stage. Say you want to focus on fit first and if you all agree on that then the numbers shouldn't be a problem.

If they say they want a number to make sure you're not wasting everyone's time then ask them what the salary range for the position is, since they clearly have an idea already of what they're willing to pay.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
"That's a very interesting package. If we can get the total compensation number to X, I'll be able to sign immediately. I'm open to seeing that reflected in base salary, equity, or the expected bonus target."

Or some variation of that. There is no harm in asking. It's not about the market rate - it's about what they're willing to pay you.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Rex-Goliath posted:

I brought up the fact I'm very unhappy with my comp to my boss during the review and he both acknowledged that I'm underpaid while also saying it's going to take six months to make any progress on fixing it.

Part of the reason I follow this thread is to see the amazing excuses management gives when it comes to reasons why they don't want to give you more money.

They're almost always a convenient lie, and even if it's true, that's your boss's problem to deal with, not yours, since you should be looking for a new job immediately.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Rex-Goliath posted:

What all do I need to consider if I switch over to contract work? 31 years old in PA for health insurance, single. A recruiter hit me up with a one year contract and the hourly rate is.... wow. Also it’s a year long.

My long term goal has been to eventually contract on my own and eventually start my own consulting firm. Was planning on waiting a few more years until I really jumped in but if it falls into my lap like this then why not?

You will have to do your own taxes and pay your own health insurance costs, to start. Go from there and then factor in how much work it is to sell to clients for consulting and see if it's worth it

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

got off on a technicality posted:

When I got my current job I opened the negotiation with an ask of ~40% more than what I was previously making and my new employer willingly met that ask. I told them what my previous salary was to give them context. The narrative was: I'd been underutilized in my previous role and had exactly the skillset they were looking for to take them through their next phase of growth. They knew what they were getting and I knew exactly what I was worth. I was also able to back channel through a friend who helped present my case to my employer

You likely could have gotten more money with less effort by keeping your mouth shut.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Tiny Tubesteak Tom posted:

I am currently making $14/hr to start and I anticipate a $1-2/hr raise based on the completion of the probationary period and what I have gathered from overhearing others in the office. Had I known the full scope of my current responsibilities, I doubt I would have accepted the original offer and would have negotiated a higher starting amount right off the bat. I work simultaneously as a copyeditor and a video editor. Most jobs of this type in my area make $22-24/hr minimum. Not sure if any of this information is particularly relevant.

Despite that, I would consider $18/hr to be suitable compensation for me in my current role as I think that staying with this company for a little while could significantly improve future job prospects. I know that you both 1) never say a number and 2) never make the first offer, but beyond that I'm just not sure how to appropriately handle this situation because I don't think I'm keen on sticking around if they're just going to give me $15/hr til my next review a year from now.

Let's put this hypothetically. What would you do if they did not give you this raise? Your boss just says "no" and there's no further discussion. Would you stay with the company?

If so, you have no leverage because you have no viable alternatives. The only way to avoid this is to have an alternative that you would realistically take.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Tiny Tubesteak Tom posted:

No. I would graciously accept unemployment and begin the interviewing process

In that case, you should start interviewing yesterday.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Keystoned posted:

The only reason im interviewing is to get a feel for a good market number. I dont want to move and i dont want to work at this company so my worst case is i dont get a number i would 99% decline anyways.

Also when I declined to give them a number they said it was just to make sure my expectations werent too high and then they said “for instance, 150 we could never get to”. What if anything does that mean other than the obvious? Did they give away their high end - if so is what would you guess that at?

Why not just ask them what their salary range is for the position?

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
Do you have a pending bonus payout at your current place? You can express it in terms of wanting to start soon, but you're expecting a large bonus payout at your current spot that you would like to see matched.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Omne posted:

Got an offer where the bump in starting salary almost matches the salary at my first real job; kinda want to negotiate it up just to hit that.

Real question: how do you evaluate stock options as part of your comp? This is a start-up, post-series A but profitable. I'd be giving up my options in my current place which is much closer to paying out around half a mil

they are worth $0 until a liquidity event and that is the best way to think of them.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

tokenbrownguy posted:

Got an interview through a third party recruiter for an app admin gig. The job ad is looking for a full admin but the recruiter is submitting me as a "junior" admin. I'm 90% qualified for the full admin role and confident I could handle it with a normal few months of onboarding and adjustment. Having read this thread I'm guessing that the recruiter is trying to undersell my salary to make an easy buck because my current title is a mid-level helpdesk tech (which doesn't reflect my experience being said app admin thus :yotj:).

I've not discussed salary or any other expectations and I've got a full time gig so there's little pressure. Would I be out of line to say I'm applying for the full role when I actually speak to the company in question during the interview? Or do I go forward under the assumption that I'm applying for the junior role and just tell 'em to get hosed if they offer me a pittance? There's also the possibility that I get an offer marginally better than my current situation--do I take getting labeled with an inferior job title and just try and jump ship in six months elsewhere for the full admin title?

If you are only willing to accept a full admin role, it can only benefit you to set the expectation upfront that you're only interested in interviewing for a role where the title, job requirements, and compensation are for a full admin role, and are not willing to consider a junior admin role.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

jemand posted:

That same poster has spent months in another forum talking about how they got their partner to be overemployed by not quitting their wfh job when taking a new in person job.

It's either an elaborate troll or it'll explode hilariously in classic goon disaster mode.

Hello I would like a link to this if possible, for entertainment