Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

I have two questions, but first: shoutout to this thread for giving me the courage to negotiate in the past. I’ve had a 100% success rate negotiating so far. It’s kinda incredible to have companies interested in my skills and offer nice benefits and fully remote work. Thanks for helping me crawl out of the family poverty ditch!

I’m mid-interviewing with a company that seems deeply interested in my skillset right now (in this economy, no less, holy poo poo), and barring unexpected circumstances, I think I’ll get an offer. At the very least, it has me thinking about how I’d handle an offer.

1. When a startup that’s survived for almost 10 years gives you an offer on the high end of a salary range, what’s the protocol for negotiating? Since I kept talking after I heard the range, I’m thinking I can’t push past the cap. It’s a great range for me (15-35% over my last job), but I want to get what I can.

2. I have yet to work somewhere that has given me a raise since retail, and I’m tired of it. Is it possible to lean on a company during the offer period to provide a clear path to salary revaluation? Even something to secure yearly cost of living increases would make a difference. I can’t tell what’s appropriate to ask for here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

Thanks everyone—and yep, I’m in UX! My instincts on how to approach it were correct, but I didn’t want to undersell myself on accident. I’ll ask them about their CoL/merit process. I’ll keep their equity offer in mind, too.

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

The role I was pretty deep on ended up being a flop, which is sad but not unexpected in the current market.

That being said, while I’m here, how do I best understand what to expect or ask for in terms of equity with start ups? I really only know the bare minimum (you know: equity becomes cash someday, in theory). When a start up offers X equity amount, I have no way to tell what my reaction should be, especially if it comes at the cost of reasonable salary.

This might be a big or nonsense question, so I can clarify if needed.

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

silvergoose posted:

No, it's actually a very easy question. Treat them as lottery tickets and mostly worth nothing whatsoever. Don't sacrifice salary for them ever.

Lockback posted:

I think they're asking what should you expect. I disagree that you should consider them worthless, they don't replace salary and they shouldn't be "counted on" but they should be looked at as part of the equation and shouldn't be looked at like a throwaway.

In my experience there's usually a pretty set policy on what gets offered for what level, at least until you get to the top levels. I think the same applies here if you are behind the 8-ball: Let them make the first offer.

Edit: Also

marumaru posted:

based on the % of startups that ever actually amount to anything nah i do consider equity basically worthless.

Both (Edit: All three of) of these perspectives help me, honestly—thanks! I think I lost some face with my last company when I asked them about CoL pay for everyone as opposed to die hard belief in the future of the product by accepting more equity. I imagine most companies do offer roughly the same package for employees barring the upper echelon. I’ll keep dropping apps with start ups, since I have experience in that environment.

Final edit: As it stands, I value income above equity by default, because I gotta pay the bills now and save for situations like this one where I’m laid off and stuck. I’ll just keep it in mind that it’s more a weird gamble bonus and not to be accounted for in salary calculations.

broken pixel fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Mar 28, 2024

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

I mean, poo poo, the reality is I wanted to bail at 3 years on the previous company, but the structure of the startup shifted too much to accommodate things like “design.” I’d much rather end up in the middle of a large corporate mass in the long run, but now I’m stuck at 2 years experience, just under expectations for most large company roles. Not like that’s stopped me from applying to 3+ years experience jobs, but still.

Sorry about derailing the negotiations thread, oops

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

I spoke with a company today looking for a part-time UX Design contractor, and I've sent over an initial rate of $60/hour (number I reached after considering my previous salary and comparing to other contract rates on the market right now). I'm ready to accept $55/hour, but if they want to go lower, I'm torn on saying no. I know I should, but I both need the money and the portfolio boost. Also fighting the demon in my head that says I went too high with $60/hour, but I'm reminding myself that a reasonable company will come to the table with good faith. My worst case scenario right now is working for a gas station chain, which I'm not thrilled about (gently caress yeah retail/food service combo job), but money AND insurance would be very nice while I hunt for a permanent role.

Hopefully they respond by end of day, and I can move forward knowing I'm temporarily but gainfully employed!

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

Lockback posted:

Thats an absurdly low contractor rate

It's extremely on par with every contract rate I've seen for similar roles, experience, and expectations, but if there's a good resource for citing contract rates, I'm all for it. Considering this is a short contract, I can set up better rates in future negotiations.

Hadlock posted:

Are you working in the UK or eastern europe?

I guess if you already priced yourself at $60 that's now the negotiation ceiling. If they want to go lower just say "$60 is already a very fair price, I can't accept less than that." and leave it at that

I'm in the U.S. Valid point on any counter offer—I will do that.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

do you at least have a LLC set up?

Usually 1099 contractors do not get health insurance. So budget for that, and budget at least 16% for payroll tax obligations, plus income taxes on whatever you take home.

Nah, I wouldn't expect insurance from a 1099 contract. I've budgeted through everything for now and I should be clear, even if the rate is considered low nationally. Cost of living here is, uh... rock bottom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

Beefeater1980 posted:

I have been hiring permanently since joining my new role. Last year I hired a team of 5 up to 8, then once I filled my headcount I was given another set of problems to fix and told to hire a larger team to go fix it. I’m now being threatened with another set of interesting(tm) problems to fix.

As a result, in the past few months I have done somewhere between sixty and eighty interviews as hiring manager. Here’s some stuff you can do if you’re applying for a role with someone like me to make it more likely they will go fight HR if necessary to get more resources to hire you.

* Ask good questions during the interview. Be interested in the role. Curiosity is an extremely strong indicator of a good hire.
* Have some cool or interesting insight about our business. At a minimum, know what we do and who our main competitors are.
* Know your domain well, be able to answer technical questions.
* Give concrete examples as much as possible. Lots of people can BS convincingly, but fall apart when you ask them to give examples
* Push back if you disagree with something and think you can back yourself.
* Ask for a second interview with me after receiving but before accepting your offer. One candidate did this and had such great questions I was impressed.

There’s a limit to how much a hiring manager can actually achieve by tussling with HR, but the expected outcome isn’t zero.

This is a good post. Thanks for sharing!