Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
I work for a small animal hospital that was privately owned until June of last year when it was bought by two of the associate veterinarians with backing from a corp that owns about 30 other hospitals. We had all been underpaid, and understaffed so part of the purchase was raises for existing staff and the hiring of new staff.

At the time, I was very happy with my bump - I was promoted to lead tech, and got a 20 percent raise. I just found out though that one of the new hires at the time, who exaggerated her credentials, is making more than me. This is a person who technically works below me (lead tech is in fairness not like, a super prestigious title at a small hospital), and isn't licensed like I am, despite saying she was. I've also been with the hospital since it opened.

A) Literally until the second I found that out, I was quite happy with my pay, and feel I am well compensated for what I do
B) I technically shouldn't know what she makes, and have always sort of had the philosophy that I don't wanna know what other people make, or let them know what I make.
C) I'm annoyed, but not enough to leave a job that I like with clients and coworkers that I like.
D) This is, like I said, a small hospital. I have drinks with the office manager and head doctor most nights, so I feel extraordinarily awkward talking money with them, versus some giant faceless corporation.

I feel like, on paper, I'm right to feel raw about this, but I have no clue how to approach it as I'm not willing to walk over it, and am ultimately happy, but man, this has been a huge shift in how valued I feel, and it's fairly demoralizing. Do I mention it ahead of my yearly review? Let it go, since I was previously satisfied with my pay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

leper khan posted:

find another job paying more than the other person makes.
I mean, I think that's the gist of my question, am I just being petty worrying about what someone else makes, or what?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Lockback posted:

A) So its good that you feel well, remove the other person from the equation. Are you paid market rate? Do you have a BATNA that is significantly more? Is it possible this new person is just overpaid?
B) Don't think like this. Sharing salary is fine.
C)Ok, so it sounds like they are paying you properly.
D)But then this sounds like a good deal for your bosses.

So ultimately if you don't want to talk about pay and don't want to leave you're probably going to be underpaid. If you don't think you'll leave I wouldn't make a big thing about it but you can probably talk about wanting a pay review, but since they just gave you +20% they probably will ignore you.
All fair points, I appreciate everyone's input. I think I was secretly hoping someone would tell me there was a certain way to loudly sigh that would inform them that I need to be paid more without an uncomfortable conversation. I think my current plan is gonna be essentially this:

Parallelwoody posted:

"Hey guys, why does the new person with less experience and credentials make more than me, and how are we going to fix that?"
But with much less confidence.