Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Work From Home policy: Two days of WFH per week permitted. You must be in the office the other five.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

No, you should ask for more money.

Your gut is traitorous and lying to you.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Good negotiators ask for what they want and they do not qualify it.

Gonna nitpick your nitpick: Good negotiators don't really ask for what they want. They tell the other party "I can do this deal for $X."

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Lockback posted:

A lot of places have policies in place around PTO so getting the money is a big win, nicely done!

Most places are inflexible on PTO, but it's still wise to ask for it. It gives them something to say no to, so they can say yes to giving you more money without feeling like they lost.

(As always I know you know this, just explaining it for the thread's benefit. Always ask for more than you're willing to accept!)

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Blurb3947 posted:

Here is my template for success:

"I would be happy to sign the offer letter for $X salary..."

That's literally all I said.

Never don't negotiate.

:thurman:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Jordan7hm posted:

Conversely, I wouldn’t take 30k less for a day less a week.

I would, as long as it's still enough not to put me in financial distress.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The better answer to that question is "No."

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I missed that part and that is very true.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

My personal optimal 40 hour week would be 16 hours Monday, 16 hours Tuesday, 8 hours Wednesday

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

It is always better to say what you want than to ask for what you want.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Lockback posted:

That's kinda ballsy to play everyone against each other in the same company but obviously she had leverage

Well played by her. But I'd keep my resume state of the art if I were her. She has them over a barrel now, and smartly turned her leverage into money, but they may get right to work mitigating that and then looking for someone cheaper for the long term. Unless this is outside the US and in a jurisdiction where "permanency" is contractual and not just a pinky promise.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

At most of my client companies in the big global manufacturing space, once you're in on the permanent side, you're in. If a manager or department is looking for someone cheaper it's a contract head that comes out of a totally different space, and the contractors are the first to get let go or hosed over by any restructure. If your job gets restructured you're likely shifting to a different permanent role because permanent headcount are very hard to get and being a permanent employee has value to whatever department picks you up.

That is a fair and valid point.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I mean, yeah, maybe you're being petty. Hard for us to tell. But that's irrelevant, really. It's not really about someone else making more than you per se--the pertinent newly discovered fact here is that your skills might actually be worth more on the market than your employer is paying you. You might as well start interviewing elsewhere and see if that's so or not, at least.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Oooof, that's a tough one.

Yes, legally she is under no obligation to disclose and they might not be allowed to hold it against her if she does (or might, as Lockback says above). The rest of this post will assume that they legally can't fire her for going out on maternity leave. If they can, IMO the answer is cut and dried, she has to disclose and let them (probably) sever.

Assuming that they can't. Practically... if they hire her for a role where the first and most important function is filling in for her boss while her boss is on maternity leave, and then immediately drops the bomb of "aaaaactually I'm going to be also out on maternity leave for pretty much exactly the same timeframe, seeya!" I mean, legally they can't retaliate but as a practical matter that will burn every bridge with that company and she'll very likely be back looking for work again soon.

This is a very personal matter. It's entirely up to her how she wants to proceed, and she owes that company (or any company) nothing. Choosing to not disclose and deal with the consequences as they come is 100% a valid option and she should not feel bad if she chooses to pursue it.

That said, if a friend or relative of mine asked me for "What do?" advice in this specific situation, my advice would have to be to go ahead and disclose, and be ready to accept the company moving on. But if you do go ahead and wait until you've started the job to disclose, just be prepared for the likely fallout from that, and be thinking ahead to how you're going to answer "Why did you leave this job so quickly?" in future interviews.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 17:24 on May 10, 2024

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

nexus6 posted:

Also, forgive me if I missed this when I read the OP, when/if asked "what was your last salary?" is there a reason I shouldn't just lie and say a figure higher than what I was actually paid? That way if we do argue down to it, it is still an amount that counts as a raise?

They might already know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

If they refuse to interview you unless you name your number first, you don't want to work there. If you want to troll them for interview practice name whatever number and have fun. Probably better to just move on though.