Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GordonComstock
Oct 9, 2012
What's the best publicly available general resource for determining market value for job and experience (I understand multiple things play into this like location, specific marketplace, specific type of job)? I've checked out glassdoor, payscale and the bureau of labor and statistics. Only BLS seems to be worth a drat, but it's only good for entry-level and mean/median wages as far as I can tell.

I work in engineering, and I know what the municipal/County side pays based on experience since it's public record. Is there a good multiplier that I could use to determine the private consulting side for the same work?

Short end is, I know my job experience/skills exceeds that for someone with my X amount years in the industry. I'm looking to leverage that in the second half of this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GordonComstock
Oct 9, 2012
I do have some numbers from former classmates, as well as some information from a former employer. Just looking to supplement that. Especially since I'm thinking about relocating to a different part of the country, whereas most of my information is central to one state.

GordonComstock
Oct 9, 2012
Subset of Civil, Water/Wastewater/Water Resources. Colorado (greater Denver area) or Texas (Dallas or Austin) for locations. The Denver area would seem to be particularly competitive in water/wastewater since at least one major company is HQ there, with big operations for a bunch of other civil firms. I can relocate to each area as I know people who will put me up while I look, and I'm trying to gauge my best way to go about it. Failing that, I want to leverage my experience at my current firm where my salary is lower than average.