Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

JohnnyPalace posted:

I'm pretty sure mine qualifies as a bad match, but it's better than nothing. My company matches 30% of my contribution, up to a 10% contribution. Meaning if I contribute 10% of my salary, they throw in an additional 3%. I am not fully vested in the employer contribution until I have seven years of service. And there is a decent amount of turnover in the first five years. So for most employees, they aren't really contributing anything for the match.

Yeah that's on the poo poo side of matches. A 'good' match would be 1:1 matching up to say 5 or 6% and a very short vesting period. My last company took two years to vest and had 1:1 matching up to 5%, my current one has no vesting period and matches up to 6%. These are rrsp matching programs in Canada but they're very similar to a 401k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Caustic posted:

Thanks to this thread, I managed to NOT reveal my salary requirements for an initial call with a recruiter. I held firm until the recruiter eventually revealed their own target salary number. I told the recruiter I wanted to learn more about the position before I talked more about salary. Since then I've been proceeding along in the interview process with the hiring manager and have inside word that I'm a top candidate and am pretty sure an offer is forthcoming.

While the salary the recruiter named for the role is good, it's only about 2% more than my current base salary and I'd really like at least 10%+ more than current.

Total compensation is a consideration, as my current company has crappy bonuses (none or 1%), and no 401(k) matching while this new potential employer has 10% bonuses, matching 401(k), and an ESPP.
The recruiter hasn't asked about total comp at my current company.

How do I best negotiate salary from here? Do I reveal that my current salary is essentially the same as the number the recruiter provided? Should I be honest that I'm looking for 15% more than current and settle for 10%?

Don't anchor yourself to your current salary. State what you think you're worth in the new role, and leave some room to get negotiated down and still end up above your reserve / walk away number.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

There's nothing at all wrong with keeping it in your pocket. If you think you are very well positioned based on your initial interview you can bring up that you have an offer for a competing position and could whoever give you a timeline. Actually showing them the offer probably doesn't help you as you've described it as a weak offer.

Unfortunately for a lot of companies they can't accelerate hiring decisions for a lot of jobs but doesn't hurt to try.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

IllegallySober posted:

Those are certainly some interesting business practices :stare:

Jesus, that's some bonkers employee relations

shame on an IGA posted:

Welcome to the rural south where all business relationships are modeled on domestic abuse dynamics

Well, if it's an area where there's low employment anyone with a job is much more likely to just suck it up but that's a stretch even for that kind of market.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Gin_Rummy posted:

Alright, the vacation non-issue has been officially resolved and I accepted their offer! Now, can anyone recommend the best time to give my current employer notice? Am I in the clear now? Should I wait for the drug test/background check to clear? I'm not expecting any issues with either, but you never know...

Wait for all background checks and other contingent items. Your offer is not firm until that stuff is all done.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Gin_Rummy posted:

I asked if I could wait for the background check to clear, but they told me that my current employer would be contacted through the background check... So how do I handle that? Never been in this situation before

Who does their background check company intend to call? Your boss or whatever random hr flunky?

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

Every body shop does this; I spent 2010-2016 consulting & receiving a salary roughly ~1/3rd the hourly rate I was billed out at. That does account for vacation time, but doesn't account for bennies.

Try not to think too much about your billed rate until you got a nice e-fund saved up and you're ready to start billing it out yourself. And pay for insurance. And do sales calls. And... maybe not collecting 100% of your billed rate is worth it to you. ;)

Having done this for a while I was pretty happy to go back to a salary, mind you I got more than the hourly rate I had been billing as salary plus bonus and options. I've described it previously but my batna was not continuing consulting, it was a job that paid even more but required a move so I was negotiating from a position of relative strength. I've since had a 6% raise and now sit on the committee designing our performance comp plan, which we are implementing in favour of a much lower although somewhat less risky bonus setup. Life is good :)

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

I would disagree - you can argue that you should capture a bigger portion of your bill rate as you become more valuable to the firm, and it can certainly be a point of negotiation. You just aren't going to be very successful if you're at one of the top firms.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

I would add that what you can get depends on the industry. For example, if contingent comp is common you can often get paid anything you're "leaving behind" if someone wants to poach you from somewhere.

E: for example, let's say half of your bonus each year vests over 3 years. Some industries do this to try to decrease churn, so if you had, say $100k that hadn't vested yet then the company you are moving to could often be expected to pay you all or most of that amount to ease the pain of leaving it behind.

Kalenn Istarion fucked around with this message at 01:25 on May 7, 2017

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Goodpancakes posted:

Just had a pretty killer interview for a new job. Wooo. I am writing a thank you email now along with references and a writing sample they requested.

Now my lease is up in 3 weeks and without a job I am moving out. Do I mention this in the follow up email? Like hey not to rush you guys or anything but I might be leaving the state without a work commitment at the end of the month.

That can give them a lot of leverage to tell them you have to leave the state. You can communicate the timeline but be careful about why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

zynga dot com posted:

Does anyone have any good resources for estimating your fully-loaded total comp? I’m considering an offer to give up a W-2 position for an hourly 1099 partnership, and I want to make sure I’m doing the math correctly.

I dont have the hard data but you should be aiming to bill at least double what you want to make per hour to account for benefits, vacation and possible downtime as a consultant.