Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
If the alternative is to walk away then you lose nothing by asking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

What is the argument for saying 150-200 instead of just saying 200?

That you were forced to choose a number and believe that 200 is ludicrous. The theory is that giving a range makes the lower number appear more reasonable so choose your point number and then make your range with that as the low point.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
I believe a lot of companies have strict rules about compensation changes for internal transfer to prevent poaching people by offering more.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
Aren't they only required to give salary and not total compensation? This doesn't seem that helpful as I doubt the recruiter is asking the salary you want, but rather total comp. If you don't know what to expect I'd highly suggest trying to hold out as FAANGesque companies tend to suprise people with how high an offer can be.

asur fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jun 25, 2019

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Chaotic Flame posted:

So, I've been moving through a hiring process with a tech company in the Bay (I'm in Chicago) and I put the initial salary discussion on hold in typical fashion (need to know full scope of role, benefits package, etc.). Now that they want to fly me out for a final in-person interview with the team, the recruiter wants to have a quick chat around comp again to feel me out. I've never done a separate follow up call just on comp before an offer so not sure how to play this exactly. Their benefits are actually publicly available and the recruiter gave me the link after our initial call so I have that info but still don't want to throw out a number first since Bay area and I don't want to lowball myself. Any suggestions for this scenario?

You can ask for the salary range of the position and they are required to give it in California. They don't need to include equity which is a pretty signficant part of your total compensation though. Not a Children gave the following in YOSPOS, "I'd like to evaluate the offer as a whole, including salary, benefits, and leave time. Please send me all available information and we can discuss after I've had a chance to review all aspects of compensation." or "I don't have a number in mind, but will consider any reasonable offer. I'm sure we can come to a mutually satisfying agreement.". I'd highly advocate continued deflection, but if you don't think you'll be able to do that then researching total compensation on levels.fyi and paysa and having a number in mind prior to the conversation is better than randomly throwing something out.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
If you can't ask for salary then ask for equity.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
Since you don't actually know what you're worth you should try to avoid giving a number and just wait for their offer. I think Not a Children had a couple posts about how to respond if they press you, but you can basically give some variant of market rate, compensated fairly, etc.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Dik Hz posted:

Just a dumb question here, but how do you cash out your equity? Unless there's a public offering, couldn't the company just never cash you out?

You don't. Finding a private buyer is difficult and if the company doesn't want you to sell they can leverage a lot of tools to prevent you from doing so. It pretty much leaves secondary sales supported by the company, that if they occur happen with a late stage fundraising round, and IPO as the only options to cash out.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
You don't explicitly say it, but it sounds like the other six examples eventually got a promotion. I'd try to find out that timeframe if you plan to stay or just leverage the title change into a new job.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Fireside Nut posted:

Thank you! So you’d recommend actually giving away my current salary as part of the anchor? After reading this thread for the last year or two I have hard coded the idea of never giving away your current compensation, but I could see how the asymmetry in knowledge could help in this specific case.

And, yes, I plan to frame it as I’m excited about the company, team, opportunities to expand my skillset, etc. and not about what’s going on at my current place. Great reminder though!

Do not give your current salary. I would recommend saying nothing and if you do say a number you'd be happy with something like total comp + 20% as given above.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
If Company 2's offer isn't good enough for you to switch then you lose nothing telling them that. It also buys you time and doesn't close off negotiations if Company 1 comes back with a better offer because saying you have a better offer from another company is always a legitimate reason to re-negotiate.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
If the company agreed to a number they almost certainly would have agreed to that number if they had started lower and you had countered to it. The obvious downside of your approach is that you entirely cut out the possibility that the company starts at a higher number.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

leper khan posted:

So the HR person let out that I was the best candidate and she would be surprised if I didn't get an offer. Based on her tone, either she's really good at using that as a negotiation tactic, or she's earnestly trying to get ahead of paperwork.

Regardless, I have an opportunity to give a number or be a curmudgeon and not give one. The highest base I see from H1B data is 170, with a couple more around 160. I know the results from my interviews were very positive, but I'm not sure whether they're leveling me at IC3 or IC4.

Thinking of throwing out 190. Thoughts?

This is where the thread regulars tell me not to name a number probably.

Do not throw out a number without knowing the equity and bonus structure or they'll interpret your number such that it benefits them.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
I would assume your best friend is telling the truth, otherwise you need a new best friend. Based on what he said you should give a number that would make you happy and add 10-20% to it.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

air- posted:

Wasn't sure where else to put this - anyone negotiate their rent? Would love some tips/stories on how you did it.

Got my renewal offer and they had the nerve to raise the rent, uhhh lmfao no there's a TON of places offering 8 weeks free right now :chloe:

I responded that the identical apartment right below mine is showing the same rate as what I'm paying now, so after applying the 8 weeks special, it's not reasonable to have a higher effective rent on the renewal offer

An identical unit in the same complex, though different building, was several hundred cheaper and the corporate management said to move or the pay the increase. I signed for the new place and had to move across the complex.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
Just do the exit interview and give meaningless generic answers to the questions. Anyone who matters should already know why you're leaving or it's not going to get fixed anyway. If they're going to lie about it then they'll probably do it even if you decline the interview.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Quackles posted:

What about tech?

The same is generally true unless you're a founder/owner or you're getting paid after you've left and it's active.

The problem with non-competes tends to be the threat they represent and not if they're actually enforceable. Your new company is probably not willing to go to bat for you if the old company tries to enforce it.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

thotsky posted:

So, I'm guessing "never say a number" also applies to counter-offers right? Here, it seems like it's sort of normal for people to ask their current employer to match a new offer, rather than exceed it, sometimes showing the offer to their boss. I've heard it justified as being good for both sides in that you get an immediate raise and you don't have to go through the stress of starting in a new job, which I can kind of see if you enjoy your current job, but it does seem like it might be squandering your leverage somewhat.

Are counter-counter-offers considered bad form by employers or are they a normal part of the process?

You can ask for more than the offer, but you need to be more careful as you have one, or more indications, of the market. You do need to give a number though, you can't ask for more without asking for how much you want.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
Unless you got a bad rating or the challenge goes to the new manager, challenging the review is going to be a waste of time. Even if you get the bad stuff removed you're still going to get an average rating because reviews are subjective and both your manager and HR don't want to give you an above average rating.

If you want to stay, you should talk to your new manager about your trajectory and performance ignoring the outcome of this review. State what you want and then see if they think that is achievable and how to achieve it. If the outcome of this conversation isn't satisfactory the you should leave.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
15% isn't that substantial when 10% is a pretty common number to get someone that likes their job to even consider moving. If you like your job and have other options I'd shoot for higher.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Target Practice posted:

I haven't really thought about it, but is this something that you can just straight up ask your manager/HR dept? Not that I would ever want to bring that question up to our lovely HR people.

Assuming that you have a decent relationship with your manager you can just ask them if that's something they can tell you. If you need to say that someone, friend, colleague, whatever, mentioned this and you're curious.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

cerious posted:

So I've been putting in some time into scoping out the other organization and talking to people and it looks like I have a lot less leverage than I was thinking originally... the other poster was right about internal moves having close to 0 leverage. It's a little disappointing but I'm not too surprised.

First off the bonus structure is worse in the other group. I can exclude comp time since it's true that I do have to work extra to earn those. But the factory bonus I get now is up to 4% that the other organization doesn't seem like it can match or get close to matching (maybe at best 1%)

Basically the reason my requisition opened up early was because of some drama related to the prior candidate rejecting the offer. The reason there was drama was because that other candidate tried to negotiate and play two sides. Apparently he had gotten the offer, asked for a grade bump and was offered the alternative of an out of cycle review due to him having prior experience (he had originally been in that group, and it was the same job he had before). He took that back and told his original manager. That manager then accused the other group of poaching and it was becoming "unethical" to continue on for both sides since it seemed he was pitting the two against each other. So at the end of it the other person declined the offer, because additionally there were some other people in the group he didn't want to get along with.

The same person who gave me that scoop told me it would be unwise to negotiate, as in there would be basically 0% chance it would work. It seems credible, since after talking to another coworker as well it seems most moves are purely lateral and any kind of raises are exceptional. On top of that, he implied it would actually sour things between me and that future manager. So, if someone who has even more relevant experience than I do can't even get an extra dime out of them, it seems I stand less of a chance.

The hiring manager is also trying to avoid giving me actual numbers. When I asked, he reiterated it would be lateral on all levels (except for org-specific bonuses) and tried to upsell the higher growth potential in that org (which is true, they do have a wider pay band for each grade level and it's easier to move up there). Any kind of offer letter is contingent on me giving a verbal acceptance to his verbal offer in other words, since the offer letter requires a transfer date and at that point they would need to know I'm in and the two managers have agreed to a date.

I am a little lost at what to do at this point. I've tried to be careful asking about negotiation, especially to the person who gave me the scoop, who I think is very close to the hiring manager - I brought it up as an etiquette discussion since I'm still new-ish. I am thinking of playing innocent with the hiring manager and asking if this lateral move is truly lateral, considering that it seems I would be taking a pay cut due to the bonus structure difference. It sounds like the second I bring up the word negotiation, things might get dicey, so maybe having him explain to me if this is a pay cut would be a better play? If they truly cannot do anything for me and I get them to admit it's a pay cut, I don't think anybody can fault me for saying no at that point. It seems a small amount but it's the principle to me.

I also haven't considered mentioning anything to my current manager right now. Is there any reason to mention that I have an offer? Seems like it could only do more harm than good.

If you aren't willing to take the position with a pay cut, I think it's completely fair to tell the manager that and see if they can do something about it. I wouldn't say this is negotiating so much as stating your position. Given what you've been told I don't know if I would do this if you are willing to take it with the pay cut because then it is a negotiation.

I probably would not tell your manager anything and definitely would not try to use this as leverage.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

jimmychoo posted:

ugh... they also gave me a really generous relocation offer which i appreciate. does that change things or no? lol.

“please do not think i am weak for not negotiating with you, i know my power but i am simply tired.”

Relo should be standard. The easiest thing here would be to pick one thing from your offer that your meh on and negotiate that. If you can't find anything then ask for a 5-10% bump. If you're struggling to ask, you can do it in a super simple email that basically thanks them for the offer, states how excited you are and then says you'll accept if X is increased or changed.

asur fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Apr 18, 2021

asur
Dec 28, 2012
A W2 contractor will not be paying the employer side of FICA. It's probably state dependent, but I wouldn't necessarily expect a W2 contractor to not get unemployment when their contract ends. The 2x advice is for a 1099 and even that is dependent on what your salary would be since not all costs scale.

Can you not negotiate the hire part now as well? You're basically doing so anyway since the company knows the cost of contractor versus employee.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
How the gently caress is not reimbursing taxes suppose to work? No one is going to pay 5-10% of the cost of business travel and this is on top of being skinflint and not reimbursing tips.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

BonHair posted:

Does nonprofit actually mean any profit is moved offshore? I don't think we have nonprofits as a distinct category in Denmark except NGOs I guess.

Based on the top article on Google, it sounds like any profit is shuffled through various methods, store ownership, trademarks, etc to the founding family.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

dhamster posted:

So I have an offer on the table, it's less than i am used to making but it's a new role for me, ostensibly better work life balance, and it's in the same city as my wife's new job, which is a big step forward for her career/earning potential. Plus there seems to be a lot of room for advancement and salary increases in the long term. So I'm pretty happy with the offer, it solves a lot of issues/uncertainties for me.

Part of me wants to ask for more salary, because this is the time when I have more leverage to ask for these things, but I'm not really sure what my angle is. It seems like what they're offering me is a competitive base pay for the position, even though it's less than what I'm making now. I'm able to look up the salaries of my colleagues because it's a public university, and they're higher than what I'm being offered, but they all have several years experience in the position. What I'm mostly interested in is relocation money, since I have an expensive and complicated move coming up. Should I just ask for that?

You can ask for both in stages if you want, but if relo is valuable to you then you should ask for it.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

dhamster posted:

I sent a counter offer on monday and heard back from my point of contact right away who said he would see what he could do, but that's the last I've heard. Should I just sit tight? My offer letter gave me nearly a month to decide, so it doesn't seem like I'm on the clock or anything

There's nothing wrong with sending an email after a week asking for an update.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

How does a person who is an employee of Company A already moving to Colorado at all impact their obligations under Colorado law to disclose salary?

The person has the job already.

Based on the wording in the article the company is obligated to post the range because they have an employee in the state. The obvious solution is to tell employees they can't work remote from Colorado as there's no requirement to allow employees to work from any state.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
Did they say they don't do signon bonuses generically or when you specifically asked because you're foregoing six months worth of a bonus? If it's the former then you can respond that you like the offer but you're giving up $X and if they make that up somehow you'll accept.

A second option if you don't want to do that or they said the latter is to ask that your bonus at the new company not be prorated and apply for the whole year though this does require they keep a similar year and even if they agree you could get screwed by your manager just giving you a lower bonus.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
What is the rationale for looking for a job, in a field where equity compensation is the norm, at a non-public company if you're going to value non-liquid equity at zero? The company certainly doesn't value it at zero and will include the expected value in the total compensation they're targeting. It would seem that by doing this you'rr setting yourself up to be under compensated and would be better served by targeting companies that have liquid equity.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
I don't know for any reasons to not tell a company you have a competing offer to get them to hurry up and there are signficant benefits the least of which is them hurrying it up.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
You should be bringing this up to your boss well before review time as well so that if they want to try and get you a raise they have time to do so.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
That just sounds like they're making tech leads manage people on top of their other responsibilities which I've never seen work out well. If you want to get into management and don't have other options then it is at least giving you experience.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
I think the advice of not accepting a counter offer is overstated in some aspects. You do need to be willing to leave though. Go into the conversation with that mindset and evaluate if your management chain, particularly your direct manager, is unhappy about the situation because that's who matters for your work environment and future reviews. HR isn't going to fire or lay you off because you got a counter offer if your performance reviews are good. Also if you're going to accept a counter offer, make sure you have other options and didn't just get yourself blacklisted from the only other option.

The biggest issue with accepting a counter offer is that people tend to not start job searching over money alone and none of the other issues are going to get fixed. There's also a secondary aspect that companies that underpay will continue to do so and your compensation is going to fall behind again.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

spwrozek posted:

This is a good way to deal with Linkedin recruiters right? This is kind of my number to be willing to move jobs.

Hey I have some pretty firm expectations:

$250K base plus bonus

35 vacation days

Mostly remote - max 25% time in an office

4 mile office radius from "Place in town"

401k provider with low ERs, min 5% match

40 hour work week

Minimal travel - less than 10%

Let me know if it is worth continuing the conversation.

I would clarify what 35 days of vacation means since if that is on top of holidays I'd be surprised if any company in the US meet this criteria.

In general stating this will cause you to lose out on opportunities where this is the top end of the range, but you'll save a bunch of time.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

priznat posted:

Got a response from the recruiter and she said:

Thoughts on proceeding? Say “thanks for the interest, if you do have an offer to present I would be very interested but I need a starting number from you to base my expectations on”?

You can respond to this with something vague about competitive compensation and needing to know the entire compensation package. It's probably recommended to do so unless you know where in that 200k - 300k range the company is and what you would be happy with.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

FCKGW posted:

This is an hourly position but yeah, I’m gonna talk to them on Tuesday. They’re offering $34 but I would like $36-$38.

Do I just talk to the HR person who contacted me or do I need to talk to one of the managers? I haven’t interviewed for a job in 20 years so this is all new to me.

Respond to whoever gave you the offer. Ask for $38 minimum if you want $36, $40 would probably be better.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Vegetable posted:

I just got a FAANG offer. The recruiter told me the offer over the phone and said "I'll send you some material, take a look at it!" No deadline was set.

What's the etiquette in this sort of situation? I'm hoping to drag it out a bit so my other offers have time to come in. Am thinking I'll reply them only end of next Monday with some clarification questions, ask to schedule time with a team member to ask more questions about job scope (which they offered), etc.

Monday evening is a bit slow, but fine. I would expect that you'll be able to easily drag it out a week and without a lot of back and forth be pushing it for much longer than two weeks. The best thing to do is to tell those other companies that you have an offer and they need to hurry up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asur
Dec 28, 2012

spwrozek posted:

You ever hire someone in this situation? HR loves to question you for offering over the applicants requested number.

Can you not strike a middle ground of offering the candidate C - some value that is above their range? HR saves money, you get an employee that is happy.

I think you should definitely start with C. It's not your money so why don't you care if the company saves the 10% and perversely having staff that gets paid more can look good.