Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Have any of you had to sell a property you currently live in prior to relocating for a new job? Would employers make accommodations if I need time to sell before moving? Or is it advisable to move to the job first, pay rent there using my initial pay (since I have zero savings), and hire a realtor to do the whole selling process while I'm completely absent?

Ime that should be part of the sign on bonus negotiation, not on needing to wait before moving but on facilitating the sale remotely.

E: I haven't done it but I have a number of coworkers who have

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Thanks, also what does this part mean? The company hires me a realtor? Or they just pay me a bigger bonus to hire my own?

More difficult scenario: What if taking the job is contingent on me being able to sell the house? If there are no buyers, I'm stuck staying in the same city after all. That's I assume when it gets really complicated. Anyone heard of that predicament?

I wouldn't even be able to fully move my stuff *out* of the house to the new job until the sale, because I can't commit to packing up everything to a new city until the house is sold. Being away from a house full of my stuff while a realtor tries to work around it to sell is awkward, at the very least. Is it common?

How they handle it will be company specific, I asked people who have gone thru it and they normally found their own.

For your other questions it's really hard to say. If it's possible to work from where you are now until you sell your place that would be doable. I've never heard of a company accepting a contingency on someone accepting a job. Another option is accepting but pulling out if you can't find a buyer in time, burns bridges tho.

The best way to approach it is to ask the company what assistance they'll give you for relocation and assess whether the opportunity is worth the financial risk.

That's a lovely situation tho, sorry you're in it!

Tldr: see what the company will help with and assess whether it's worth the risk. The worst they can say is they won't give you anything, but they presumably want you to work for them.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

I'm in the interview process for a role that's adjacent to my profession and I'm wondering whether I should consider a drop in compensation in the absence of an expectation to study for a credential with my free time?

Might be part of that conversation when we get to that page at least, there are other things I'll need to ask about in the next round of interviews (ie if I decide I want to continue studying will I be allowed into the student program) but if anyone has anything to point out I'm all ears.

I was talking to the hiring manager and he got the first of two credentials in my field before switching to his current role so he'll have a solid understanding of What I'm balancing

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

Dik Hz posted:

The drop in compensation will haunt you for the rest of your employment at that place. Don't do it. People who make less are perceived as being less valuable, and that bias persists.

Thinking about it not, I don't think I would move for less compensation (including my bonus) so what I need to figure out now is how much more I need to leave the good deal I know I got goin for an unknown