Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?
i'm very happy to say that i have a reason to post in this thread instead of lurking.

i got an offer letter! the offer letter is signed by the director of the program, and says to contact them if i have any questions about the letter or job, but was sent to me by an administrator. do i negotiate with the person who signed the letter or with the administrator who sent the letter?

edit: ah, nevermind. i got over my anxiety about asking questions and directly asked this person if i should direct questions about the letter and the position to the administrator or to the program director.

i've never negotiated salary before so this is very much uncharted territory for me.

durrneez fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Nov 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?
thanks for the advice in phrasing! much appreciated. so many negotiating advice sites that i've seen either don't provide explicit phrasing or give examples with very passive rhetoric.

my BATNA and my WATNA are the same--remaining unemployed. we're very lucky that we can afford to ride out the recession as a single income household. the position is pandemic-related and funded by CARES act money so it could vanish at any time. during the interview, the program director anticipated the position existing until spring. the offer letter says the position will exist for about 2-5 months. i'm definitely looking for something more long term and i view this as something to occupy my days while i apply to more jobs. so if i negotiations fall apart, it's not very dire, but i'd like to practice negotiating.

the timeline is incredibly accelerated. they're looking to quickly fill many positions. i applied about two weeks ago, interviewed at the end of last week, and received an offer letter over the weekend.

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

nice! congratulations!!

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

Wiggy Marie posted:

About to counter for the first time ever on a job offer D: any advice for wording?

hope i'm not too late!

here's what i most recently submitted:

quote:

I'd like to discuss the base salary before signing the offer. The position requires x years of experience, which I exceed with my y years of relevant experience and z years of other relevant experience. My experience is directly applicable to the role and will allow me to hit the ground running immediately. Also, my <other experience/skill that I didn't mention in the interview> will help me and my team successfully navigate <this specific problem associated with the role/industry/company>. The average annual salary for this position is around $xxk according to <these specific websites; i used Indeed, PayScale, and I think LinkedIn or Glassdoor. whatever sites gave me the best numbers are what I used>. I respectfully ask you to consider your initial offer of <whatever paltry number initially given>. I believe my counteroffer of an annual salary of $morebux more accurately reflects my qualifications and the demands associated with <this specific thing about the role that makes me want to ask more money, in my case, it was supervising 30 people>.

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

thanks!

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

Dik Hz posted:

Well, my thought process is that saying a gently caress-off number first is part of how the game is played. Both sides know this. If the other side punishes you for playing the game, they're assholes who you probably don't want to work for. I've banged this gong for years in this thread. But, if someone punishes you for trying to negotiate, they're a poo poo employer and will be even worse when you actually work for them.

can you give some examples of what punishment for negotiating can look like? i'm pretty new to negotiating salary and want to know what to look out for.

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

rooting for you, jimmychoo!

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

HELLO I AM VERY EXCITED THAT I AM FINALLY ABLE TO MAKE THIS POST:

I did it! Not only did I get an offer, I negotiated and got an extra $10k for base salary!

Pillowpants posted:

I got the (Verbal) offer and its everything I wanted.

oh gently caress yeah, the day has come! :dance: happy for you, my fellow poster!

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

Elysium posted:

Looks like I have what Im assuming are offer calls on Monday. How do these calls go and what do I say?

Here is what the recruiter for Job A said: “I believe the team is looking to make you an offer, just trying to get the salary info and I’ll give you a call.” And the HR person for Job B asked me for references after the second round of interviews (a perfunctory request as they know the references already) and said “meanwhile, can we schedule a time for a call on Monday?”

At my previous and only real job, which I held for 8 years, they emailed me an offer and I said hooray someone wants to give me a job, and accepted it on the spot.

Usually they’ll go something like, “hey Elysium, we’d like to offer you the position!” and then you say, “great, thanks, I look forward to seeing the offer letter and benefits package. when can you email me those documents?”

and then you read the documents and you ask for more money, even if what they offered is already at or above what you want.

also, congrats!! hope the process goes well!

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

holy loving poo poo i am so thankful for this thread. i did not name a number when asked about my salary expectations and am so glad that i did not because the positions STARTS at $10k more than what I was hoping for :eyepop:

after talking to some friends in the industry, turns out the number that the company named is pretty low. i'm interviewing for a mid-level software engineering position and i'm a really strong candidate. the company is severely lacking in areas that i'm really strong in and i interviewed really well. i'm not sure what to ask for right now. i think when i get the offer in a few days, i'll have a better idea of where to go next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

hey thread, thanks for helping me change my friend’s life. she got an offer letter, had never negotiated before, and was really reluctant to negotiate. i sent her some pointers from the OP and she netted an extra 10%. WADDUPPPPPPPPPP