Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

I put some stuff in the corporate thread about this pertaining to the actual process, but I don't want to poo poo up the non-negotiation thread with negotiation stuff. I'm not really asking any questions here, just opening myself up to critique and gunfire to make sure I'm taking the right approach. Or maybe I will ask questions. I don't know. I'm flying blind into this post.

Full story here. Short story: I emailed a company I had a previous relationship with (didn't work for them, I worked tech support in a consultancy that had them as a client) asking about opportunities in the space. In the 3 months since then we've discussed what the role could be and in a 45 minute call (not an interview, just a chat about what we both want) they asked what my salary expectations are.

I'm completely fine with sharing numbers. I'm in Canada so all values are CAD.

In the consultancy I started at $55k (in 2021 this seemed pretty good - and it was my first tech job). By the time I left I was at $62k. Current job hired me at $68k and union-mandated raises put me at just north of $73k (as of next week - $71 right now).

When I had the chat with the IT director at the new prospect, I was not expecting any questions about salary and was completely unprepared for it - I wasn't even really sure we were talking about a job! I really thought he might just hook me up with somewhere else. So I said $76k - $83k. The director quite candidly told me that this was a lot lower than he was expecting to hear, gave me a short spiel about how the company pays people what they're worth etc etc. Some people in the corporate thread pointed out I can and probably should ask for more when it comes to the formal interview.

SO what do we think? In a quick informal chat I seriously lowballed myself, and got gently chastised in corporate speak to the effect of "that's a bit low". Should a formal interview + ask come along, am I good to adjust that ask to something more reasonable? Probably like $85 - $90? I pretty much have the upper hand already because the work I did for them before was stellar (:c00lbert:) and they've been left high and dry by my absence.

If I CAN ask for more - how do you approach that? I said in the previous chat I'm okay with peanuts, and all of a sudden I'm asking for walnuts? Wtf I'm allergic to both of those anyway!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Lockback posted:

What is the job? At this point I'd let them name a number and just try to kick the can down the road. You clearly are at the disadvantage in market knowledge here so its best to let them name the number first.

Extremely at a disadvantage.

I don't know what title they're going for, but it's basically sysadmin-ish concerning a PHP/MySQL CRM, maintaining the LAMP stack that keeps it running, providing user-level support inhouse, probably doing some DBA-style stuff to get around the CRM's limitations. Maybe looking at other areas of the business. They also told me they might potentially maybe someday look at getting rid of the existing CRM and migrating elsewhere (which I can assist with because I know the existing CRM's database like the back of my hand)

So I'm imagining the conversation being them asking me what I want - can you really just...throw it back? That's an okay thing to do?

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

Yeah that does sound right - with any luck I'll have the balls to ask for something like that.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

So if we're waiting for them to make an offer - the thing is I lowballed myself in that informal chat. Wouldn't it make sense for them to make an offer in that lowball range? Sure he gave me the buddy buddy we pay what you're worth thing, but numbers are numbers, right?