Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I don't know what "extra for shift differential" means, how much money is that exactly? I don't know how to quantify the value of actually getting OT vs not getting OT, but it's not worth much unless you actually work a ton of OT right?

OT is tricky, it seems like even if you get a ton of pay from that there is absolutely no guarantee you'll get it next month so I wouldn't put much value in that at all, personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Companies need to pay appropriately for the cost of living where they are located, this is why even entry level work in San Francisco is often over $100K. While you're correct that it's not strictly their problem it's totally reasonable to ask for a 30% raise if that's how much more it costs to live there.

Note that many companies (especially old fashioned companies) don't do this and just have some arbitrary definition of what seems "fair" or not, and will simply refuse to pay a secretary $100K regardless of location. You don't want to work for those people.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

Recruiters are 100% loving worthless and will say anything and everything required to get the peg in the hole regardless of fit because that's how they get paid. Ignore anything they say.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

25k is fine to ask for, but you'll notice there's definitely a line in the sand between companies who are actually willing to pay for talent and those who aren't. Amazon regularly pays 25-100k in signing bonuses spread out over a few years for one data point.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

I just meant hey here's some numbers from an actual company that is on the high range of offering signing bonuses to mid level employees, that's your data point.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

I also think it depends on where you are in the company, you should never accept the promotion to associate manager from sales rep or whatever, but if they're talking about giving you a team and making you a director or whatever that's a different situation. Basically if you're a low level grunt be willing to jump ship even multiple times per month if you have to.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

If anyone asked to see a paystub from the old place to start a new job I would be unable to contain my laughter, what a stupid loving request. Would you also like the pap smear results from my ex? gently caress off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

Oh please stop pretending like you all didn't immediately just splay your SO out on the kitchen counter right after closing for the first time. You nasty, sick fucks.