Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

i briefly worked for a contractor company and one of the HR employees accidentally let slip that while i was making something like $20/hr, client was paying $40/hr. (not in the US)
it's pretty insane. makes me wonder why clients wouldn't just poach good contractors. happier employee, happier company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Muir posted:

Companies who are hiring contractors know that they're paying more per hour than a full time employee would cost. They do it because they don't need somebody permanently, don't need somebody full-time, need expertise that they don't already have in-house, need somebody faster than they could do a full job search, or any number of other reasons.

i get most of those, but at least for this (very large) contracting org the "they don't need somebody permanently" and "don't need somebody full-time" arguments don't apply, since they pretty much only do full-time long-term contracts. like, whoever wasn't a new hire had been assigned to the same companies for several years. it has to be some tax thing, because within those timeframes they could surely do normal recruiting?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Sundae posted:

I have no idea what's too long (it took my last employer 3 months from "here comes an offer" to "actual offer received via encrypted system")

i do: i got an offer 1.5yr after a [single] interview with this one company
i had to go a search in my email to see if it was just some weaksauce spam.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

recruiter: are you in talks with any other companies?
you: yes. [i applied to like 200 but haven't heard back from any of them yet]

you do not owe anyone more information than exactly they need

marumaru
May 20, 2013

based on the % of startups that ever actually amount to anything nah i do consider equity basically worthless.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

i personally have found that working in small companies is usually a bad move period.
being a bigger % of the workforce means that you have a much bigger impact on the company's output, which means that any variation on your personal output will raise a lot of questions and drive higher ups into a panic much more easily.
working for larger companies where you're just a small cog means you can usually take it easy and have slower days without panicking about whether you're going to get fired immediately or not. are just salt in the wound.
but i digress, that's not very comp related now.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

when i think "good startups" i think of something like this:

:v:

Democratic Pirate posted:

In the finance/accounting world, my business school peers who went to work at startups or small businesses used it for rapid title acquisition. Now they have SVP or CFO titles on the resume and are moving into larger companies.

do titles really still matter? at least in my field it's never stopped me from making more money (which again is the only thing i actually care about!). i have a lot of friends who have indeed grinded hard on their titles but it doesn't seem to make any real big difference?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

(I asked for 100k, got offered 99,900 - COME ON)

"i won! i won!", the hollow husk of an HR employee says to himself in his bath, crying

marumaru
May 20, 2013

leper khan posted:

OP should just look for a new role. I'd be surprised if they couldnt find 20-30% more if their current place is quibbling over $100.

quote:

I'm very happy at my job and with my team and with my work,

meh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marumaru
May 20, 2013

don't be subby in negotiations, ever. pretend to have confidence even if you lack it
speaking from experience; i am naturally meek and stuff but you're just asking to be stepped on if you do that when negotiating anything