Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Take the transfer get the skills and job hunt in one to two years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
I'm looking for new work either full remote or in the bay area, and am currently employed full time. A lot of the applicable job postings I see are for contract positions, some on w2 some not.

Due to my partner I have the ability to work contract as I can get health insurance through them, but obviously would rather have a full time gig rather than contract. I also don't have to get a job for up to 6 months as we don't need to move to the bay till then.

How do I evaluate pay rates for contract positions, and is there a difference between on w2 or not? I've heard it needs to be at least double what you would expect as a salaried employee, is that still the case?

If it matters this is for a somewhat specialized computer toucher role in pharmaceuticals.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
LIMS (laboratory information management services) admin / business analyst. Also known as LIS in some places, laboratory information services

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
OK thread, i got to tell a recruiter no when he asked what my salary requirements were. The position is listed with an hourly rate already which he wants to use. However the job he wants to apply me for is a contract position and apparently he "can not submit the application without the requested hourly rate".

Given I'd be going from a full time position to a contract position I did the math on what my target salary should be to include now paying for Healthcare, lost 401k matching and vacation / sick days and it comes up 15k short.

Do I respond with an hourly rate that makes up the 15k currently, or put a f u hour salary requirement that gets me out to 35k past where they are now since he's trying to force me to give a number? Or do I still refuse to give a number?

Banta is I have a stable job right now, and I only need a new one because my partners job is moving us to the bay area no later than January. But that still gives 6 months to keep looking, and this is a contract positon not in the bay area so will want to pay less in wages.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees

Eric the Mauve posted:

If you're moving to the Bay Area for the first time you really should talk to someone who has lived both there and elsewhere (Sundae? Motronic?) and can advise you on the Normalbacks-to-Baybucks exchange rate. It's pretty insane and without solid knowledge in this area you stand to accidentally hose yourself while thinking, mistakenly, that you're getting a huge raise.

I appreciate this. I'm in San Diego now making 90k gross plus 401k and annual rsu grants. My partner will be making 165k plus bonuses in San Jose. My minimum will be 120k full time at a company with it scaling up for contract. I'm looking for lims admin jobs in the pharma /biotech sphere and think that's reasonable. If anyone who is familiar with the bay area and biotech has feedback on these numbers for what I should be targeting I'd appreciate it.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees

Sundae posted:

Even if you somehow only get your exact $90K current, $255K + bonuses/401k/RSU is perfectly livable in the Bay Area. That being said, if you have experience and are working in LIMS, you're probably looking at $105K, probably higher, with bonus+401(k). I don't know about $120K, but mostly because I don't know many people in that side of the field.

I've got 8 years exp in gmp qc labs and 1.5 years experience in lims, but I've also been working on the full system top to bottom at my current gig and I'm a "certified labware admin" by the vendor for whatever that's worth.

I've got time so hopefully I can get some interviews and feel out what the potential market rates are.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Appreciate the recruiter chat! I went ahead and just applied directly, now I gotta figure out how to blow him off. He didn't respond on the pay scale question though, and had fluff to say when I asked him if he had the contract to fill the position.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Ahhhhhhhhh. First job negotiation incoming in a very long time. Got a request for a call to discuss an offer in 5 hours. I'm interviewing with 3 companies for a specialized IT job in the pharma space (lims) and what is likely my best option in terms of resume growth is the one asking for the call.

Company 1 (offer company) is a consulting company all remote with up to 50% travel though likely less than that in practice. I will learn a LOT in this position on the software I currently have experience with, with the possibility of crossover training in other software (which would be good). Downside is they might lowball me at 100k/110k.

Company 2 is a therapeutics company in the bay that I did a panel interview for on last Wednesday based in the bay area (where we need to move to due to my partner's job within 6 months). Decent resume, would learn new software but not as much of a market leader. I haven't heard back from them since the interviews but it's only been two days. I'd expect an offer in the 115k to 130k range, but that's unclear. Location is south sf.

Company 3 is a biotech startup in the bay (series c funding, lots of money) that I have a panel interview for on Thursday that I would expect to also be in the 115k to 130k range if they like me in the panel but again money hasn't been directly addressed. Good resume, not working with market leader software or even number 2 though.

Downsides to 2 and 3 would be worse commute on a weekly basis (partial remote) somewhat worse resume growth. Upside would be not a consulting companies travel requirements, possibly better work culture. Though company 1 seemed fine when I interviewed with people.

I think my ideal is company 1, with an offer of at least 115k. If they offer that to me today, is it reasonable to ask to get back to them with an answer by next monday to give the other 2 companies time to also get in an offer? Should I let company 3 know and ask if they can move up the panel interview? Any suggestions on phrases or ways to stand firm during the offer call this afternoon?

Spikes32 fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jul 19, 2021

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees

Not a Children posted:

What's your experience level, and what is standard market rate for someone in your field with that level of experience? If you're in the bay area all of those salaries sound low for a high performer, unless maybe you're just breaking into the field out of school. Don't settle for what they might offer you - you should be laser focused on what you could be making.

If you have time to spare, they should be operating on your own personal timetable. If you get an offer by phone, the easiest way to handle it is to thank them for extending the offer and telling (not asking) them that you'll need a week or so to review the totality of the written offer including all benefits while you consider your other pending offers. If they try to pressure you into an immediate response and you think you might budge, here's your canned answer: "Thank you for reaching out and extending this opportunity. The role seems like a great fit and I am confident I will be able to excel in this position. I will evaluate the offer based on the totality of compensation including benefits. Please email me the written offer and all related materials. I appreciate your patience while I review this offer." Your goal is to remove yourself from any social pressure in this decision and it is really, really hard to do that on the phone your first few times doing this. Your best move is to wait until you're operating in written communication and send your counter - you're looking for $x + y in accordance with market rates (this total should be what you want, not what you'd be happy to accept).

Don't ask the other companies to move stuff up unless you really want to accelerate this process. You're in a great position, no need to overplay your hand and rush things for the sake of making it easier for your adverse parties.

Here's a grand secret - you can accept an offer and change your mind if something better comes in later.

I'm ten years into pharma gmp experience but only 1.5 into this specific lims experience so it's a bit wonky. I'm technically making 77k in San Diego, but after taking on call pay plus bonuses /stock options etc my total pay is about 100k.

To be honest I'm not totally sure what my position would be offering in the bay area, not as high as a pure tech position for equivalent experience I know that. This company isn't bay area based since they're full remote, so I doubt the pay would be as high. I think it would be worth it though for the experience, if it's at least somewhat close. We would be living in San Jose, so not quite as expensive as the peninsula or Sf itself.

Thank you for the template of how to approach the call this afternoon though, that was really helpful.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Appreciate the responses, offer came in at 108, up to 112k to try and get me to say yes today, I told them I'd have a response by the end of the week. Company 2 moved up their interview to tomorrow, and I'm calling company 3 after work to let them know I'll need an offer soon. Let's see how high this can go!

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Thanks. Had panel interview with second company and recruiter did a pre offer of 140k, but there was still steps to go before she could call and give me a real verbal offer. That place would probably end up being a once or twice a week commute into south sf, while first company would be a week of travel about once a month on average. Struggling to figure out which is better for overall career now. I'm gonna try and get 1st company to 120 or 125k and see if that makes it any clearer.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
I have not done significant travel, so that is a worry of mine and I appreciate you two mentioning it. From my talks with the team it seems like 50% has been the max, and it is backed up by glass door (for what that is worth). Covid has shuttered all travel atm, and no one i talked to expected the travel to return to pre covid levels, but who the gently caress really knows.

With the second offer on the table my partner is less happy with the travel aspect given we're looking to adopt from the foster system in 2 to 3 years, but that would be 2 to 3 years from now so not a major current problem.

If I go with second option (140k), when the internal recruiter pitched it her explanation (bullshit) was that 140k was in the at the top middle of the pay band for the role (130 to 145) and she wanted to make sure there was room for raises without requiring a promotion this December (more bullshit). When I negotiate do I just ignore that and say this is what ill sign on for? What should my response be when she tries to use that as a stupid excuse since pay bands are dumb hr poo poo and exceptions can always be made.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
I got the email offer with all the details, and responded to ask for more money and more stock. it's terrifying waiting to get a response from them.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees

Eric the Mauve posted:

I don't know anything about your specific industry, but there are two things I do know: expect to work deathmarch hours at a startup, and when you get an offer it's important to know that the actual value of any and all equity offered is $0. Know what you're walking into and get paid in cash salary. Not bonuses, definitely not equity. Cash or GTFO.

Yup I know that. Cash salary is great for what I was expecting, shares would totally be an unexpected lottery.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Well I got a no on the negotiation. The comp was already extremely competitive, and I don't have a better offer so I'm going to take it. Bummer but oh well. This is still nearly a 160% increase in my comp even after the cost of living increase.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
I got a weird one so am giving lots of context. My partner is in R&D for an old established tech company that is based in the EU, but his office is in the bay area. His boss just announced to his group that this next week they could schedule a meeting to negotiate salary. Despite already being hired. He claimed this is an EU practice that generally isn't done in the US but he's doing it.

My take is boss knows how competitive the job market is, knows his group is underpaid compared to the bay area market and was given the go ahead by his vp to try and retain people by upping salaries, and is using the 'its an EU practice I'm bringing over' as a cover to mask his actual worry / intention and not lose bargening power.

My partner is Very conflict averse, but willing to listen to my advice and deal with feeling like poo poo for a week if he 'has' to. He was an intern for a year for his boss, and hired to full time last June at 160k. He's got a science BS, but humanities PhD so feels like his Banta sucks, plus really likes his job. And he 'doesn't want his boss to think he's going to leave'.

On the other hand he was given the highest rating in his yearly eval which is very difficult, is doing the job of one or one and a half promotions up, and his boss has said he's aiming to get him a promotion this next cycle, which we think is June. He doesn't know what his market rate is because he thinks with his humanities PhD he wouldn't be able to junp somewhere easily, which I disagree with but here we are. I told him to ask for 180k and be happy with 175k, in the hope that his promotion this year would be another 10 or 15k increase. He was originally going to ask for 165k. Anyone have a better read on the situation? I've negotiated before when hiring, once for a bit more money when I got promoted, but not just un expectedly and randomly as announced to a whole group.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
160k base with 10k bonus this year, and good bennies. His title is experienced researcher but that's an internal title and doesn't match industry terminology. He doesn't know what he would be outside the company so he's asking an old coworker about that.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees

Xguard86 posted:

In situ negotiation person:

Can your partner literally ask "what is the highest number you can give?". They can laugh it off if things get too uncomfortable "lol had to try".

I'll actually offer this up as an option. And he is conflict averse but willing to stick his neck out when it matters. His original job offer was for 140 and he negotiated them up to 160. He likes his boss too much and is too worried about coming off as rude, but I'm doing my best to coach him out of it.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Thanks for all the help my partner has a meeting with boss on Wednesday. I've shared all this, and most echoes what I started out saying. I'll update you all with how the meeting goes.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Results back from my partner at the weird EU place in the bay area, he got a 3.75% raise. He asked for an 8% raise. Context is this was his first job after PhD with a hard transition from a social science (with a lot of math) to tech R&D, and he had been there for 8 months. Not great at all given inflation, but he is also expecting a promotion this year. Now if that doesn't happen, then he's going job hunting.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
He's been at his company full time for 10 months now, as his first job in tech (and first after his PhD) and doesn't feel his resume is strong enough to get a good offer. AND he likes his job and boss and would prefer not to leave. I'll be pushing him to interview later this year given the work he's put out. His boss is clearly putting him in high visibility roles, they're just also a giant corporation that on the national level HR has the expected power over promotion tracks.

All that combined with getting married in June and nothings happening until at least the end of summer.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
All fair points and I appreciate them.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Tech R&D, writing patents and white papers. His output of both is far ahead of his peers including those a level up to him, and he has some really great visibility leading an employee resource group. And it's 8 months full time with 10 months previous to to full time as a 1/2 time intern doing the same work.

In the current job market he could likely go on the market and get a 10 to 15% raise at a minimum, but most of his patents are not yet public so his resume is not nearly as strong as it will be in another 9 or 12 months when they are and he can list them.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
I appreciate all these new perspectives on fresh PhD / patent stuff. I was told the opposite at first, probably because I was just mentioning tech. I'll keep all this in mind when talking to him about stuff. And haha yes very aware both he and I are biased.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yeah it's pretty dumb of the company to basically be training you for a competitor but it's how some companies operate.

Can confirm, I did this and got a 2.5% internal raise internally, went and got 18 months of training and experience then got a 55% raise externally.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees

Lockback posted:

Yep, a counter is the next step. 15% of my bare minimum if EVERYTHING is equal, so if you like your current job I'd want more than 15%. I don't quite parse how much more the stock is, but that does help. I'd probably counter more like 125% of your current salary.

This is an internal transfer / promotion that they applied for and want. I don't think any attempt will succeed, but you can certainly attempt. I would be modest with my attempt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
They can also present an opportunity to jump roles or levels that a large public company won't. That worked out for me, but it was a gamble for sure.