Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prince Turveydrop
May 12, 2001

He was a veray parfit gentil knight.
As far as I am aware, your previous employer can confirm what your salary was. I heard a secondhand story of a big consulting firm pulling an offer after learning that their new hire lied.

If I had a gun to my head, I'd frame the dollar figure as my "total compensation," hoping they'd misinterpret and giving me an out if they asked why my number is 20% above my base salary. My company actually quantifies my total comp in a year-end report every year so I'd have the perfect excuse.

Prince Turveydrop fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Mar 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prince Turveydrop
May 12, 2001

Accept promotion for the new job title. Update resume with all new responsibilities and start interviewing.

Prince Turveydrop
May 12, 2001

I am helping my girlfriend negotiate during her interviews and I have been rereading this thread for useful text in her emails. Came across this post with a link that has a lot of great info.

interrodactyl posted:

this is a very useful post on negotiating offers: http://www.kalzumeus.com/2016/06/03/kalzumeus-podcast-episode-12-salary-negotiation-with-josh-doody/

it says podcast but they transcribe the whole thing if you prefer to read
Dwight: maybe add to the OP? This answers a lot of questions we get in this thread with a lot of detail.

Prince Turveydrop
May 12, 2001

Anyone have experience negotiating against the Oregon Equal Pay Act or similar law? Someone I know received an offer for less than they wanted and think they deserve. The company justified it by saying they are faced with this law and they have to use "new legal filters" when assessing salary. When they prepared the offer, the company said they had to compare against candidates with a similar level of experience who, according to the company, do not make what the candidate is asking for.

Kinda bullshit to me. I think there are more criteria than level of experience that they could draw on to justify a higher salary but I'm not sure what the best approach would be. Appreciate any ideas.