Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

I had a great interview for a digital marketing position at a small local company. I anticipate an offer sometime late this week. I loved the company and it's exactly in the field I want to be in. I also have student loan payments, though, and money is a big deal at this point.

I'd be taking an 10% paycut - and there's really no benefits other than a pretty generous (14 day) PTO + paid holidays, and work-from-home opportunities.

Is it reasonable to negotiate job title -- say, from manager to director?

Or, to request an addition day of PTO/year (15 makes it 3 weeks off, total, which I can 100% live with)?

(Cross posted to interview thread. Sorry goons.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

Yes that's all reasonable to negotiate for.

Are you actually willing to walk on the offer if they won't give you the additional day and the better title?

They couldn't meet my (seriously 100% reasonable) salary requirement, so no job for me. The founder was a good guy, though, and recommended other local companies, praised my education/knowledge, and asked to keep in touch.

On the upside, I got an interview with a similar company doing analytics/marketing, so it's all good. I'm spending my night refreshing my R and Tableau.

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

paradigmblue posted:

Welp.

Just got off the phone with my regional manager.

The executive VP is not willing to provide any additional compensation for the position.

I now have until the end of the work day today to decide if I still want the job.

gently caress everything about that. Get out.

The added travel, if nothing else, mandates a raise.

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

Hi negotiation thread. I need help negotiating an immediate exit due to ongoing sexual harassment.

Here are a selection of comments from my boss. Direct quotes.

I am planning on quitting today with no notice, once I receive my offer letter (verbally accepted an offer last night). I am leaving my position due to documented ongoing harassment by my supervisor.

How should I manage leaving? I'd like to be done today with a good reference and avoid any legal entanglements
Any tips on what to say? I was going to meet at HR this afternoon.
Should I give them this document?

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

Thank you. This is exactly what I needed to know.

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

Update: Everything went better than anticipated.

I turned my letter in to the VP, who is my boss' boss. When pressed, I said there was a documented history of harassment and my impression from my boss was that reports of harassment faced retribution. She was appalled. She apologized profusely and repeatedly asked if there was anything they could do to retain me because she sees me as one of their top employees and 'smartest people here.' She got very upset and sent my boss to another building so I could gather my things and leave. She also offered to be a personal reference and that the door is always open to return in the future; she wrote out all her personal information on her business card for future reference. I thanked her and left.

I received and accepted an offer from a new company. (Got the verbal offer yesterday, waited till I signed the agreement today to resign). Anticipate starting in ~2 weeks.

I successfully negotiated nearly 50% raise, with substantially better (fully comped) benefits and the opportunity for professional growth. Also hopefully no creeplord bosses.

As for anyone asking why I stayed so long:
I live in an at-will state and have watched multiple people be terminated apropos nothing.
This is my first professional position out of grad school and a major shift (rare books to analyst work) and I didn't want to gently caress up my first opportunity to show competency.
My boss is the person with whom I have 90% of my professional interactions and from day one, he has emphasized repeatedly the inefficacy of HR and that 'people who cause problems get fired.'
I do not have the financial solvency to just quit a job without something lined up, and I tried to use my time at this company to develop as much as I could, learn as much as possible, and otherwise plan for the 'next step.' By being patient, I managed to get a new position with great pay, excellent benefits, etc.

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

I've played this move before and proceeded to stay at my same employer for another 2.5 years afterwards. Disloyalty is a minor dimension if you deliver, are valuable, and make your company money / make your boss look good.

IF and ONLY IF you have an offer from B that you'd accept:

Inform your employer that you believe that their compensation is inadequate and that you'd like to restructure your compensation package. Give them a realistic goal that keeps you where you are, and makes you happy to turn down the offer from B.
IF and ONLY IF they ask for it, tell them why you think you deserve additional compensation. ("Because someone else will pay me that!")
Do not show them your offer letter.
Do not precisely identify your competing offer. Describing the competitor in vivid but ambiguous terms makes your assertion easier to believe.
Your manager will probably either say "I need some time to make this happen." or "Good luck." If the latter, give two weeks on the spot and go to company B.
If the former, get a commitment to a TIMELY response. A timely response looks like "I will let you know by next Friday, October 4th, if we can do that."
If they do not give you the TIMELY response, give two weeks on the spot and go to company B.
If they do not reach your goal, go to company B.

If you aren't ready to leave, you aren't ready to stand up for yourself.

Jumping in to say you are such an asset to this thread. You helped me so much in leaving a toxic job a few months ago, and your advice and insight is consistently excellent.

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

How seriously should I take a comment that "$58 is the high end of the range for this position"? Is asking for 15% too much?

Strategies for asking for relocation or signing bonus?

I'm in the fourth round of interviews w a large (2500 person) company halfway across the country. The new company is in an area with a higher COL, and I currently have a decent job. They haven't said they don't offer relocation. They did say $58k is a the high end of the range. This would be a 15% cut for me. I'd be happy to keep my current salary rate, though (high 60s), because I'd really like to be in this new city.

I'm gun shy about asking for more, as I was awaiting an offer from a company a few months ago; hiring manager and VP said I should expect an offer letter. When I gave them my (seriously reasonable) salary requirements, they immediately went silent with all communication and then declined. No negotiation, nothing.
(I later heard they were actually under a hiring freeze, but still. )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

The best thing you can do for your career is get used to the idea of a company rejecting you because they are too cheap. (This will only leave the companies that are not too cheap to hire you!)

Thank you. I was being neurotic and appreciate the reality check.

Contacted by two more companies for interviews today, one of which is offering compensation in the mid-high 70s. :toot: