Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

redreader posted:

I got a call saying that the increase is approved and I'll get my job offer today or tomorrow. They bumped me up to senior and matched my old salary that I mentioned, but there's also a substantial bonus every year that apparently everyone at the company gets, or doesn't get. Mine would have been like 10% but is now 25%. My old job didn't have that so I suppose I'm sort of glad I got laid off, like I normally end up saying. Thanks for all of your help everyone.

Aww yiss, that’s dope as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

leper khan posted:

1. you can try going a little over base, but its usually easier to get other perks even if they net the same [conference/hotel budget/flight budget, learning budget, internet/phone paid, etc]

2. anything you get here isnt worth much. "we reviewed your salary and it still looks near top of market!"

Sorry if I missed this, but if they offer equity then it’s always easier for them to give more equity than almost anything else

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Nobody Interesting posted:

Yeah that does sound right - with any luck I'll have the balls to ask for something like that.

Do it. I had the exact same thing happen to me where I threw out a number that was like 50% than my last job and she was like “oh honey, we can get you more than that” and they did. Ask for like 110 and they’ll probably counter with something that’s good for both sides

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Jordan7hm posted:

Why would you ask for something (a second time)? Wait for them to make an offer.

Oh yeah this is the right answer, forgot about that. Listen to this goon

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Eric the Mauve posted:

No, you should ask for more money.

Your gut is traitorous and lying to you.

Your gut is trying to keep you safe from a perceived threat because you have an irrational fear of losing the offer if you negotiate. Tell your gut to shove it, and jump bitch!! You can do it!!

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

“I’m excited about Company’s mission, and optimistic about its future performance in the industry. I want to ensure my goals are aligned with the Company’s. If you can see your way to a total salary / extra stock grant / bonus percentage of $X%, I’m ready to sign an offer with start date Y.”

That’s the exact wording I used - in my case I was asking only for more stock, hence the wording about aligning goals (reading between the lines, I’m just saying “I want a bigger reward when the company stock goes up”). They sent the updated offer letter without even replying to my email lol.

Don’t be passive. Don’t be vague. Be assertive, confident, and specific. As others have said, doing these things will actually boost your image and the value the hiring people will assign to you mentally. The more you get paid, the better your manager will feel about having you on the team (assuming you perform adequately, and even then sometimes that doesn’t matter much) because you must be a great asset if you’re paid well.

This post is possibly the gold standard on salary negotiation - both the mechanics and the psychology. Especially valuable is the fundamental differences between your psychology and the hiring person(s)’. For you, it’s your life and livelihood. For them, it’s another Tuesday. For you it’s your income. For them it’s a line item among thousands. Read it.

https://www.kalzumeus.com/2012/01/23/salary-negotiation/

Good old Methanar taught me a lot of what I know about this industry, crazy son of a bitch that he is

madmatt112 fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Apr 4, 2024

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I'll continue to nitpick and say that "can see your way to" is indirect and detracts from your overall excellent example message. Good negotiators ask for what they want and they do not qualify it.

I’ll respectfully disagree that it’s indirect. It’s very direct and specific, and more specifically it’s used to set up the “if, then” structure of “if you give me X, then I give you a signature” that is meant to… “discourage” thinking that they have other options. Herd them toward your chosen outcome.

If they’re going to say no and/or send a counter-offer, they’re most likely gonna do it regardless of your wording (if they’re good at their job).

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

most HR people suck poo poo at their job OP

100% true in my experience :leavemtg:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The opposite structure works better: You get the good outcome you want (me signing right now) and in order to get that good outcome you give me X.

lol I can’t figure out how our two structures are different! I thought I was saying “if you give me what I want, you’ll get what you want”, which is how I’m reading yours as well.

Either we’re doing that thing where two people are arguing/disagreeing over something but actually agreeing without realizing it

Or

I’m dumb as bricks and my reading comprehension is bad.

I’m willing to accept either or both :hai:

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

it's purely semantics at this point and I'm not sure how much it matters, but you're structuring it as "Give me what I want, and in return I will give you what you want" and I prefer "I will give you want you want, and in return you will give me what I want" Lead with the thing they want and anchor them to that.

But it's mostly the second one at this point.

Ahh, okay I see. Well explained, thanks. Yours is a compelling argument

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Blurb3947 posted:

Was offered 45k, countered with 53k + more PTO, they countered with the money but no extra PTO. Accepted.

Thanks thread for the help, it's not much but an extra 8k will be a huge help for my expenses.

Hell yeah, you deserve every cent of that. The best part is that any raises you get will (most likely) serve to proportionally amplify the benefit you’ve earned here. So this is a win today and every time you get a raise at this company. Great job!!

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Pander posted:

Company offered me a 9% raise for the year.

It was more than I expected, but I still declined it and asked for 16% because I've been working my rear end off after we lost a couple experienced team members. I felt bad doing it because I really dislike negotiating, I'm such a people pleaser, I actually like my manager, and it's so hard to follow through on something like this.

We agreed on 14%. Worth it.

Goons stay so winning. 14% raise is great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

gently caress yes, dangle that ladder behind you! :haibrow: