Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Sooo, after being laid off at the beginning of the month, i flew down south this week and had an awesome interview at a respected and stable company. Recruiter told me that theybliked me and theyd like to start talking numbers to make an offer. Company i interviewed with is aware im laid off (was not going to lie, and was less awkward than anticipated to discuss actually.). Have not told recruiter ive been laid off however.

Recruiter asked for my previous salary, and a range/target im looking for, so haggling can begin. On phone interview with potential boss 3 weeks ago, i did throw out a range (i know not ideal, but didnt say what i was previously making), told i was overqualified, then invited to fly down and nailed the poo poo out of the interview. Nailed as in i held my own with the plant manager for over an hour without boring him, and its a 100M+ plant. Good technical learning opportunities, potential for underlings down the road in a year or two on the table, and get to do sexy stuff like getting 3D printing experience.

Sooooo advice please lol. My batna sucks, and they are aware of it. Im thinking top of the range i threw out during phone interview (20k bump from last salary, when including bonus)? Not aware of benefits yet, but they are likely decent/similar. However, i do hold an MS, and have a PE with 5.5 yrs experience, 4th pub dropping next week, and im likely one of the best candidates theyve had apply. Relocation packages on table too.

Is it weird for me to feel weird about saying what i made on a dead gay comedy forum? Would posting real numbers help the quality of advice? Pm me for now because im a paranoid pussy about putting it out there as of this post, but that may change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

real numbers help dawg

The numbers i threw out during phone interview with potential future boss were the 90-110k range. Conversation went like this: great resume youre over qualified, whats your range and i say 90-110k, rest of phone interview goes awesome. Next day get invited to fly down for the interview. Fly down for interview, goes super awesome from my point of view, theirs too i think.

The night after i return home, recruiter says theyd like a number and want to work towards an offer. I deflect again saying i want to hear their offer, i dont know what 401k looks like, is there a bonus (honest question dont know), relocation package details etc. recruiter says ok ill reach out, and get an email from hopefully future boss asking when i can talk, which is tomorrow.

My batna sucks, im unemployed and they know i was just laid off (too dumb/smart to try to lie). However, i honestly would be a good fit for the job on a ton of levels. This will be my first not out of college negotiation, so im confident in my skills but not used to applying to non-entry level jobs and being genuinely qualified.

Talking to ex ex boss, he said 110k might scare them for an engineer to ask for that much, but he also said i need to make sure i could get xxx manager/supervisor instead of xxx engineer.

Im inclined to believe ex ex bosss, and honestly even 95k is decent for the field at my level, but i do have a good skill set and just because im currently unemployed i dont feel like i should jump at a low ball offer(not yet anyway), and i definitely believe id earn my keep and more with a raise over my last job.

Ill do my best to get them to say a number first, but if not then 110 might be a bit too high.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I'm in software and thus am more used to salary numbers off in la-la-land compared to qualifications but this stuff screams "6-figure employee" to me. Don't psych yourself out of thinking you're worth that. Obviously your batna isn't great and if they say no-chance-in-hell then you'll crumble but I think they'll be pretty amenable to your numbers, especially if the interview went as well as you say. The plant manager genuinely liking you goes a long way - that sort of thing can be enough to get someone less qualified hired and with you, they don't have to compromise.

Good luck on your high-stakes phonecall. It's funny how these brief 15-minute conversations have more to do with your pay than any actual thing you do on the job.

Thanks for the advice, and the luck wishing. I did not negotiate for my first “professional” job, they said a range, i waved my hands and said ok, thinking id show them that id be worth more and “earn” my raises. Oh to be young and naive. I at least dont believe theyll be offended if i put a number out first in that range, i mean i did break the rules and say a number first.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

pro negotiation tip: don't loving move to houston

Not to derail, but why? Texas is an upward state economically, cost of living reasonable, it floods and traffic sucks but whats the major downside?

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Update: tried to get hopeful new employer to throw their range out first, they doubled down and told my recruiter you tell us, finally caved and my recruiter passed on my range (90-110k). Kinda dumb because i told potential boss this range on the phone, and i guess he didnt tell hr? Ill have an offer next week, will find out then.

Reloc package is nice, no down payment assistance but everything else basically. Employee stock program with 15% discount is nice (not sure if its a straight discount or options over 3 month period).

And of course i get two other firms asking me for my resume, just as firm 1 is going to put an offer on the table. One of them has a lot of potential (tier 1 supplier), maybe a corporate engineering role. If i get an offer I genuinely like, is it rude to ask for a couple days before i say yes? Maybe ill have a chance to feel out firm 2 and see if it could even remotely compete.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

More update: i recieved an offer in writing yesterday for 95k. Speaking with ex ex boss, he said i could try to
Push it up to 99, as thatd still likely be under a budgetary number, and shows that i dont shy away from negotiation.

Ill take the 95, and would be happy with it, but as he said this is my last chance to negotiate potentially for the rest of my career if i stay with them until i retire.

Thoughts/advice welcome.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

ask for 99 and if they don't budge take 95 if you're willing to take 95

Thanks, thats the plan. First real negotiation, so i hope it goes ok.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Vegetable posted:

Are you a very old man, why would you stay there until retirement?

If i found a job someplace that was awesome, why not stay there until retirement? Also im not “that” old, just saying with dramatic emphasis that opportunities to negotiate are infrequent.

Also i have a job now! I successfully negotiated for a other couple thousand bucks that would have been left on the table! Thanks thread, always (usually) negotiate

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Well thread, I have a pickle of a negotiation situation.

I was promoted last week (yay), and am told (believably) that I will be getting a salary bump on top of yearly merit raise. Before it’s pointed out, the plant manager that tapped me on the shoulder is a straight shooter, and well respected, and my company has a good track record of taking care of its employees that perform well.

That being said, I was offered the job, accepted it, it’s been officially announced to VPs etc, and that puts me in a terrible position to negotiate more pay when I get presented with formal paperwork (probably this week).

Assuming I get an offer that I am genuinely happy with, would I be seen as a pain in the rear end for trying to get my pay rounded up to the next even thousand? It likely will be generous, and it wouldn’t be the best if I come off as a “chiseler”

If I’m going to be in a position that would lead to upper levels, I feel that I need to make it a point that while I am grateful about more money, I’m still an entity that will negotiate instead of just taking what I can get. How off base is this theory/plan I have?

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

this is harsh, but rounding your pay up to the nearest thousand is a trivial amount of money and not worth potential image damage or burning of capital. it will make you look cheap, ungrateful, and politically stupid. it will not make the point you think it is going to make.

if you want to negotiate 20k or something, or if the offer is actually crap, then it might be worthwhile but unfortunately you missed the actual window for negotiation (hint: this was before you accepted the promotion) and the odds of you succeeding are roughly 0%

Ok, good advice! I’m not taking the criticism antagonisticly, it is a fair assessment of the situation. The kicker is that it happened so fast I was caught flat footed, which again my issue, but I imagine it happens fairly often.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Dik Hz posted:

Probably, but I think reflexively changing the title after Tnuctip asked their question would be needlessly antagonistic.

Tnuctip, you may have lost the battle, but you can still win the war. Make sure success is clearly defined with milestones. You can also negotiate for increased training, which will make you more valuable to your next employer.

As dumb as it sounds, I do think it will work out to be not awful monetarily. Have already started on defining objectives etc..

I understand that I did miss the usual negotiation phase, and provided that the increase is “ok”, do I have anything to gain by pointing out that while I’m happy with the offer, I’ll try to be a better negotiator in the future? More in terms of winning the war, and acknowledging i have long term ambitions, would it be bad to express those out loud to someone that’s a generally reasonable manager?

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

spwrozek posted:

How big a place are you out and do they have pay bands per level? Where I am at the move up a grade nets you a 10% raise, negotiation isn't possible. Maybe there is something similar (sounds line not). where you are at. where I am at depending on when in the year you get promoted you may or may not also get a merit bump at raise time. We have pretty rigid HR stuff though.

What if I told you that when I became the manager of my group 4 of my direct reports made more than me (I was 31 and them 60 but still). Managers are not always valued higher than individual contributors.

There are pay bands, and I’m near the top of mine, 4th quartile, but how they work here is a mystery, even to my boss. I possibly could have negotiated up, but the fact that big boss said he was holding back my raise until after merit kicked in, as he wanted me to have that too is a positive sign. Not sure yet if this will bump me up a bonus teir though, 10 up to 15% would be a sweet cherry on top. I think compensation wise it will end up being what idve been happy with negotiating, just bummed I missed an opportunity to be seen as one who negotiated. On a positive side, if there is one, my boss told me that coming in hard would not be perceived well by big boss.

Edit: at least I’m getting a P card, company phone, and possibly an office with a door. Also boss supporting me finally getting licensed in my state (been living here 3 years, starting to get embarrassing). Also no direct reports so yay?

Tnuctip fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jan 13, 2021

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Want a sanity check on my thought process here and post from corporate thread. I’ll be receiving an offer, yay. But its less than what I started at at former job 5 years ago, and I got a promotion there…

If they need to come up 40-50% (manufacturing related at a megacorp) would it be best to say we’re very far apart but I thank you for the interest and opportunity to learn more about your company, best of luck in finding the right candidate?

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Get to have a non fun call with a recruiter tomorrow after I was told that asking for more pay would get the offer withdrawn. And recruiters colleague who I made initial contact with emailed everyone that I was ok with the salary when i wasn’t, and as a bonus she also said I verbally accepted the offer Friday.

Sadly though there’s a higher level position open with them that I actually applied for but was ignored, what are my chances on converting application?

I guess the moral of the story is to just be pushy as gently caress to all recruiters all the time?

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

If you haven’t interviewed in a while, warm up interviews can be a very helpful thing. Getting on a plane to visit a place that has a hard limit 20% below your target, ehhhhhh but that doesn’t sound like that.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Chainclaw posted:

isn't everyone still doing interviews virtually? All mine were virtual. In some cases they were even spread out over a few days so I didn't even need to take PTO, it was really convenient.

It was definitely way comfier this year interviewing in my pajamas at home instead of flying, getting sick from flying, and being tired from sleeping in a bad hotel bed.

I’ve been pounding pavement like whoa the past month, but for a 2nd/3rd round interview in person is still very much a thing.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

So basically you should lie anytime a recruiter asks what you used to or currently make at a job right?

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Mantle posted:

In my experience, a big part of becoming a better negotiator is training your emotional state to not get flustered when pressed on saying a number. I relate it to getting used to rejection when asking a girl out. If you don't practice putting yourself in that situation, you will always be nervous.

For me the tipping point was when I was asked for my current salary at a screening call. I resisted a bit but thought if the company was asking in good faith, they would be willing to disclose the range for the position if I disclosed.

I told them what I was making, then asked them for the range. They said sorry that's confidential.

Since then, I have never disclosed.

What a bunch of cocks, that must have been very hard to remain composed after they dropped that stinker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

It’s not ok but yes they think that.