Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainPrivy
Jan 8, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
This may be the wrong thread but I need some advice.

I've been working as a 1099 contractor for about a year and 3 months for a small business. I'm very happy there as of this point in time. I've received regular raises every 3-6 months.

And I feel I have very decent benefits such as:

-Only working 7 and a half hours each day and getting paid for 8.
-Being able to take a day off and almost always get paid for it (usually 1 every 2 months - often a bit more let's say 8 Days a year)
-Having 8 paid holidays and 1 week of paid vacation

My boss is very kind and asked if I wanted to continue working as a 1099 or switch to a W2. I had previously decided not to switch to a W2 last year.

Doing so will involve some limits most likely on some of these benefits as switching to W2 will involve clocking in and out and being paid hourly more so than weekly I presume. I may lost those 8 extra days off a year. Of course, my take-home pay will be lower - but my taxes will also be significantly lower. But additionally clocking in and out could decrease my income if I do not work my full 40 hours which could happen. It will also take a month to receive for my first check upon switching which is a lot of time to wait.

I'm trying to figure out whether or not it's really worth continuing or switching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU