Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
You don't need any reason to justify why you want more. Just say something like your acceptance is contingent on getting what you want, or reject the offer and thank them for their time if they can't meet you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
Anyone know if government entities are able to negotiate with non-monetary benefits? I was able to at my last job for a WFH stipend but no clue if state or county jobs allow that.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
Or just say if the offer was at X that you'd accept it today and see if they bite or even come up a bit from their initial one to something you'd be okay with. Better than not even bothering after going through an interview process imo

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

Arquinsiel posted:

Yeah I'm starting to realise that I've got four months left to use most of my yearly allowance in and I'm going to end up just taking it as "staycation" due to how fucky this year has been. Doesn't matter how much PTO you've got if the company runs at 100% utilisation and you can't take time off.

Wait what, like they won't let you take PTO that you've earned or banked? Who gives a poo poo if the company is at max utilization, that's not your problem. It just creates the precedent that people don't want to take their PTO or it's frowned upon or whatever.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
If you do ask, make sure to get them in writing otherwise they're simply empty promises.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
Just got an offer that's pretty low but I'm expecting to move up pretty quick. My BATNA is pretty bad, as I've been carving into savings for a while so I needed any job really, and I have nothing else lined up at the moment. I'm nervous as hell to negotiate because my gut just says to take it, as I've been looking for 10 months for anything. Should I just ask for more vacation days or something like that?

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

Blurb3947 posted:

Just got an offer that's pretty low but I'm expecting to move up pretty quick. My BATNA is pretty bad, as I've been carving into savings for a while so I needed any job really, and I have nothing else lined up at the moment. I'm nervous as hell to negotiate because my gut just says to take it, as I've been looking for 10 months for anything. Should I just ask for more vacation days or something like that?

Was offered 45k, countered with 53k + more PTO, they countered with the money but no extra PTO. Accepted.

Thanks thread for the help, it's not much but an extra 8k will be a huge help for my expenses.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
Here is my template for success:

"I would be happy to sign the offer letter for $X salary..."

That's literally all I said.

Never don't negotiate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

nexus6 posted:

Hello. I've been unemployed nearly 6 months (terrible job market) but I've been interviewing for a new role and I think it's going very well. Fortunately there's been no discussion of salary (yet) and I know I should negotiate, but I've been without a job for so long and my savings can't last forever so I'm wary of sabotaging this (possible) opportunity. How should I approach the salary discussion when/if it happens?

Never don’t negotiate. If a company rescinds their offer because you fought for a little more for yourself then bullet dodged.

For me I had been unemployed almost a year and was desperate for a job. Was able to get an extra 18% more simply by saying, “I’d be happy to sign the offer today at salary $X”.