Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Got an offer for a new job in a different city. Trying to see how much I can push it...

Current job: $95k, 9% bonus potential, pretty cheap health insurance, $250k life insurance policy, three weeks of vacation, and match 3.5% of salary in 401k contributions (and a pension, with about $20k in it right now). Typical Fortune 100 environment, business casual/formal dress, etc.

Job offer: 100k, 6% bonus potential, cheap but not as cheap health insurance, $50k life insurance, 401k contributions are not consistent, and unlimited vacation (including a $500 cash bonus if you take 5 days off in a row). It's also a typical software environment, with free food/booze, relaxed atmosphere, etc.

I'm thinking I can ask for $110k, but don't want to spook them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

It's pretty close, slightly higher. Neither state has state income tax, which was a big worry for me when looking to relocate out of Memphis. If they say no to $110 or even $105, I'll still probably accept as my wife and I are really interested in moving, and the relocation assistance is a big benefit.

Edit: we met in the middle at $105k. Offer accepted!

Omne fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Aug 25, 2017

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Got an offer where the bump in starting salary almost matches the salary at my first real job; kinda want to negotiate it up just to hit that.

Real question: how do you evaluate stock options as part of your comp? This is a start-up, post-series A but profitable. I'd be giving up my options in my current place which is much closer to paying out around half a mil

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

JohnCompany posted:

I know some folks have asked for a signing bonus or similar to offset the loss of options; don't have a read on your situation specifically but may be worth an ask?

This is my best course of action, though I highly doubt I'm getting a signing bonus anywhere close to what my options are currently valued at.

Sundae posted:

This is going to be completely dependent on your risk tolerance. I won't even work at a start-up at all with my tolerance level, for example, and I value bonuses / stock options at 0% of proposed value until they are dollars in my bank account.

Someone more in experience in start-ups can give you a less cynical answer, hopefully.

I hear ya. I look at whether they're profitable, if they hit the rule of 40, etc. to gauge how risky it is. I also look at if they're achieved product-market fit and the caliber of their investors. If you get a good enough read on things from there, it should give a sense of how strong the company is. Nothing's guaranteed, of course. I guess I'm trying to see if I can exchange one lottery ticket for another of equal value.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Important to note in my circumstance that I'm not taking less salary for options; my salary will be increasing 25%. What I was trying to compare was options in a late-stage, $2B company that at most recent 409A are valued at $250k vs. options in a post-series A-but-profitable company.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Hadlock posted:

Yeah the correct answer to "how much are my pre IPO options worth?" the practical answer is, "zero". That's the sober truth.

I recently exercised $15,000 worth of options @ about $4.50 each, with a potential $60-100/share value. Post tax depending on your meet and valuation, that's $200-650,000 after tax. Assuming Biden didn't neuter long term capital gains taxes

But we merged/got aquired by a slightly larger company. After meeting their engineers, I'm pretty certain they'll never go public, and I just lost a 2018 Honda Civic worth of money I'll probably never recover, and this kind of loss isn't tax deductible

So don't bet on your options. Always optimize for salary if you can

Your options didn't pay out at a change-of-control event? WTF?

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Update: Managed to negotiate both more options and a higher salary. So now the increase in salary is greater than the salary at my first job, which feels pretty good.

Now time to actually sign this thing

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

And in terms of how to do that.....start with your immediate manager. Do not go directly to the CEO first, as that will likely destroy your relationship with your boss

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

If they're being that big of pricks with how the question is worded, then putting "0" will likely also auto-reject

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

sim posted:

Seriously, it's wild out there. Last month I interviewed with 32 companies. I was capping out at ~$200K total comp for most potential offers with startups with worse benefits than my current job.

I was failing technical screens at larger companies left and right. I was starting to think I was already at the peak of what I could earn without going on a six-month training session with Cracking the Coding Interview. I was pretty close to giving up and just staying at my current company for another year.

But then towards the end I made it past a few more technical screens and landed offers with companies that were willing to compete and they skyrocketed past $300K. I'm really happy that A) I chose now to do a job search and B) I stuck with it until I had an offer that was double my current compensation.

Indeed it is, and as a hiring manager it is loving crazy difficult right now. Any little misstep and you lose the candidate. Then you get to offer stage and you realize what was solid a few months ago no longer is.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Speaking of knowing what competitive market rates are, what's everyone's source-du-jour on that info? Glassdoor is....not awesome. Levels.fyi is pretty FAANG-and-adjacent specific.

Because whatever software (CompAnalyst or whatever) that my place uses....good lord is it terrible.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

The commute is a big part of it, yeah. But the ability to poo poo in my own bathroom is the real key to WFH for me

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

He asked for an 8% raise after 8 months into his first job in tech, and is upset at getting 3.75%?

I think beyond even the practicalities of it, there’s some expectations this person has that might be a bit out of alignment.

Dik Hz posted:

He’s been there under a year. I wouldn’t read anything into it, tbh. PhDs are just as clueless as everyone else in their first year.

drat you

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Both me and my wife have had offers rescinded due to negotiating, and both were patently ridiculous where I felt relieved at the end of it.

Me: Asked for 24 hours to think about it, which was granted. Called back before the time was up to ask a question and was told the job was no longer available. Got a job a month later making 50% more.

Wife: Asked for the company to supply a work phone and a slightly higher comp and signing bonus. Was told no, and that since she was asking for more they didn't think she'd be happy there. drat straight she wouldn't!

ETA: These situations are not normal, just that apparently lightning struck twice in our household

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

12 separate interviews is insane. I think our current process has four steps/seven people and I feel like it's maybe a person or two too much. If multiple people at the same level need to be involved, it better be via a panel.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

bltzn posted:

Sorry if this has been asked before but I'm seeing a lot of application forms ask for desired pay as a mandatory field. What's the move here? Should I write down an honest number or just put $XXX,XXX or something?

$0, Bob

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Is the ISO number a typo? 930k shares at a FMV of $47.50/share would be over $44M, which is a lot.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Ah that makes more sense. That's a very healthy initial grant, and given they're likely a Series D company and a healthy 409A, I'd say it's a de-risked start-up. But, since it's on paper, I wouldn't look too much at them. Removing that, the TC is much better where you are now, though not fully guaranteed. I'd be looking at the job itself. Is the potential ISO payout worth the longer commute and starting over at a new place? Only you can say

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

If they won't talk about funding (who, how much, etc.) and you can't find anything on crunchbase, run as fast as you possibly can

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Magnetic North posted:

Care to elaborate? What are the questions to ask about funding? How do I evaluate the answers? When is the appropriate time to ask about it? Run away from the position itself or just reject offerings and get paid more in base?

With a publicly traded company, you can look up all of their financials and have a deep understanding of how they're doing. With private companies, you cannot. With start-ups, there's an added wrinkle.

A lot of start-ups will be listed on Crunchbase.com, and you can see who invested, when, how much, and in what round. A start-up that got money from a known VC is going to talk about it. What you want to know is how early stage they are (pre-seed, seed, series A, B, C, D are the general steps), how much they got last round (and when that round was), what their burn rate is, how close they are to the Rule of 40, and if options are involved, last two 409A valuations. If they shy away from discussing any of this with you before you sign an offer, I'd be skeptical. You're likely to get bits and pieces throughout the process, with the 409A coming last since you'll have to have it in order to value any options they grant. For me, with this information it's less about whether to take more base instead of equity, and more about whether I think this company will exist in a year. If they're withholding a lot of this info, I'd walk away.

I'll note that in all the startups I've worked, I have not had this problem; most are open about funding status and are on Crunchbase, will discuss 409As when talking about options at the offer stage, but may hold back on burn/rule of 40 - if so, asking how close they are to profitability and digging in deeper than "close" may be the best you can do.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Kyoon is correct, and at the same time, unless you're entering the C-suite, your offer is not complex enough to warrant it. If the company is VC-funded, they have a cap table and option pool, so this stuff is set in stone already.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

I used to work for a large F100 company. They'd regularly trot out a senior exec to talk about their career path, how they moved up the ranks, etc. And I don't think they intended it this way, but it was crystal clear that they moved up and around a lot due to being in the company when it was first founded, and those sorts of opportunities are either incredibly difficult (i.e. transferring to an office in Europe or Asia, which they outright block now) or impossible (set up a brand new division).

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Did you *take* the job?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Are the companies of equal size? Titles in product management can vary wildly depending on the org, and Lead isn't too common amongst the APM-PM-SPM-PPM-GPM standard titling. As a hiring manager I certainly wouldn't care if you went from Product Lead at Company A to Senior Product Manager at Company B. They vary so much that Product Manager could range from a glorified PO/scrum master all the way to the de facto head of product (i.e. the ONLY product person at the start-up). If you get it, great, but Lead as a position isn't that universal to matter