Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
I applied to a few internal jobs last month, and I currently have third interviews for two of those jobs scheduled for later this week. My boss is concerned that I may actually leave his team for a new position and has offered me around a 10% bump in salary to stay.

Here is my question though: The jobs I am interviewing for are in a new city, and here in Boston the cost of living is 30% more than what it would cost to live in the new city. Even if I am not offered any more money for either of the new jobs, I would effectively be getting a 30% raise just due to paying less for everything.

Is there a way to negotiate a salary bump for my current job that matches what I would receive in the new city plus a 30% premium for the higher cost of living here? It sounds like a huge increase, but it would actually just put me on an equal footing with what I could afford in the new location if I accept a new job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.

Deadite posted:

I applied to a few internal jobs last month, and I currently have third interviews for two of those jobs scheduled for later this week. My boss is concerned that I may actually leave his team for a new position and has offered me around a 10% bump in salary to stay.

Here is my question though: The jobs I am interviewing for are in a new city, and here in Boston the cost of living is 30% more than what it would cost to live in the new city. Even if I am not offered any more money for either of the new jobs, I would effectively be getting a 30% raise just due to paying less for everything.

Is there a way to negotiate a salary bump for my current job that matches what I would receive in the new city plus a 30% premium for the higher cost of living here? It sounds like a huge increase, but it would actually just put me on an equal footing with what I could afford in the new location if I accept a new job.

So to build on this, I interviewed for both of the internal jobs and both interviews went well. I know that the manager I interviewed with yesterday was checking my references today, and that was the interview I thought I did less well in.

Here's my issue though: say that if my current salary band is 1, I am interviewing for a level 2 job and a level 3 job, but the level 2 job may be a better opportunity than the level 3. Level 2 would involve a decent level of interaction with the executive board of a fortune 500 company, which could be better down the road, whereas the level 3 job sounds fine but involves more layers of managers between the position and the executives. Level 3 will almost certainly pay better though.

Are potential networking opportunities worth accepting a lower salary?

As far as the team I am on currently goes, I really like my boss and the people I work with, but I really do need to earn more if I am going to stay in Boston. My boss has told me that he can't make a case to promote me unless I get a job offer from either of these interviews, so I have to see how all of this plays out before I can see what they will offer me to stay where I am.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
Who has two thumbs and two job offers on the table?

Tragically not me, I only have one thumb

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
Given my experience over the last two days: never try to negotiate and internal offer or expect a lecture from your HR rep

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
Well what happened was I received two internal job offers, and then my current team realized I was serious about leaving and offered me heaven and earth to stay. Except according to HR policies the team I am on is not allowed to offer me anything after I've applied to another job, I'm just supposed to select one of the jobs I applied for.

Then me, my boss, my boss's boss, and my boss's boss's boss all got the same lecture about how this process works, because the company does not like it when teams compete against eachother for employees.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
The irony of course is that if I had gone to a competitor then the sky is the limit for negotiating. It is absolutely fine to compete against a competitor, even if that might result in the employee leaving for that competitor.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
Are the rules for negotiating different when the offer is for a position at a charity? Or does it just feel sleazier to try to squeeze more money out of an organization that is trying to help people?

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
Yeah I ask that at every review. How else would you know how to get promoted?

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
Is it ever worth it to take an offer from an outside company to try to get a raise in your current role? Or does that just always mark you for replacement down the line?

For context my company has ~60,000 employees so I'm not sure I need to be worried about HR being mad at me or even remembering who I am, but my manager might be a different story. Does this just depend on my relationship with my manager?

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
Yeah that aligns with my feelings on it. I was wondering if anyone in the thread has successfully done it or knows of coworkers who have

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
I shouldn't have said use an offer to get a raise because this situation is more that I expect to get a counteroffer/match when I have the conversation with my boss about leaving. But it's essentially the same and I just shouldn't even consider a counteroffer.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.

TheParadigm posted:

From what I have heard - other people may want to confirm - you want to boomerang back to a place you like working long term, but after hopping around a bit to build your worth up.

Like, take another job, take the pay raise, come back in a few years if the culture is still good sort of deal

Yeah this is my plan. My company is notorious about not promoting from within. It seems most of our senior leaders spent a few years working elsewhere before coming back with a better title.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
To preface this post, let me say I'm not considering taking a counteroffer anymore.

One of the reasons I was considering it before though is that in my 10 years of working different jobs in this company I've only ever seen one person let go. It was part of company-wide layoffs and I know they tried really hard to find him a new job within the company before he found something else. So this is where my curiosity over the counteroffer comes from, because I would be surprised if this situation never came up with my coworkers and I just never found out about it.

So while I know all the reasons why I shouldn't tell my boss about another offer unless I'm accepting that offer, working for a decade at a company and never seeing anyone outright fired has given me a false sense of security.

I also have many coworkers who left for a year or two and came back, so I know that is a good option.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
So what's the right way to handle this?

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
Ha, 0 worked. I was just thrown by how sternly it was worded.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
Ugh, I'm so sick of trying to negotiate with this company. Prior to this current role, I turned down two offers because the salary was too low. I told the current recruiter this, and even gave my floor for a new position. I was told it wasn't a problem, went through four interviews, and the offer came in $10,000 under the floor I gave. Why waste everyone's time like this?

Time to blacklist this company I think.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.

Xguard86 posted:

Or acquisition or merger or ...

Reorganization. I went from being on a team I loved to being on a team I hated just because someone higher on the ladder decided to shake things up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
I’m looking forward to my exit interview. I can tell them that I really wanted to stay with the company and applied to 15 internal positions, and I only got an interview for one on the same day I accepted an outside offer.

Although they probably don’t care what I think since they didn’t seem to want to let me have a different position.