Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
Alright so I pretty well broke most of the rules :facepalm: but I was doing it to demonstrate I am working two jobs and so not just on a single salary, effectively. This company contacted me and have been pretty aggressive, but have only topped my single full time job by 10k. I’ll have to talk to them on that piece.

My bigger question is: they included language for non-compete in the same space (understandable) but also language that I am only allowed to work for them during business hours. Is this fairly standard stuff or is that a jab at me working two jobs? It struck me as rather odd, and if they’re going to take that sort of approach I’m getting bad vibes really quickly. I don’t know that I would continue my second job (or have time), but that really sticks out to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

It makes me wonder if it might be a better measure of past (or present) jobs to see how many folks you keep in touch with. I still have several from my last job, but I’m not sure I’d have anyone from either of my current gigs. Makes u think.

Jk this is the salary thread, what am I saying?

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

I’m kind of stuck the same way, new place contacted me, seems to really want me, and would be a big step up in responsibility with a chance to get the company’s US piece growing. But they can’t match dollars against the 2 jobs I’m working now, which are quite comfortable for what I’m earning. I’m talking a potential $30k cut, no. 401k match.

I’ve been trying to figure out how to get some insight into new company’s operations and hardware (telematics) to get a better feel for what I’d be responsible for fielding, but not sure what’s kosher as far as research goes.

For personal growth and engagement it seems like it might be worth a shot if they can bump salary a bit more, but at the same time my current spot is comfortable and while not 100% secure, looks to be for a while longer, at least.

I’m not out to set the world on fire and prefer to be good at what I do as opposed to a go-getter, but I struggle with complacency versus stress.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

True enough, there is a chance for growth and advancement (which I likely won’t have at either current gig) but the project has to go well and make other companies want to sign on, so no guarantee.

If I were to lose one of my current, this new offer would top one by itself, but otherwise I’ve been struggling to make it add up. It’s a small company fighting against one major competitor with overwhelming market share, doesn’t feel too safe.

I’m super not used to being sought out.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

My current situation, in case it’s of any help: working one full time position, was going to move to another at a new company via “temp/contract-to-hire” as of last November (new company apparently do no direct hiring these days). I’ve actually been working both as the second agreed to be super flexible owing to family/insurance circumstances at time of “hire” to lead into bringing me on full time benefits (staffing agency’s benefits are terrible).

Fast forward to now and they don’t have the position to bring me on (and no idea when that might be). However they’re asking me to dump my current job and go full time in the office 6/1. This position was slightly above a lateral move (I really feel like I should’ve cut the staffing agency out by now but I worry on the direct contract side too). I want to sit and discuss with them about staying flexible, otherwise it seems crazy to drop all my benefits for a potential open position sometime down the road.

Luckily I’m not out on my rear end if I walk and I’ve been lucky to be able to swing both, just be aware of the risks.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

This company has been harder hit than most, but in watching their board meeting the other day, CEO even said they will strictly not pursue adding headcount (mine would be a new position) and the financials look pretty bad through FY 23. I don’t doubt their sincerity in wanting someone in the role and their goodwill but as a lateral move, meh. I’d love to keep doing both but if push comes to shove, I’ll keep my primary as it’s not so bad as it used to be and pay/workload ratio turns out pretty nicely at present (with actual benefits).

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Absurd Alhazred posted:

The more I read here and get a bit of experience with these things, the more I think that outsourcing recruitment is one of the worst things you could do as any size company.

I’m guessing keeping HR people worth a drat isn’t easy either?

It honestly makes me wonder when I see companies that do it. Like ok, maybe that tactic is fine for sourcing entry level jobs with tons of mediocre applicants but at higher levels? Seems like you’d want an internal team. I’m sure it’s a cost thing but I wish more of the $ got passed along to the actual worker (that’s a separate issue, really).

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

I’m chuckling a bit about how bad I potentially hosed myself in accepting my current role, but at least it was basically lateral with mitigating circumstances that I needed to relocate home ASAP (and zero confidence). Ah well.

The company I posted about before that I turned down reached out again last week (figured no harm to discuss). Came home from PTO and went to dinner with another one of their higher-ups. Supposed to hear today but no response so far. They’ll really need to do something if they want me on this project, the radio silence today is a bit odd though.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

I’ve had those too, none ever panned out and it seemed like a heap of bullshit with different labels.

Edit: just got one out of nowhere, like magic. Haven’t seen one in a while now.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS fucked around with this message at 02:54 on May 20, 2021

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Alright so the company (I will call Company C) I mentioned previously reached back out and wanted to restart discussions. I said sure, because why shut out any opportunities? I was kind of hoping they’d come back with a new offer, but they’re asking what I have in mind.

My dual jobs (right now are going ~140 (90k full time/benefits [Company A] and same rate on contract [Company B] roughly half time), which I told C before, and they can’t get there.

Long story short, I don’t even know what to reply aside from “let me think on it”.

However, the dual roles will likely come to an end soon (Company B has just created the permanent role they’d promised me initially at the start in November). Job just posted, they told me the whole process will take a solid 6 weeks, by which time Company C will have long moved on.

I might be able to make 105-110 plus project bonus with C, and transition to regional babysitter after project is done.

I’m trying research the pay at the listed grades for B but not having any luck so far. I’m hoping if I pull ~90 after the staffing agency’s cut now (40 hrs) they’ll actually come in decently higher, but not sure it’s kosher to ask at this stage.

A will continue to meander, I expect, with poor communication and management. Best plus there is staying mostly out of sight and making a solid check with decent slack in my day.

Obviously I’m not used to this attention or any choices in job.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

m0therfux0r posted:

They will almost certainly come in at less than the 90k you're making now. That's how contract-to-full-time conversions usually work because they are now adding benefits where you were only getting cash compensation before. You might be able to negotiate for them to go up to your current pay, but I doubt that you will be successful at getting them to budge anywhere significantly over 90 and certainly not the 105-110 you're going to try to get Company C to shoot for. If Company C indeed end up being able to offer that much, I'd say that's the route you should take.

So I just stumbled upon a way to get the range w/ Company B, 41-116. I’m hoping they won’t lowball me, but I guess I won’t be surprised when we get to that stage.

Given that I have history with C now and they asked to re-open discussions but appear to have no new offer, what in the world do I even say?

I wish the timelines were a bit closer but C will want an answer before B is even very far along in interviews (no reason to expect that I wouldn’t be the front-runner).

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Ok so dumb question: I haven’t been able to get my email back to answer the “what are you looking for/what can we do to make this work?” with company C to sound worth a drat, I’m about to just call the guy (their CEO) and talk to him. I’m no whiz on the phone, but is this a really bad idea?

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Don’t forget the holiday, if a crucial person took a few days off that might grind the whole thing to a halt. Just a random thought.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

m0therfux0r posted:

They will almost certainly come in at less than the 90k you're making now. That's how contract-to-full-time conversions usually work because they are now adding benefits where you were only getting cash compensation before. You might be able to negotiate for them to go up to your current pay, but I doubt that you will be successful at getting them to budge anywhere significantly over 90 and certainly not the 105-110 you're going to try to get Company C to shoot for. If Company C indeed end up being able to offer that much, I'd say that's the route you should take.

Still on the not-so-merry-go-round with this, keep thinking I have it figured out, then not, and stressing out. Apologies for the ramble, just kind of unloading my brain:

I finally got C to tell me their range, 110-120. I had to kind of go around the way, but found out B tops out at 115 but it’s by grades and they don’t ever bring anyone in at max (give room to move up, which I understand).

Just had the sort of difficult chat with my boss at B to keep her in the loop and see what they could do for me. They had to re-open the application process so that whole thing is pushed back again, and C will want an answer within the next week for sure. She was supportive either way, which I super appreciate, but I didn’t come out feeling like they were going to be able to do much (hoping I’m wrong there).

B has pension and decent benefits, C doesn’t even have 401k match (standard benefits otherwise) but does have a project completion bonus, so the intangibles do balance out some. C will be more visible and higher stress at a smaller company, B is a bit more comfortable, but I’m struggling with the comfort/security vs. leaving money on the table.

[/braindump]

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Anne Whateley posted:

If B has a pension and benefits and a 401k match, it sure doesn't seem like it would be leaving money on the table even if your paycheck is $10k less.

Sorry, it’s pension and regular benefits, not 401k too (at least as far as I can tell). I don’t know if they contribute to the pension as a partial match or anything, might ask my roundabout source. Not sure if that changes your read of the thing.

I guess that’s where the rub is, where will B actually offer me in the range, but if they can’t/won’t tell me that now, do I just let that offer go? Hoping my boss there will actually go and dig/go to bat for me.

C’s insurance is very middle of the road, also based in Atlanta, which might make some network funkiness in Texas, where I am.

I wish it were simpler to pick a clear choice. There is some risk with either, but probably far less with B (city owned). C is a more risk/more reward type of situation (small company with tiny market share).

PIZZA.BAT posted:

yeah this is baloney. i'd rather be brought in at the top and only get cost of living adjustments than have to 'work for it'

I may be a bit of a kool-aid drinker on this one. At this point there’s some value for me in getting some recognition of work and seeing some progression. I wouldn’t complain if they maxed me by any stretch.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jun 4, 2021

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Congrats!

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

It’s a tough game: who is the bigger foe, the company or yourself? Double negotiation!

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jun 8, 2021

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Well I was talking w/ Company C Thursday night, asked a few questions last night, and they come back today and tell me they hired somebody :wtc: this whole thing has been so weird, I ain’t that mad about it since they came to me (twice), but whatever. I did mention the “offer” (which they never made formally despite pushing for new discussion) to B, we’ll see if it ends up leveraging me up at all.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

If you’re serious about it no sense waiting longer, IMO.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

TheParadigm posted:

Has anyone had luck getting a noncompete waived through asking for it to be paid/salaried if enforced, or is that more of an EU/non USA thing?

I remember reading a while ago that one of the big powers that be changed things so that if a company enforced a noncompete, they have to keep paying salary out for its duration, but can't remember the specifics. Was it struck down or is it still a thing?

Forcing a company to pay out any time a worker is not chained down on company premises would basically never happen in the US (or it would be by force, at least).

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Owlspiracy posted:

thank you so much to this thread - they are going to meet my updated ask and i will get a specific clarification on the non-compete terms that narrows it to a point where i am not concerned :)

:yeah:

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

I believe the logic for justifying a number is to not justify it openly. You’re best off just telling them what it would take to get you to move. Do your calculation for what makes it work for you, then pitch the number and nothing more.

(thread tell me if I’m wrong here)

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Prestige sounds like the “exposure” of the business world.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

So the interview process is going to start with Company B, finally. Reading back over the OP, but this whole thing has been so disjointed I have no idea now what their internal recruiter even knows. I guess I will still try to deflect the salary question? They already know what they’re paying me as a contractor, and they will need to beat my current salary and match my vacation, but I know that’s the goal not the opener.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Well the contracting gig is running concurrently to a FTE position I already have with another company. They agreed to it at the outset, with the plan being to bring me over to FTE, but that has been delayed a few times.

It might have been delayed further but I told them both jobs wanted me in-office 6/1, and I couldn’t be two places. Then the FTE role suddenly materialized (and has progressed really oddly).

Anyway, I will deflect on the pay/comp, honestly if they aim low, they won’t even beat my current position, at which point I’m not sure what to do. I found a back door source that lists the range for the FTE position up to 115 (which my boss said they won’t realistically do).

I make 88.5 in my current spot and $43/hr contract (thru staffing agency which is probably a mistake but didn’t count on this continuing). Being able to do both is great, neither takes anywhere near FT (I only charge 20 hrs/week to contract). But if this conversion only offers 90 and possibly less vacation, they’ll either need to adjust up or I guess I leave it.

I did have an informal offer for 110-120 for another role, and told the contracting employer about it, which is why I don’t know now who knows what and where that leaves me. That ship sailed (another screwy process), but I put the info out to my contracting boss to see if they would be somewhat competitive.

If anyone is cringing, yes, I am quite bad at all this. Much obliged for the help though, as always.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

It’s crazy to think that you have to tell a recruiter basically “do your job” to get there, but hey, whatever works.

I guess there could be an argument on internal recruiters, etc. but still.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Parallelwoody posted:

I'd like to work at a company with good HR. And I work in HR.

Be the change you want to see in the…HR

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Forgive my ignorance, but how does one nurse others from home?

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Well, an update from whenever ago I posted, definite failure story. My second job finally made the permanent position for my unexpectedly long-term temp spot. I think I finally interviewed in August after screening in July. Decision came down in October, not selected. Asked for any feedback from my manager, thought we’d gotten along well enough, absolute silence.
I can only assume I was too porous with my info and maybe asked too high. I’ve also been in the hospital twice during this period (I did let them know as I had to drop off the radar) but no evidence they tried to reach me.
At any rate they’re starting to bleed top level execs and support staff, so likely fine in the end, just a bit grating that I did the job for almost a year then don’t get selected. I’ll get over it eventually.
Not sure if/when I’ll look again, have some health issues to try and get sorted that may take a while.
Y’all keep on winning out there.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Eric the Mauve posted:

It's exactly this.

Yeah, shot myself in the foot trying to be considerate, I guess. Seems part of the core message in this thread I guess. Thanks for the confirmation at any rate, y’all.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

No, this was all after the fact. I did notify them when my contract was still active (August) so I wasn’t just MIA. I believe my second hospital stay ended after the rejection was sent, I reached out to see if they ever wanted their equipment back. Neither hospital trip was planned, so I couldn’t have let them know in advance. One way or another I did something(s) wrong, not denying that.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Thanks y’all. Right now I am having to juggle possibly being on disability for some length of time and wondering how that might affect this game going forward.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

So by my reading, 5/5 and 6/6 are a 1:1 ratio, or full match, up to the given percentage (5 or 6%). $.50 match would be 6/3 or 5/2.5, respectively. First number is employee contribution, second is company match.

All this talk does make me miss my crazy oilfield 5/10 match though.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Wow that seems unnecessarily convoluted but maybe it’s to incentivize a broader cross-section of employees as mentioned previously? Otherwise it seems like administering that piece would cost more than just fully funding a match.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

They weren’t even my questions but I want to say I appreciate the time and effort invested in that answer. :hfive:

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

81sidewinder posted:

Explain why you can't tell them exactly this?

Do we call this “the man behind the curtain fallacy” or something?

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

knox_harrington posted:

The HR goon is back in touch

I was wondering how you knew they were on the forums, and then…oh

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

downout posted:

How do companies get the stocks for RSUs? Buy stock or issue new ones?

I’d think it’d be the former as the latter would make existing stockholders unhappy.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Dik Hz posted:

Also, buy your partner an account so they can post here themselves. Lots can get lost in translation.

Then they’d have to add the enormous cost of an account, av, etc to their comp demand. We don’t want to sink the deal!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Honestly your realism/cynicism(?) are the sort of thing people here want, even if they may not know it initially. A lot of people are still stuck believing companies care and will reward those deserving. The wake up call is the advice most people need to hear (me included), IMO.