Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

i took a job at a startup a little over a year ago under the understanding the offer was below market but that i'd be given time for personal research projects and my salary would be adjusted to compensate after our series A

they had taken a small friends and family round and a seed round before i joined and raised what they termed a 'second seed round' in december. i was told a series A would follow within 12 months at the time

the research time never really happened due to normal startup time pressure, my team headcount never hit the target i was given when i joined and i hit every personal and team milestone i was assigned

i asked about salary review about a month before my 1 year anniversary and was told salary reviews were ongoing and i would hear back soon. i just got my adjustment and it is frankly insulting. the equity grant is the bare minimum i would expect and the salary increase is tiny as a percentage of my compensation and still leaves me making much less than i could be making elsewhere

i was told to not expect another adjustment until next spring when we are profitable and that the series A is on hold to 'preserve employee equity'

is this situation salvageable or should i walk immediately? i believe i'm critical to operations but that my manager/COO think i'm low risk to quit. most of the dev team were pulled out of the corporate world, are vastly underpaid and are uncomfortable 'rocking the boat'. the few that aren't have significant equity (far more than me)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

CarForumPoster posted:

Suffice it to say I don't feel screwed by my company because they won't give me what I want right now. I'll still demand it, even if it is an impotent demand, and if I dont get it in a few years I'll move around.

...but to say move companies now would be ignoring the many factors that make it worth staying. By the way I actually like my current role better. The only incentive to move was to move up on the payscale and show a bit of career progression. My same-grad-year friends at other companies aren't getting paid as much, aren't getting a free master's degree they want, don't get paid a nice bonuses, etc.

you're never gonna get it because you've tried to transfer twice and stuck around when denied both times. literally everyone else in the department is gonna be ahead of you on the transfer priority list now

if you were truly critical they'd offer you more money when denying your transfer because they'd be terrified to piss you off enough that you walked. no raise means they don't actually care if you walk. or your managers are as impotent as you

if you're happy with your job then stay, but you should keep your mouth shut about transferring. you're ruining your career progression by showing you'll take no for an answer

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

CarForumPoster posted:

Being well liked by my management coupled with my work performance and other parties interest in me is what got me promoted. You have a lot of claims about me and my personality but the data says otherwise. Chill.

your data that says you're paid 25% below industry average?

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

CarForumPoster posted:

You should quantify how your career is doing that merits your great ideas.

i dropped out of school to make video games, almost immediately quit that industry to spend a decade as an artist in the film industry and now i make $220k as a programmer specializing in distributed systems and ~*~big data~*~

three years ago i was making $90k in my first job as a programmer since the video games days

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

btw being a good, talented and effective programmer will earn far less than being a good, assertive and persuasive negotiator

this is very true. i make twice what some of my coworkers make (including some who are just as talented and productive and who have longer tenure) because i was willing to put in the time to research my own value via networking with my peers and via considering other opportunities. that gave me the confidence to make compensation demands i would never have considered if i didn't know what my alternatives were. my underpaid coworkers, on the other hand, are overly loyal to our employer and complacent and unwilling to consider alternatives

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

East of I-5 and make sure your home is earthquake rated.

this will keep them out of the tsunami zone but will put them right in the firey megavolcano zone

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

maybe software is different but i vastly prefer external recruiters to internal. the external ones have a way better sense of market value and do a way better job of pitching me jobs i might actually want to do. they're also way more motivated to actually keep the process on rails than internal recruiters. internal recruiters just shotgun me with every opening they got that has a couple keyword matches with my resume because they get paid whether i reply or not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

TheParadigm posted:

Has anyone had luck getting a noncompete waived through asking for it to be paid/salaried if enforced, or is that more of an EU/non USA thing?

I remember reading a while ago that one of the big powers that be changed things so that if a company enforced a noncompete, they have to keep paying salary out for its duration, but can't remember the specifics. Was it struck down or is it still a thing?

in some jurisdictions a noncompete is only valid if there is compensation attached. the compensation might be like $1 but you can probably negotiate the compensation