Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adhemar
Jan 21, 2004

Kellner, da ist ein scheussliches Biest in meiner Suppe.
Long time reader, first time poster. Chalk up one more win for the thread. I just signed an offer that will give me a 76% bump in total comp for the first year. That’s mostly because the current job has been underpaying me, but I was still able to negotiate for more than I expected.

What helped me most was thoroughly understanding my BATNA, refusing to give a number first, and having the willingness to walk away from multiple opportunities if necessary. It really amazed me how much it changed conversations compared to the last time I did this, when I had no idea what I was doing. Thanks thread!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adhemar
Jan 21, 2004

Eric the Mauve posted:

He can just name a number high enough that he would be willing to accept it and bear the risks.

I recently did this and they couldn’t get there. I think it’s perfectly reasonable, but I work (almost past tense) for a huge company with a very well established “dive and save” process. I have a friend who has successfully done it twice now and still hasn’t been replaced.

Adhemar
Jan 21, 2004

Good for you and your fam, goon. Sounds like a well earned achievement after some very hard work.

Adhemar
Jan 21, 2004

This is why the safe play is to also take a giant poo poo on your manager’s desk.

Adhemar
Jan 21, 2004

I wouldn’t wait to get something in writing to negotiate. What did you say when they “wanted to make sure $XXX was good”? That would have been the time to negotiate specifics, including signing bonus, verbally.

Also, I hope this isn’t the only company you’re talking to because I wouldn’t hold my breath on them coming through.

Adhemar
Jan 21, 2004

They’re writing an offer letter before first agreeing on comp? Usually the negotiations happen before that.

Adhemar
Jan 21, 2004

If you touch computers well enough to know C++, I hope you know you can do much better than that offer.

Adhemar
Jan 21, 2004

Also illegal in a growing number of states in the US.

Adhemar
Jan 21, 2004

Telling a potential employer that you’re a member of a protected class actually also puts them in legal jeopardy. It creates an incentive for them to find a legitimate reason not to hire you so they can avoid a potential tough legal situation. I worked at a very large tech company and we were taught a specific phrase to say if someone brought up something like that (and of course to never ask about it ourselves).

So yeah, do not tell them.

Adhemar
Jan 21, 2004

Don’t remember verbatim, I never had to use it thankfully, but it was something like: “Thank you for sharing that information, I won’t use it to evaluate your suitability for the role.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adhemar
Jan 21, 2004

The Negotiation Thread: weird flex but ok