Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I've been sending out a ton of resumes and i got a response basically saying thanks for the resume please forward your salary expectations.

Now I haven't been interviewed and have no idea what the position would be paid. So it's a bit of an awkward spot for me. Suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

An extra 3 hours a day not dealing with office Bullshit?

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

I interviewed for a job which they told me I got. Gonna hire me I guess. Had to fill out another application so they could do background checks. I left my salary history blank. Now the HR person sent me a email this morning asking for salary history. What's the good response here

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

Did they tell you what they're going to hire you at already?

My boss suggested a hourly that I would be offered, but he didn't sound sure of the number

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

It's for a survey crew chief position.

My options are "contractually obligated to not share" or the line about sharing it after an offer

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Well I went with "I am not comfortable sharing this information which my prior employers consider private. I much rather prefer to focus on the value I would bring to company instead" or similar and it worked fine.

They sent an offer over which is fantastic compared to my current setup. 100% jump in payment, 401k, more time off, better medical. So I'm happy. It is slightly lower then what was suggested during my interview. I said great I'll look it over I'll be in contact soon. Do I send an offer back to hit in the range suggested in the interview?

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Just had a pretty killer interview for a new job. Wooo. I am writing a thank you email now along with references and a writing sample they requested.

Now my lease is up in 3 weeks and without a job I am moving out. Do I mention this in the follow up email? Like hey not to rush you guys or anything but I might be leaving the state without a work commitment at the end of the month.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

I got emailed some additional questions from a perspective employer. Included was annual salary expectations. I plan to deflect, probably saying something about not knowing all of the benefits offered? Some advice here: I likely won't be offered as much money as I make now as I am possibly changing career paths a bit. Do I mention my pay rate if asked because it is so high? Does that prevent them from offering me a role if that is the case?

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

I made it to 4th interview as one of two candidates for a position I wasn't huge on. I've done the job before and it's okay but I'm not thrilled about it. So I know I'm gonna ask for a lot of money. I manage to get the salary range out of the HR guy and they are paying 58-72. Great! I've done this job before, know my poo poo, I ask for 70 in the job interview.

I don't get it, but that's okay. I find this out because the guy who does get it calls me for a reference. We worked at the same company learning this same sort of job. He has more experience then me and has a certification (not required for the position). I know he doesn't know how much he is worth or how to negotiate. When they asked him what he wanted he asked for 22 an hour, they gave him 25.

This thread is doing the Lord's work

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

He called me asking for a reference and that's when I found out he was the other candidate. I asked him what he asked for and he told me 22 an hour. I was totally stunned. I told him then on the phone what they told me. 58-72. At that point he didn't know what they were going to offer him. His negotiation for pay would begin the next day when they officially sent a written offer. Why he didn't ask for more money then I do not know. Maybe he couldn't believe how loving terribly underpaid his previous position was. He trained me at my last position, has a few years more experience, and a certification and I negotiated to be paid more then him when we worked together. Because I was making more then 22 an hour then.

This is what happens when you don't know what you are worth and how to negotiate.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Droo posted:

Is the 58-72 range an annual salary of 58k - 72k, or is it also dollars per hour?

Annualized. So 28-35 an hour.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Are federal government offers negotiable? What's negotiable in them? Can I request a rate change from tech to a professional listing? Can I ask for a higher step?

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

It's frustrating because your personal view of what a good job is extremely nuanced and, likely, divorced from reality. You are probably reaching into the either, imagining a "good" program, and what objectively is "good" and having a hard time reconciling your work with what is beautiful. But, and this is important, that is not the actual standard against what you will be measured. Can you solve problems and submit code that works? That is the standard. Do you meet that standard?

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

NM!

Dr. Fraiser Chain fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Nov 20, 2018

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Sobriquet posted:

I’ve been interviewing with a company I’m very interested in working for, but I have a great BATNA in my current position. I am laid well and have amazing work-life-balance (flexible hours, wfh ~1/3 of the time and walk about a mile when I have to go in), but I would like to feel more fulfilled and challenged at work. The new job is a big relocation away from family support (including giving up free part time child care from my mother in law). Although I _think_ I’d be happier in this job it’s still a risk, and it’d be nice to have a big chunk of change to offset that risk.

The company never asked my current salary, and I never provided a salary expectation, but the offer came in a bit less (~9%) than my current base. It’s about 5% below the average for this exact position at this company on Glassdoor (of only six reported), and 10% lower than a recent offer I turned down (based on fit, not salary). The rest of the benefits are somewhat of a wash. Bonus “target” is 15% where my current is 0%, 401k match gets worse but still good (7% to 4%), and state income tax goes away. The signing bonus probably covers the move but barely, and not cost or time to sell our house.

My gut says I can negotiate up to approximately the same salary I’m getting now, but before doing that I guess I need to decide if I’d take the job for break-even or not. It’s very tempting, but a little disappointing in that it’d have been nice to get a number that would make it an obvious good move. My dream was enough for my spouse to work remote half-time for a year while looking for a new job, but the offer is about 30% too low for that. The company is a tech/consulting company with about 100 employees and plans to grow to 200 over the next 2-3 years.

This is kind of rambling, but feels good to put into writing. Can any of you internet strangers offer some advice on how to proceed?

E: I guess if I have a specific question it’s this: is it crazy to ask for 30% increase in base pay, or should I just walk away since we’re probably just too far apart?

Why would you want this job? You are taking a big pay cut losing family support, and likely a hit to your quality of life. All of that in exchange to feel challenged at your job? You can feel challenged at home with hobbies

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Letting them think they will get one over on you?

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

What's the deal with unlimited vacation? It's obviously not unlimited, they aren't paying you to be on vacation permanently. It just feels loving lovely to read that as a policy

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

It's an American capitalist hell scape perspective. Can you just be fired from your job? Can your boss just walk into your office and terminated your position?

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Billionaires access to labor is a return to the power structures of the past for sure.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Thanatosian posted:

I had a job interview for a position with a city government in Washington State today; I don't anticipate getting an offer, but the position is union-represented; given that it's a government position and union-represented, I think benefits and salary are locked in and non-negotiable. Is that the case (I've never been in a union before)?

Typically the government Union job has strict pay bands and offerings. You can negotiate, but it's usually within the pay band ( correct me if I'm wrong here ).

For instance you could be offered a job for "Engineering Whatever" and they have Ranges A-D paying 4000 a month at the start of A to 10,000 at the start of D. You probably can't negotiate for more then the bands, but you could negotiate yourself from A into D if you can prove you meet the standards for D.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

The assumption is the position is entry level?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

I got a job offer from a state agency. However I'm currently the health insurance provider for my wife who needs surgery. How bad is it too turn this down? Bridge burned if this position opens up again in a year or two?