Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Hey, who screwed up the notes/negotiating strategies in the spreadsheet? They don't seem to line up with the corresponding poster, so I skipped a row when I put my info in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

I'm not sure how to proceed in my current situation. tl;dr below

I live in a very expensive metro area and I've been at my employer for almost two years. Based on public employee salary data from across the country, it looks like I could make 15-20% more if I'm willing to change employers and possibly relocate. I've begun applying and interviewing for positions in comparable cities so I can see what options I have and hopefully learn more about my value.

Pretty basic stuff, but here's my dilemma: I love where I work and would prefer to stay here. If it turns out that I'm worth more to someone else, I'd like to give my employer the opportunity to retain me by offering me more money. However, my supervisor doesn't control the budget for our group within the department. I work in a very technical and specialized profession, and no one is more qualified to evaluate my performance than my supervisor. My annual reviews have been stellar, and he's made many comments about how lucky he was to get me, he frequently checks in to make sure I'm happy, and I'm certain he wants to keep me. He's also put in a lot of resources into getting me training for my specific role, which is unique within our group and department. Within my profession, the experience I've gotten is unique and I doubt they could find anyone who could immediately step into my role if I left, so I feel valuable.

Unfortunately, my supervisor doesn't control the salary budget for our group, so he can't just give me a raise even if I walk in one day with a competing offer. He'd have to appeal to the administrative director of the department, who doesn't share our technical background and is much less familiar with me and specific role in the department. I'm concerned that if I had a competing offer, my supervisor couldn't get me a raise guaranteed quickly enough, and I'd have to make a decision to stay or leave before hearing anything official about a raise. I feel like that lowers the negotiating power I'd get from a competing offer.

I've had success with recent interviews and I'm moving forward in the process with some employers. I haven't gotten an offer yet, but I think I need to have a game plan for when I do. Do I play it the 'normal' way by taking it to my supervisor, telling him I'm prepared to accept the offer, and seeing what he says? If he advocates for me getting a raise, do I milk the clock as long as I can before making a decision? If he is trying to get me a raise but hasn't secured one by my deadline, but insists it will come through later and asks me to be patient, do I take that chance?

I've been selective with my applications and I would feel happy relocating for these jobs, but again, I prefer where I am now and would stay with a competitive counteroffer.

In my case, would it make more sense to talk to my supervisor about adjusting my salary before I get any competing offers?

tl;dr

My supervisor values me, but doesn't control a budget for salaries. I have unique skills that would be costly to replace. I am pretty sure I'm worth 15-20% more than I'm getting in comparable cities across the US, including my own. I'd prefer to stay with my current employer, but I'd leave for 15-20% more money. I'd like to give my employer a chance to retain me, but I'm afraid that my supervisor won't be able to secure a raise for me before my deadline for answering another offer. Should I talk to my supervisor about a salary adjustment before getting another offer, or should I wait til I have an offer and take my chances?