Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

district 12
Oct 19, 2004

muscles griffon~~
Hello thread,

I am in the midst of a very successful interviewing process and the next step is speaking to the owner, which will likely result in an offer. The job title is Digital Content Producer/Editor but because it's a small company, based on what my interview process has been like so far, I'll be managing, editing, and/or writing nearly every bit of copy for the site.

I've been burned before by a "small" company paying me a barely-livable salary and I don't want to repeat that mistake, but this job is the most ideal next step I could have asked for in my career, so walking away will be really, really hard.

Basically, if they lowball me, how do I bump up the salary significantly? Without Glassdoor for the company, how can I anticipate what they might offer me to prepare for negotiations? It seems like a successful business, based on the press they get, but during the interview the person I spoke with kinda emphasized that it's a small operation.

I know what I want and I know that I deserve it because I am talented, but if they offer me 20k less than my desired salary... can I say, "All my research has shown that a comparable position makes $XXk a year and I would like a salary commensurate with my experience, talent, and the going market rate"?

Because I've tried that before, and it got me $35k in NYC. That was a really rough year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

district 12
Oct 19, 2004

muscles griffon~~
Yeah, I figured. That makes sense, but it's comparing Wisconsin to NYC, hourly to salaried, and contractor to full-time employee... the new position is a step up as well so the salary should be, I think.
There are some strange circumstances surrounding this too, namely that I haven't yet graduated (that's in May) and so getting equivalent offers seems tricky; also this position was recommended to me by a friend of the owner. I didn't expect the interviewing process to happen so quickly.

Essentially, I'm fine staying put in my current job (which increases my BATNA value, right?) and waiting until I graduate to apply elsewhere but this new position is truly a dream, the timing is just a little weird.

I'll see what happens, I have a few years of experience in this industry and I'm earning my bachelors, so there's that standing behind me, at least. (Also, the interviewer said my writing samples were impressive, so that's a point for me, as well.)

district 12
Oct 19, 2004

muscles griffon~~
Thanks! It's good to have my feelings confirmed. I have a range in my head based on what's livable in NYC to me, so as long as it's minimum the low number, I can figure out the rest.