Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Eric the Mauve posted:

Have you ever actually worked in that sector? If you're lucky you might be able to get yourself $10 an hour instead of $9.50. That's about it. If you have personal knowledge of any negotiation success story more meaningful than that, please share.

I remember working at a store a long time ago and asking for a raise from $7.50 to $7.75 because my coworker had started before me at that rate and I was being paid less, and being told no. And then I went back to work because I knew I could be replaced in a day or two if I quit

Been thinking about this post since yesterday, not sure I have anything to say here, except that it sucks to be easily replaced and working two jobs to pay rent and keep the heat on, let alone develop savings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

And if that doesn't work, try a temp agency. They'll usually make you grind out a couple months doing banquets and food service poo poo but eventually once they trust you, will give you some assignments as office temp work that ought to eventually become temp to hire. I tempted in a literal mail (and fax) room for a year before they brought me onboard full time

I have some friends who started off as secretaries answering phones before being given more responsibility in the back office... Once they hit 23

Good luck getting a white collar entry level job before 22 though. Anyone under 23 without a formal degree, at least where I grew up, is merely sausage for the retail/food service meat grinder, as far as society is concerned

That said we just hired a new kid out of school and he's doing weird stuff like leaving meetings early to go to lunch and recording the meeting without telling anyone, so maybe there's something to the age 22 thing

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Feb 19, 2021

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

There's a position, and I found out that an H-1B holder having the position, which means their 2019 salary is public record

I was going to swing high*, say $1150-1175, I'm coming in as a personal referral from a top ranked employee, and then when they counter, point out that the H-1B salary was $1000 in 2019, so with 4% compounding annual raise ought to be, for example

2019: $1000
2020: $1040
2021: $1082

And then propose ~$1100 since it's Q3 2021 already and won't qualify for annual review on time etc

Also what's best guidance on starting bonus for a senior tech position these days, 10% annual salary? Rounding up to the nearest $5,000? I'm not sure if they offer RSUs but presumably they will if everything goes according to plan. A friend said their equity system was pretty generous, at least when they started a while back.

* after they give a number first, JFC; why did the thread title change, it was perfect

fourwood posted:

Hell yeah, get paid.
Never don’t negotiate.

Side note, last time I did salary negotiations, I swung a 12% increase over the initial offer, doubled my bonus, and got 50% additional equity over initial offer, but took two weeks of back and forth
Job before that, I said a number first, they gave me the low end of the range I said (never say a number first, JFC)
Job before that, I negotiated up about 12% exactly as well, added a (meager) relocation bonus

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Honestly the extra $15k is probably worth them paying, just to get you on board faster, so they can start getting value out of you before they run out of money

As the other guy said, worst they can say is "we're firm at X" and then you respond back "ok I understand but due to cost of living etc I can't move for less than Y, how can we close the gap" and often they'll bend another $5k

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Phone is more traditional, but it's really hard to gently caress up a spell checked email that was proofread by a friend

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Edit: well, fine then

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Follow up:

Me: so what's your pay band? (knowing H1B stats for the position was $1000 in 2019)
Them: Uhh $1020 middle of band, up to $1120 top of band
Me: oh wow, I was thinking closer in the $1150-$1210 range
Them: well I think if we push hard we might be able to get you $1210
Me thinking: poo poo I should have asked for way more money
Me: I think we are pretty closely aligned then, let's go with $1210

Haven't started on signing bonus negotiations yet. Realistically I thought that if I was aggressive asking $1210 I would have to negotiate down to $1120 but I picked up 10% over my original, ambitious, goal so :shrug:

Regardless, quite pleased with the situation, we have some back burner projects that can be funded now

TL;DR always negotiate

Target Practice posted:

it feels empowering and really gives you that big dick energy.

New thread title?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah the correct answer to "how much are my pre IPO options worth?" the practical answer is, "zero". That's the sober truth.

I recently exercised $15,000 worth of options @ about $4.50 each, with a potential $60-100/share value. Post tax depending on your meet and valuation, that's $200-650,000 after tax. Assuming Biden didn't neuter long term capital gains taxes

But we merged/got aquired by a slightly larger company. After meeting their engineers, I'm pretty certain they'll never go public, and I just lost a 2018 Honda Civic worth of money I'll probably never recover, and this kind of loss isn't tax deductible

So don't bet on your options. Always optimize for salary if you can

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Omne posted:

Your options didn't pay out at a change-of-control event? WTF?

Nope

It was two weak companies merging in a no cash deal so their 409a valuation didn't get triggered

I had an option to cash out my held shares but no payout on options vested or otherwise

And yeah, CEO and a handful of other people got paid out. Contract went into luke warm detail that he'd negotiated during the hiring phase a pay out on any change of control event, pending shareholder approval

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Jun 27, 2021

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Silly Newbie posted:

June 2020, one of my clients poached me from the new MSP to help run their internal IT. Systems Engineer at 105k to Manager, Systems Engineering at 125k.
I have no idea why they gave me that title or what it really means. I have no one that reports directly to me.

I would like to approach them for a 20% bump. I quoted the 125k figure, and eventually got it, based on being a very good Sr Systems Engineer in my geographical area.
I'm not sure if I should approach my boss or the CFO (his boss, who I have a good working relationship with), and have no idea how to approach them. I'm way out of my depth working in an actual corporate structure, as my previous employers have been privately owned shops.
I would like to gun for 150k, but don't have the ability to make any kind of ultimatum - I would probably struggle to find the kind of freedom that I currently have, at my current salary, on the open market.

Anyone have advice on approaching leadership and making a strong case for a 20% raise out of the normal increase period based on company growth, job duties, and title?

Since you are a manager, working alone, here's what I would do, having no additional details about your situation

1. You are a major bus factor. If you left tomorrow they would be completely hosed. One person for 750 users is extremely good utilization of their $125k
2. Use the bus factor to your advantage. You can't walk in and be like, "you'd be hosed without me, pay up bitches", but you can show them the problem, and present a solution
3. Tell them your workload + bus factor requires that you hire a Jr system eng for on call/sick day/vacation etc, and while they're making room in the budget for another headcount, as a sign that you're committed to staying there for the long haul, you'd like a 20% bump as your role has doubled + you're managing/training a junior now

Be like, "this is my vision for my team, eventually we'd have four people, but right now we can just barely get away with one new hire. Here's how the team will look in 4 years.... *does hand wavey motion*" and then reiterate how important it is to keep productivity high, what a contractor would cost to come in and fix things last minute, and salary band for the junior. Now your 20% raise is looking really tiny

After your whole presentation, either

1. They bite on your plan, and then you bump your raise to 30%
2. They decline your plan, and you suggest the 20% raise anyways due to the stuff you just outlined about growing work responsibility and business risk, or whatever, since you're doing this without a junior

Just spitballing. I mean, if you're managing something (that's your title in name at least, right), basically that whole vertical is your own small business, you need to sell them on the idea that they're buying something, and part of that is your vision + execution. Sell them a business plan. Feel free to write out a 5 page plan with budget, risks etc, cost outlines. Just asking for more money isn't going to get you very far.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Jun 30, 2021

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hadlock posted:

There's a position, and I found out that an H-1B holder having the position, which means their 2019 salary is public record

I was going to swing high*, say $1150-1175, I'm coming in as a personal referral from a top ranked employee, and then when they counter, point out that the H-1B salary was $1000 in 2019, so with 4% compounding annual raise ought to be, for example

2019: $1000
2020: $1040
2021: $1082

And then propose ~$1100 since it's Q3 2021 already and won't qualify for annual review on time etc

Also what's best guidance on starting bonus for a senior tech position these days, 10% annual salary? Rounding up to the nearest $5,000? I'm not sure if they offer RSUs but presumably they will if everything goes according to plan. A friend said their equity system was pretty generous, at least when they started a while back.

So update, the 2019 h1b salary was 1000, they offered 1020 and 15,000 shares, I countered with a range of 1130-1220 and 20,000 shares, citing inflation on the H1-B number + triplebyte and... angellist salary data for my area. Going above $1100 required sign off by the CTO, shares from the CFO. They came back and said they would do $1220 and 15,000 shares if I didn't push on shares. I said yes, and then the next day asked for signing bonus of 20%, they countered with $0, I pushed for a signing bonus of $10,000 and they countered with $5000 so we settled on that.

Prior to this I was making $920, so wasn't especially torn up about getting a lovely signing bonus. End result: 25% pay bump from my previous place, which is pretty great as I already have a house and all the big-ticket toy items, this raise is all going straight into my vacation home/retirement fund :w00t:

Moral of the story: always negotiate, and inflate your research numbers by 15% because in verbal negotiations, you're not required to cite your sources. I ended up about 12% higher than I was predicting I would end up.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Yeah, companies lie all the time about not being able to negotiate, already being at the ceiling of what they can offer, etc. It's always 100% bullshit. Their initial offer is made with the expectation that they may need room to go higher, in case the candidate has any clue about negotiation.

Yeah exactly. There's at least 5% wiggle room on salary, pretty much always except at sweatshops

If they've already decided you're the top candidate, just tell them "I need at least X total comp to move" and that usually does the trick. Two jobs ago I was able to pull about $15k extra out of my starting salary that way.

If they're only going to give you 60th percentile

A) they have a ton of headroom to go up on salary, but you're gonna have to sell it to them
B) you're only coming in at 60th percentile, yikes, now that they've given you a number, ask for at least 70th percentile, you'll have to guys what that means. I would be hesitant to start a new job knowing I'm coming in at "average", especially if I'm counting on a greater than 4% raise in a year

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Imagine five projects on a cliff, one falls off, and you replace it with a new one, at a new company

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Magnetic North posted:

I know that no one gets meaningful raises anymore, that everyone just gets higher pay at the next job. I'm not prepared to leave this job just yet. However, based on a few statements from higher ups regarding pay-raises (when asked about the lack of them since the pandemic), I have been thinking I may be in a position to be successful in getting one if I somehow take the initiative. Of course, I am both an idiot and a coward, so I'm taking these thoughts here.

Is there any advice for this sort of situation? Is it impossible because I have no strong alternative (not actually wanting to leave)? Or is getting raises just grandpa baloney and I need to shed my corporate programming?

I once scheduled a meeting with my bosses boss and explained to him I was doing 60% of the workload for a team of three, as the junior, with two seniors on it. I was extremely well liked and basically shamed him/have him a panic attack. This was in uh, 2012 or 2013 which was a while back, and it was a pretty straight laced sober public company

The next day he told me he was working on a raise and a couple weeks later they announced my promotion and I ended up with a (doing the math now) 45% pay raise. I had the statistics to prove it, the other department heads were coming directly to me to fix their problems, and I had been pushing though a lot of tech reforms and replacing outdated systems. So, YMMV

TL;DR don't say you're gonna quit, don't make threats, but be prepared to back up your demands with numbers your bosses boss will understand because that's ultimately who's gonna approve your raise

Also worth looking at a straight up title bump, that's pretty much the only way for your boss to sell a raise to his boss

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Don't discuss salary until after you've gotten at least a verbal offer, did they give you an offer yet

Expect to get 105k compensation + whatever the max equity they offered you, but be willing to flex a little, or trade for a 5 year vest schedule. I can't imagine a startup paying less than 100k in this market for someone with 2+ years experience, unless you live in rural Mississippi or something and kantt speel gud

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Honestly I'd just tell the recruiter to gently caress off and go look for a company not looking to buy slave labor at the lowest possible price

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

This whole rental thing seems like a (probably technically legal) pass through business tax write off/business loss tax churn scheme designed to greatly reduce their taxable income and effectively giving you a tiny cut of the proceeds

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

For bay area startup, what does tech lead mean in terms of career progression, salary, options etc, especially at a pre IPO company

We're looking at splitting the team under a director to have two teams, one tooling, the other SRE, each with a technical lead, and each team would get two direct reports, growing to 4-6 DR

I can see a universe where tech lead is just a title bump with no meaningful compensation, but I don't think that's how this company rolls. Presumably there would be a... 10-15% salary bump, and 33-50% more options on top of the initial grant? How far off base am I here

Presumably being a tech lead opens the door to a management position, or at least being in the top half of contestants, if/when that happens

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

LochNessMonster posted:

You can do both. Tell recruiters you are happy and will only consider a move for $insane_offer. If something pops up you can always interview and see what kind of offer you get. You can still decline at any point.

Who knows what companies want to pay you. Only one way to find out.

I keep getting offers from recruiter spam on LinkedIn for "contracting position $100/hr" (~$200k) and I've idly (I just moved to another job, not looking) started responding "I can't even pay my mortgage with that rate, this is junior level pay" and several of them have responded "ok what rate are you expecting?" I responded with $155 and two of them still want to schedule calls with me, so A+ can recommend this strategy; there's a lot of money sloshing around looking for adequate ROI so take the biggest piece of the pie that you can get

Also with inflation, a 10% raise is only going to net you 3-5% increased buying power, so factor that into salary considerations. If you want a 20% raise at your next job and 2021 inflation is 5%, you should be swinging for 25% this year

Edit: got a response back from a recruiter when I said $150 for a senior position was second year junior money and his response was something like, "yeah, that's why this job has been so hard to fill"

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Aug 7, 2021

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yeah they're lowballing you and I'd be fine telling them to gently caress off. Professionally. By which I mean "Sorry but it has to be $75,000 for this to work for me. If you change your mind let me know."

The initial bait-and-switch on their part would leave a really sour taste in my mouth and I wouldn't be inclined to budge an inch in this situation.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Before clicking submit, you must kneel before the computer, raise your eyes to the heavens and shout, "oh Lord, I am but your wee vassal! I submit"

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Rails SDMM posted:

Success story:

Started job hunting a couple months ago. Screwed up my initial round of offers by sharing my current salary like an idiot. These offers came in for 20% above current compensation, which is nice, but not amazing. Read this thread, refused to give a figure when pressed. First offer came in at about £180k. Negotiated near the £200k bracket - 2.5x my current salary and well above what I thought my market value was, working tech in the UK. Great thread. Cheers, lads!

Yeeeaaaaah boi

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Nurse Practitioners can make absolute bank in telemedicine, particularly because they recently changed the law, state nursing licenses apply in all 50 states for telemedicine purposes. Telemedicine companies use NPs to review prescriptions, doctors instructions, administer automation of prescription systems etc.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

FCKGW posted:

I just got a job offer, I'm in CA.

When we had a initial phone conversation they asked my currently salary and I asked them to give me their range. I had several interview and their offer is at the top of their range in the initial phone conversation.

Is there still room to negotiate in this instance, or should I assume their range is set and can't go above that?

There's at least another 5k baked into your salary range, you just have to ask for it, start 10k above the top of their range and work down slowly, try and hold out for 8k.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The only reason to go work for a non profit, besides out of the goodness of your heart, is because you want extremely flexible work life balance, in particular in relation to family stuff

The only way you're getting above advertised rate at a non profit is if your brother/sister is on the board of directors, and/or if a close family member is a significant contributor

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Happiness Commando posted:

I, did ask for more money. Got +25% the offer went from obscene to obscene so thanks thread.

:toot:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Can you share why you were out? Medical leave? Injured on the job? Maternity/Paternity leave? Caring for a family member? Sabbatical? Everything except the last is probably a protected status in your country. How long did you work there before you took time off

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Lmao, did not see the "mat leave". I haven't seen maternity leave called that before although in my circles we do use the term "pat leave"

Yeah as suggested, reach out to your union rep, then find yourself a lawyer. Stop talking to these people on the phone, get an email and make sure you get 100% of everything in writing, and CC your lawyer going forward. Your lawyer will probably advise you to stop talking with them directly, which is probably a good idea.

I'm not a lawyer though, so, good luck, but seems like there's a non-zero chance you'll get to claw back at least part of that $15k

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

gbut posted:

This. Not sure about Ausssie laws, but companies tend to delete emails in their system at the first sign of trouble, and it means disappearing from your own company inbox. Only subpoenas tend to stop this behavior. They can't reach into your personal email so forward anything pertinent to yourself. Mentioning a lawyer/confronting can trigger the wipeout, and it's nice to have a papertrail of the timeline and events you described.

IANAAL/B, of course.

It never even occurred to me to only use work email only for HR stuff; I've always CC'd my personal email because a lot of the time for PTO stuff you only have your phone, and not your company laptop

Pretty sure deleting HR emails (hr specifically) is tantamount to willful destruction of evidence and is a crime in of itself

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

My gut reaction would be to talk to people on the dev team, see what they think, maybe go to "virtual lunch" with some of them; see if someone there might vouch for you. Then talk with that person and the dev manager, maybe as a sidebar on a more project focused meeting. If you can get team buy in and the dev manager buy in, then approach your manager and take it from there. Get the group consensus first, make it easy/comfortable for your manager to stick their neck out for you

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

We've passed on more senior people trying to fill a junior role because it was obvious they'd only be in the role long enough to find a better paying job elsewhere

In an ideal world we'd just hire the right person for the salary and position, but they were in the middle of a merger and really they were looking for warm cheap bodies to keep the lights on (one of the many reasons I decided to leave)

You'll find something else, don't worry about it

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hotbod Handsomeface posted:

Can I get a gauge on engineering salary?

I have a BS in Chemical Engineering and am looking to change jobs. I have just under 6 years of experience and make 90k/yr in Oregon right now. I am trying to pick what I would need to move to the Bay Area or Los Angeles in Ca and at least maintain my current quality of life. Anyone have any pointers for estimating salary needs for different cost of living areas? I was looking at the Nerd Wallet and Best Places cost of living calculators as a start. Anything else I should be checking out?

Nerd wallet and all the others use the same set of federal statistical data, which might be out of date due to wild pandemic housing pricing. I've found it accurate to within 10% in my scenarios

If you're making 90 in non-bend/Portland you would probably want $180 for the bay area

I can't speak for socal but probably well north of $120 would be my guess

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I wouldn't move for less than 20% more than your current salary

The only way you're getting an out of cycle pay bump is if you can justify it with dollars earned/dollars saved. Maybe allude that your friends keep referring you to their internal recruiters but you really like where you're at. Don't make any threats about leaving

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Wibla posted:

Doesn't sound like that job is really worth moving to, tbh.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I have a friend who works in, basically the QA department of the mainframe division at IBM for the last 16 years, about 8 years ago she realized she doesn't have the personality for management, so every year she's traded X amount of salary bump for extra vacation days; at this point she doesn't have a formal 4 day work week, but she's gotten about as close as she's going to get at a major blue chip company

It's possible but unlikely unless you have a really good relationship + unique skill set

My buddy is one of three people in the world who knows how this $1mm/year piece of software works, he mostly noodles around with medium format cameras and guitars all day in a third world country and rarely works even a half day on Fridays

At another job he'd probably just be another 9-5 m-f coder drone

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Magnetic North posted:

Follow up to these two things, as I find myself in a similar boat:

Basically help me money please my family is dying.

Do you want a raise, or do you need a one time cash infusion? You could ask for a merit bonus to cover a hospital bill. I've seen cash rich startups grant 10% of someone's annual salary up front, on top of starting bonus to cover certain life events etc

If you want a raise start telegraphing this to your boss asap. Raises and bonuses are assigned months if not quarters before they're awarded. If you want a substantial raise in March (Q2) you needed to have started telling him the first week of September (end of Q3). The CFO gets salary estimates from the VPs, who get theirs from directors, who get theirs from performance reviews of managers. Managers and directors get a pool of money to distribute, so you need to be on their radar early to make sure you get the distribution you want. If you wait until the last minute they're not going to have much leverage to squeeze more blood from the stone, unless you're the star employee and the company would collapse without you

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Why would he dilute his job security by 33% :psyduck:

I guess technically I and a handful of other people know how it works, at a high level still, but haven't touched the product in years

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Lockback posted:

Every place I've ever worked was the same thing and they were not Union. Raise time was a set budget usually equal to ~3%. Promotions and adjustments were a different budget though.

I worked at a place like this, and their annual retention was awful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Does anyone have experience negotiating executive pay, particularly at a fortune ranked company

Seems like bonus is around 35% of base? Anything else?

How is executive pay even structured. Base, annual bonus, sales bonus, uh at one place they had a $15,000 social bonus for joining country clubs etc but I imagine that varies from company to company. Also pretty sure executive band gets you a different class of healthcare benefits