Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Inept posted:

Health/dental/life/retirement/other benefits can add up to a lot of money. Make sure you're not undervaluing those because the salary itself is potentially higher.

This is truth. The employer paid contributions towards healthcare, 401K, and other benefits is easily 30% of my cash compensation. I'm not even counting the 6 to 10K a year in employee paid training we get.

In fact one of the first things I look for when a company has an opening is what their benefit package looks like. I've not applied to many jobs because the company benefits aren't up to par. I do feel kind of stuck at my current position though. I have so much vacation time right now there are no jobs I could change to that would give me the same amount of time off with my family.

solauran posted:

Thanks, that all makes sense.

This:

is a concern for me which I think led me to make the mistake of being initially soft on the counter-offer. I didn't want them walking away out of hand however I didn't want to risk leaving significant money on the table. Even so, I can see now that it's better to state a hard number than a soft one.

I've read several of your posts, I'm not a regular in here or anything, but what kind of position are you in? Do you need this job? Can you walk away from it if they only go to 110K? Where did you get the 130K number from?

I know the company I work for, when we want to hire for a position, we open a requisition and go through all the back end corporate bullshit before we even get to the interview/job posting process. HR and Finance approve the req, assign a grade, pay range, approve the funding in the budgets, all the stuff that needs to happen beforehand. Then the job is open and can be applied for. If their offer is 95K, I would be pretty sure the internal range assigned to the job opening isn't going to go to 130K, generally the ranges are smaller, 20 or 25K tops. For the right candidate we've gone back and adjusted the grade and pay range if a more senior person blows us away, but it doesn't happen often and involves getting people with Chief and President in their titles to sign off on it.

An example of above: We open a req for a software engineer (grade 2) with a range of 85 to 110K, someone comes in that we love but wants 120, we have to walk the req back through the process and reclassify to staff software engineer(grade 3) which gives us a better pay range to work with and can accommodate the 120.

So what I'm getting at I guess is, shoot for your 130K, if thats what you think the market rate is for someone like you, go for it, but try to understand your position on the negotiation. You might also have to get creative, asking for a sign on bonus or extra vacation time are ways I've seen compromises made with folks we've brought on board. One gent wanted a specific workstation setup that we provided as part of his on board.

I wouldn't worry about being too aggressive, polite, and firm is fine. We've only ended it with 1 candidate that I'm personally aware of during the salary negotiation phase. They asked for an extreme number, way at the top of the market, we explained our range and countered with what we thought was fair. They insisted on their extreme number and we decided at that point it just wasn't going to be a good fit. Finding the right candidate is hard, and costs a lot in time and resources, salary negotiation usually isn't that big of a deal as long as both parties have realistic expectations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I'm not sure if this article has been posted before, but I really liked this article by Robert Park, yeah it's on medium.com but I thought it made a couple good points.

https://medium.com/the-future-of-money/negotiation-isnt-just-about-money-fca4d1a8ccde#.msq9y72ri

quote:

The goal in salary negotiation is not to get the highest offer. It’s to get the best offer without compromising your relationship with the employer.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Not really a negotiation, just yet, but more of a question of how do I best present my case to my new boss.

Went through a company acquisition earlier this year. Old company pay was good, but their benefit package made overall compensation great. Skipping the details, when it's all said and done after moving to the new company's benefit plan and time off schedule, I'm losing 11,000 dollars in "total compensation". The majority of that is company contributions to the health care plan we had, and I'm losing 7 vacation days. Granted old company was extremely generous, I still considered that part of my overall compensation. In addition to that, I changed job responsibilities, during the acquisition/merger and was placed in what I feel is a higher level position. I'm an IT Systems Admin, with almost 15 years experience, and the old company had me at a mid level (grade 3 out of 5) admin in their operations department. I've moved to an architecture role now, and stepped away from day to day operations. I'm generally a pretty passive guy, but between losing out on the vacation days and medical that made total comp great, plus my perceived increase in job responsibilities made me take a hard look at my total compensation, and I'm definitely under paid right now.

I'm not really interested in switching jobs, so I'm aware I have no real leverage. I could have a new one in a couple weeks if I really wanted, but I'm honestly happy where I'm at now for various reasons. I do want to sit down with my boss during our next 1:1 though and put together an argument for additional compensation though, as of right now I'm 20% below "market value" for what they're asking me to do. Pay was fair for my old position, but not for the new one.

What's the best way to present my argument? I was planning on going over the reduction in total comp, but I don't feel they're going to be very sympathetic to it. The medical coverage really was an outlier, and I still will have 21 vacation days instead of 28. Not exactly hurting. The new medical coverage is a little under market, but not out of line with some current offerings out there if I was going to find a new job. Vacation, and Medical aren't going to change, so I'm definitely looking for more cash to compensate.

Just looking for a good way to present things to my new boss. He seems pretty decent, and I'm willing to give them 6 months or so to get something figured out (HR can move slow), but I just can't allow myself to not try to do something about this.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

you just got absolutely turbofucked and you are just gonna be like uhh well i had it good before?

look for a new job mate

Turbofucked? Not quite. I feel like it's more of a swift kick in the balls though.

Not a Children posted:

Dispense with the "I'm happy where I am now" thinking, because you clearly are not; you are being underpaid. They are counting on you taking this on the chin. Asking nicely will not get you what you want. Get other offers. Be willing to consider them. Asking nicely and hoping they'll deign to give you what you want in exchange for you "feeling happy" is no way to conduct a negotiation, it's how you conduct a surrender.

I really have no interest in finding another job right now, and I was arguably underpaid before on a cash basis, but I felt the non cash comp more than made up for it. I also full time WFH which at this point in my life is worth a lot to me. My wife and I do just fine, and honestly there's more to life than cash at this point in my life. The extra cash wouldn't really affect my quality of life at this point, it's more of a principle issue.

I've had success asking for what I wanted before. Last 2 promotions have been because I sat down with my boss 1:1, made my case, and they went to bat for me with upper management and HR, and I got what I wanted. It's been my experience so far that employers are interested in keeping good folks around and fairly compensated, but it can take time for things to get approved and work their way through the system.

I know this thread is all about "gently caress your employer, you're getting hosed, find a new job, make fat cash". If I wanted a new job, I'd be working somewhere else in the next 2 weeks for a lot more cash compensation than I get now. The market is good, and I know my worth. I also know I don't feel like commuting 60 to 90 minutes a day, or not being here when my kids get off the school bus, or missing soccer practice with the kids and so on and so forth.

I'm not going to just accept this laying down either. I've got a poo poo ton of PTO to burn, and pretty much won't work the rest of the year from Thanksgiving to Jan 2nd or so. If things aren't happening by the time I get back from my 2 week vacation in Feb, I'll earnestly start looking, at that point it's the principle of the thing and not allowing myself to continue to be "turbofucked".

If someone wants to offer any advice on how to better make my case, great. If not that's fine, I'll let ya'll know how it goes. There's a possibility my new boss will tell me he won't do anything for me, at that point they can RIF me and give me the 1 year of severance they'd owe me and I'd be fine with that too.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Vox Nihili posted:

Well I'm certainly looking forward to the updates on this one.

Boss called me today out of the blue. New company is adjusting my salary to be more in line with other people in their IT department. 12% raise effective immediately. New bonus target 10% instead of 5%. Still eligible for standard 3-4% merit increase next March/April. (Old company you didn't get a merit increase if your pay was adjusted in the last 6 months).

The kicker, I hadn't even had the 1:1 conversation about things yet. We've both been traveling and haven't been able to find time for a 1:1. Told him I was going to try to schedule some time before the end of the year to have a talk with him about this, but this was a pleasant surprise. He was 100% open to talking about job grade/title adjustment and further comp adjustment.

I was quite surprised they did this on their own.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Counteroffers really depend on the company and their culture.

I work with people who's bosses couldn't get them more money from HR or the promotion without going the counter offer route. I think we call all agree that situation is pretty hosed up, but it worked out for them in the end. They got the money they wanted, and they're happy. They've stuck around for years and the working relationship didn't suffer at all. Their boss actually told them, "I can't get you what you want right now, go get another offer and I'll be able to counter though". Dysfunctional? Yes, but that's the reality of the Austin software engineering market and our HR dept.

The issue I have with accepting counter offers, is it's a 1 time thing. You can't keep going back to that well every couple of years, but if you're a valuable team member, and otherwise happy, sometimes it can work out in everyone's favor. You've got to decide if the reasons you went looking for another job were just about money, or really about other things as well. While I do not agree with the sentiment that if you accept the offer you're on borrowed time and they'll look for a way to get rid of you when it's convenient for them, you should always be prepared fiscally to be out of work for at least 3 (preferably 6) months no matter what. That way if they do get rid of you, you're prepared.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Anecdotal reply, but my old boss got 6 months salary to stay on for 9 months post acquisition and help with the transition. He was our IT Manager, managed a team of 8-10 sys admins

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Have they told you they're going to contact your current employer?

Most large companies use an automated service like TheWorkNumber.com to verify employment. The company I just started with used a 3rd party company to verify my employment history, and I provided some redacted W-2 statements, and a redacted current pay stub and that was all they needed.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Is there an important reason he's preferring NYC over Chicago? I ask because like KYOON GRIFFEY JR noted as soon as covid is over his rear end is going to be living in hotels and airports and regularly flying into and out of Chicago will probably be WAY less of a pain in the rear end than New York. This may be something to talk about in the business travel thread though

This was my thinking as well, but I'm totally ignorant about the cities, travel consulting, or pretty much anything. Chicago seems like a much better base to fly in/out of every week than the NYC area. I can see the appeal of NYC to a young 20 something just graduating college though

Thanatosian posted:

One of my good friends moved out to where I live on a bit of a whim, and I moved into an apartment with him. He worked in food service previously, and I referred him to a job in the call center of the financial institution I work at. The first holiday season rolls around, and he asks me "so, how does this work? When do we get a chance to ask for Thanksgiving off?" I had to explain to him why they're called "bankers' holidays."

We really, really do, and it is profoundly unfair. The vast majority of people working in hospitality or doing manual labor work way harder than us.

It really is. I worked food service and from 16 to 21(fast food and waiting tables/line cooking), and then a 24/7 call center for another 3 years after that before I moved to the cushy corporate side of things. It's very common for me to take the entire last 3 weeks of the year off and get paid for it. Vacation when I was younger meant loss of income. Now I get paid 33 or so days a year to not work. I worked 10 times harder line cooking at Denny's than I do right now. Obviously the skill set is different, but drat I feel fortunate as hell to be in the position I'm in these days.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Guinness posted:

The withholding of benefit information is a negotiation show stopper imo. They are hiding information from you. It is standard and expected to be provided that information up front. There's no good reason for them to be doing that. It strikes me as extremely untrustworthy and not transparent.

This is how I feel as well. Especially these days when the benefit package is arguably more important that total cash compensation. First thing I check out when looking at employers is the health insurance and PTO package. Cash comp is secondary really.

I started a new job in Jan, and I was blown away how they handled everything. It's a large company and complies with a bunch of different laws like the California fair chance act, so I didn't even start the background check process until a full conditional offer of employment was made. The offer was a 2 page PDF detailing my overall compensation including time off, benefits, retirement matching, etc complete with pie charts and everything. I accepted the offer in Dec 2020 but didn't start until Jan 2021. They made a small change to the bonus program, which dropped the potential bonus by 1%. They actually adjusted my salary upwards 1% so the compensation would be the same and I "didn't feel like I was being misled". It was 1% and I probably wouldn't have said anything, but what sort of employer proactively does that? The entire benefit package was made 100% available to me. I understood everything I was signing up for. Benefits started day 1 as well.

Parallelwoody posted:

So I just had a phone interview that lasted an hour and a half and went pretty well in my opinion. The position is several states away and the interviewer (who would be my interim supervisor) asked when I would be available to schedule a trip out to see the facility and do a face to face. This would be my first relo for a position and I'm assuming they will pay for the trip/board but is there a diplomatic way of affirming that? Also any tips on negotiating relo? I saw 5k mentioned as benchmark a few posts ago, that standard across industries? Also thanks thread, I not only had the confidence to hold firm on not naming a number but also stood my ground on not answering an interview question that shouldn't have really been asked regarding my family, which this thread has boosted tremendously.

Yes, the company should definitely be footing the bill for airfare, transportation, hotel, and reasonable food expenses, just like they would for an employee on a business trip. A diplomatic way of confirming that is asking who you should coordinate the travel with. There's probably an executive assistant, or HR rep that will be booking everything through their travel system. Larger companies tend to go through Concur or some other travel management system for flights/hotels, etc.

Relo sadly tends to depend on how high up the position is. I know 16 years ago I got 5K relo (reimburseable) as a junior IT guy making 42K a year. The director level person relocating as well had a much more generous relo package. Different companies handle things differently. They may offer a flat relocation allowance for the position, offer to reimburse up to X amount of dollars, or if it's an executive level relo, cover certain outlined costs no matter how expensive. Those can run into the 6 figures sometimes. 5K seems really low to me though.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

stellers bae posted:

All I care about is money and chill honestly. Just trying to find the right mix

You're pulling in 138K a year including your annual bonus, plus excellent benefits, working 35 hours a week at a large financially stable company, and the only downside is a "below average" boss.

You want to leave for a job with less cash compensation (signing bonus is not an annual bonus), dubious financial stability, and unknown work environment?

Like he said

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Etuni posted:

I know the answer is find a new job, and I've started brushing up my resume, but I like my benefits and the prospect of selling myself, finding, and starting a new job in a pandemic is the last thing I want to do.

My perspective as someone who started a new job a few months ago, finding a new job right now is frankly easier than it was before. Everything is being done online and via Zoom. No having to make some crazy excuse for a half day off to go to an in person interview. Everyone is working from home. Certain jobs are in high demand... I'm an IT worker of course, and left for a job with better benefits, better pretty much everything, and 25% more base cash compensation. I couldn't be happier right now.

You owe it to yourself to put the effort into finding a new job. Worst Case you keep working in your current job. There's a lot of better case options though.

I spent 17 years working for the same succession of companies (acquisitions...) Change is scary! It's totally worth it though if you find the right company to leave for.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Change is scary man. I spent 17 years at the same company because it was comfortable, and I was comfortable. Finally got the courage to take a new job and it was 1000% the right move. I left for better benefits and 24K more a year, and have 0 regrets. It's hard to say goodbye to people I've worked with for pretty much my entire adult life, but there's social media and other ways to stay in touch. Old job promised upgraded titles, and salary adjustments, but those kept getting pushed back, and I decided it was time to leave. Found out the raise and title adjustments my old team mates were supposed to get were pushed back another 6 months after I left.

If you have a good feeling about the new job, go for it. I left for a really great working environment, one of those "Top 50" places to work every year joints. More cash, better benefits, same PTO, there was no way I could say no. I'm also finally feeling challenged again. I was coasting the last 5 years, and it's really unfulfilling to be honest.

I say go for it if it's a solid company you won't regret working for. Don't chase cash going to a toxic company though. A change of scenery can be good, and if your old company wants you back bad enough that's something that can always happen down the line.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I have to hire consultants so I have someone to throw under the bus when this shitshow of a project ultimately fails.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

give me a PO # i can bill to

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Echoing what Pizza and Zarin are saying. 17 years working with some of the folks when I left. It was sad to say goodbye, but you get over it real quick. Like about the time that direct deposit hits for an extra 700-800 a check. :D

I still keep in touch with several folks.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Yeah I can’t see taking a 30k+ pay cut no matter what. Maybe if a ton of equity was involved and I had a chance at spinning the IPO prize wheel.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

stellers bae posted:

Current role is countering my senior director offer, I'll see later today/tomorrow what they come up with.

Now, I get it. Essentially everyone says to never take a counter. However my current role is chill af (and it's on the client side, vs. the other role on the agency side, aka probably at least 2x more work), current boss is annoying but not sapping my soul, and the health benefits are excellent and MUCH cheaper.

I'd be extremely tempted to keep posting during 90% of my workday while never being contacted on nights or weekends if they came up to a TC of $175ish (vs. $200k at the new role). I know this is a bad idea but I'm as lazy as I am greedy so it may be a hard decision.

Alrighty, we've been watching you do this find a new job/don't find a new job dance for like 3 months now. The potential new job met all your demands, you should feel very validated right now, but you still want to go back to your current job and push them for even more?

Like I'm not trying to be a dick here, but you've already won a couple times now. What exactly are you looking for?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

PIZZA.BAT posted:

take this from someone who took options from a company that was looking really successful and had major investors: it's to be treated as monopoly money until you can actually sell it on a market

signed,
a guy who wound up with a pile of monopoly money

I used to work with a few folks that worked at Motive Inc in the mid 2000’s, and for a brief moment in time some of them were fairly wealthy on paper. Their options didn’t survive the lockup period in the money.

I made a little money over a decade ago on a small number of options I was granted, but I never counted on them ever being worth something.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

In my limited experience, I've seen that co-workers that convert from agency contractors to FTE's usually take a small reduction in cash compensation, or at best it stays the same. Overall compensation jumps way up of course with our generous benefit package, but cash usually doesn't.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Hadlock posted:

For bay area startup, what does tech lead mean in terms of career progression, salary, options etc, especially at a pre IPO company

We're looking at splitting the team under a director to have two teams, one tooling, the other SRE, each with a technical lead, and each team would get two direct reports, growing to 4-6 DR

I can see a universe where tech lead is just a title bump with no meaningful compensation, but I don't think that's how this company rolls. Presumably there would be a... 10-15% salary bump, and 33-50% more options on top of the initial grant? How far off base am I here

Presumably being a tech lead opens the door to a management position, or at least being in the top half of contestants, if/when that happens

Tech leads at my org, are a grade level above Sr, and at the same level of Principal. They make more money, and get an extra 5% on the bonus. Principals are not common at my org, but they do exist, they're the most senior "doers" who really don't want to go any farther in the company. Tech leads are for us are sort of a quasi management position. They mentor the team under them, act as a point of contact for the team, and do a lot of internal consulting with other teams, etc. They still do some actual work, but it's not the primary focus. They work very closely with the team manager/director, but they are not managers. It is the jumping off point for the next step though. We have IC career tracks and people manager tracks. IC moves you into architecture, tech fellows, etc, people managing moves you into that side of things. I don't work for a startup, but that's how it works where I'm at.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Rails SDMM posted:

Success story:

Started job hunting a couple months ago. Screwed up my initial round of offers by sharing my current salary like an idiot. These offers came in for 20% above current compensation, which is nice, but not amazing. Read this thread, refused to give a figure when pressed. First offer came in at about £180k. Negotiated near the £200k bracket - 2.5x my current salary and well above what I thought my market value was, working tech in the UK. Great thread. Cheers, lads!

Bloody hell. The UK isn't known (at least to me) to have insane IT salaries. That's a hell of a win. Congrats. What field of IT are you in if you don't mind sharing? I used to work for a UK based company, and my peers made it sound like getting 60K over there was an accomplishment for a general system admin/IT person. This was in the Saltaire area though, not anywhere close to London.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Rails SDMM posted:

C++, moving from the games industry into high frequency trading.

Ok yeah that's making a ton more sense. Those HFT jobs pay huge.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Parallelwoody posted:

Nice work! I was talking with my HR colleague the other day and asked what happens if a nurse wants to negotiate a salary offer, and she deadass said oh we don't negotiate here it's take it or leave it. loving lol no wonder we are bleeding staff and have trouble finding applicants.

Travel nurses are out there making insane money right now if tiktok has shown me anything. These folks signing 13 week contracts for 60K or more.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

My neighbor is a BSN, and former combat medic, he does clinic data coordination from home right now and has had other administrative type jobs that use his experience. I’m guessing he does alright.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Just my 2 cents, but no amount of money is worth that commute and only seeing my kids on the weekends. No one at the end of their life has ever looked back and said, you know I wish I spent less time with my kids and more time at work.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

leper khan posted:

Talk to a lawyer

I’d start with the appropriate state agency before getting a lawyer involved

https://laborcommission.utah.gov/divisions/utah-antidiscrimination-and-labor-uald/wage-claim/

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Keystoned posted:

Has anyone experienced the other side where you ask for x and the offer side takes pity and offers you more?

Yep, that was me when I got the offer for my current job.

I spent 17 years at my last series of jobs (multiple acquisitions, multiple promotions, etc.), and I considered myself reasonably paid for the area I live in. I didn't think I could find a job paying what I was currently making, and thanks to my tenure I had a fantastic amount of PTO. (I place a heavy premium on work/life balance).

I was making about 92K a year plus a 5% annual bonus, had like 30 days of PTO and good 401k match. The health insurance was not great after the last acquisition (3K HDHP). New CEO comes on board, <bunch of boring details that don't matter>, and I decided I need to GTFO of there. I disliked the working environment after the last company acquisition and I knew my time was up and the company direction was terrible.

Had a friend of mine refer me to a position at a local company... Fortune 100, always one of the Forbes/local paper top places to work in IT, etc etc. Interviewed for my current job, they loved me. Told the recruiter I would take 95 for the mid level gig and was looking for 105 for the senior level gig.

Come to find out 105 was below the bottom of the pay band for the senior position they offered me (108K-192K). Initial offer was 115K base, and I took it without negotiation. I wanted out of my old job badly, and the new company my total comp was going up over 40K once you include the 15% bonus, better healthcare, and everything else. Still have 25 PTO days as well.

I'm not unhappy at all with this outcome though. I got out of a bad situation with a 25% base comp raise, total comp increase of like 40%, and got my foot in the door with a company I'm happy to work for. I'll do 20-25 years here and retire. My boss has been thrilled with my work, and already put me in for an off cycle raise, so pending approval that should probably be an 8% bump, which gets me to 124 ish, and then throw in next years 3%, and I'll be around 128 or so after 15 months of working here. I don't really feel like I have a super unique skillset, so this much compensation is just insane to me, but I'm not going to say no to it.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

LochNessMonster posted:

I've thought this before as well, but remember you're always only 1 bad boss away from a new job (or unemployment).

Very true. My old boss was 100% the reason I walked away from 17 years at the last place(s). I was assigned to him post acquisition along with some other SME's to form a new team that didn't really go anywhere. I remember clearly the day I decided I was going to quit after we had a 1:1. Aug 14th 2020. It took me until Nov to find a new job which I didn't start until Jan 2021

I still talk to my old co-workers once in a while. My old manager is no longer a manager and has basically been moved to a position that he can't really do much to hurt things anymore, my old teammates have all been reassigned. I don't know what that guy has on someone, but he should have been fired years ago.

I'm hoping things work out, but if they don't, it'll be fine.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

BonHair posted:

So even bad bosses can be good.

This is a good way to look at it. Chanes my perspective a bit. Without him I wouldn't be where I'm at today. I was comfortable at the last job, and scared of change, and content to just float on, but he pissed me off enough that he forced me out of my comfort zone to find something new. It doesn't hurt that something new equals a ton more money in my pocket as well and a much better work environment. I should send him an edible arrangement or something.

It's funny though, everyone at my last job knew that guy was a problem. When I did my exit interview with his boss (director level) and HR they both already knew he was a problem, and had fielded multiple complaints over at least the last 2 years about him. No one liked working for him, or with him. People would avoid involving our team on things because of him. I actually said "I don't really like to talk negatively about people but" and they interrupted me and said "yeah we know", and we moved along.

I don't know why people like that get to stick around so long. I think a good part of it is the hiring managers ego. They don't want to admit they made a mistake promoting or hiring a lovely manager, so instead of admitting they made a bad call they let this person just exist as a cancer to the organization. I have no desire to ever be in management, but I always tell myself I'll fire fast and admit I made a mistake if I ever make a bad hire.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

priznat posted:

Just put in my notice (3 wks in this case), and don’t feel great about it. My manager and team were good just the new opportunity is really interesting and pays way way (almost 3x) more. I am constantly on the panic edge of trying to go back on everything because the status quo was boring but comfortable. But I gotta see this through!

17 years at my last company(ies). Change is super scary man, but I switched jobs earlier this year and it was 10,000% the right move.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

TheParadigm posted:

When does 401k matching usually start at real jobs? after the probationary period? the 1 year mark?

Immediately. Everything kicks in day 1 at my very large company. Day 1 health insurance, access to your PTO, 401k match. We have a 2:1 match though that takes 2 years to vest though which isn’t ideal.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

That sort of benefits are unfortunately common at very small companies. They don't have the resources to offer $bigcompany style benefits. The only thing you'll probably be able to negotiate is the hourly rate.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Eric the Mauve posted:

This is correct about insurance but bullshit about PTO. One week of PTO a year is reflective of a cheapskate mentality and never anything else. It's standard for the horrendously abusive retaio sector.

Yeah, you're 100% right for sure.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

wizzardstaff posted:

(Bursting into a thread I've never interacted with before but have seen in ads, thanks.) Any tips for negotiation with local government jobs? I imagine those are probably a lot less flexible.

I just had a great second-round interview for a computer-touching city bureau position and would not be surprised by an offer soon. But I've started to do more research about the position (kinda late, I know) and realized that the salary range given in the job listing is not actually the range I could expect to be offered at starting, but is in fact the lifetime salary cap for that job classification. My current salary is within that range but it's closer to the top than the bottom.

If they offer me the bottom as a standard entry point, it'd be a massive pay cut. But a little more digging shows that city policies technically allow them to offer more. Is it a fool's errand to think that they might actually budge on negotiations?

Most gov jobs I've seen have a grade and step based pay scale. The job will have a grade level that can't be changed, but you may be able to negotiate what step you come into. The downside though is once you hit the highest step there's no where left for your salary to go. Promotion to a new grade is the only way to earn more.

You should be able to find that info on the city website.

Some positions might not be in a grade/step payscale, if that's the case I would not expect to be hired at anything above the 25% mark of the pay range.

Here's a doc from the City of San Antonio about how they handle this stuff. https://www.sanantonio.gov/Portals/0/Files/EmployeeInformation/ADs/AD4-13A.pdf

It's really sad about city/county jobs. They used to be a good place to work, you made a little less money, but the work life balance, job protections, and benefits usually made up for it for some people. My local gov's are underpaying so badly right now they can't keep people. Benefits have been slashed, and the traditional pension is pretty much gone.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

It's an amazing time to be in tech right now. 10 years ago my old org was hiring Senior Software Engineers with 10 years experience and Masters degrees at 130K base in Austin.

Keep killing it folks.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Marathon petroleum calls it a vacation service enhancement and you can see the details how their program works here

http://www.mympcbenefits.com/Documents/MPC-2021-Vacation-Plan.pdf

My current company does not offer anything like this but they start us off at 25 days of PTO going to 35 at 10 years and 45 days at 20 years.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Just put it out of mind and move on.

Most largeish companies I’ve worked for have plenty of hr data available for positions. The requisitions get opened and approved with salary budget numbers in mind by multiple departments before the job even gets posted.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

sadus posted:

Is there a general consensus on what a normal 401k match is for tech companies in the 1-5 billion value range is? Going through yet another buyout and the new company (already dealing with a ton of people quitting) is dropping from 5(employee)/5(company) to get the max match to 6/3.5 and claiming it exceeds industry standards
:suspense:

I don't know if there is a consensus, but I'll share my history

First 3 companies were 5/4, immediate vesting. 100% match on the first 3% then 50% on the next 2%.
4th company 2% no matter what, then 4% match on 4% contribution - no vesting - This company had no ESPP, a terrible bonus plan, and middling benefits.

These were tech companies of various valuations/market caps. 700M at job 1, 2.5B, job 2, 6B job 3, 9B job 4.

Current company 4/8, but 2 year vest on company contributions. This company is not publicly traded, so no ESPP or any other sort of comp possible outside cash and cash bonus. Current company is a Fortune 100 financial services company, but has a large tech component, but is not a true tech company.

TLDR; Most of my career its been 5/4, 6/3.5 is a little under industry standards in my experience.

another edit:

5/4 is extremely common when it comes to matches as it's the bare minimum that meets the Safe Harbor /non discrimination tests from the IRS regarding 401k plans.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Nov 9, 2021

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Think about starting (on paper) at the very end of December instead of in Jan. There could be some benefits that start or accrue after complete years of service you may be delaying by almost a year in doing so.

This might be super specific to me, but PTO accrual and our pension plan* are based off years of service on Jan 1. I started Jan 4th at my current company. I won't get my first pension contribution until 2 years minus 4 days with the company, and I'll have to wait to get the extra week of PTO at year 10 until I've been there almost 11 years.

*it's not a huge deal as it's not really a real pension, it's just 3% salary put into a "pension" like fund you can access when you turn 65, it's not a factor at all in my retirement calculations.

Might just be my personal situation, but if I would have known, I would have tried to start at the end of Dec instead of Jan 4th this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

air- posted:

Offer was rescinded in response to my counter offer :rolleyes:

Dodged a bullet there.