Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aurochs
Dec 16, 2004
THE ONLY THING IM NOT INTOLERANT ABOUT IS WHAT I PUT UP MY ASS
Grimey Drawer
I posted at the end of the last thread regarding negotiating for equity, and ended up with an offer with warrants/stocks as a bonus model. However, after meeting with the CEO I declined because it didn't feel like we would get along :v:. He wanted "someone I can tell to increase conversion rates 5%" which seems more like a scape goat to blame once things goes down the shitter.

So here we are again. Short backstory: I have ~6 years of experience in management consulting (MBB equivalent) and even though I'm still happy with my current job, I've obviously been looking into other opportunities. Since last I've kept interviewing and over the last 3 weeks I have received three offers. One of them were postponed for a year, while I declined the second and accepted the last. Negotiations went according to the BFC-approved tactics, and the third offer has 10% more total compensation compared to my current position with (hopefully) less hours to boot.

But here's where things go south.

The position I have been interviewing for all along was Head of Strategy at a decently sized company, where I would refer to EVP-level and have 2 direct reports of my own. There was a similar open position for the role as Head of Business Development and I could pretty much choose between the two.
However, I just received the contract with the title "Business Development Manager" which, at least to me, is something completely different :confused:. I called the EVP and asked what was up, and his explanation was that the previous titles were too confusing (what?) and that this is an attempt at streamlining things a bit more. He sees the new position(s) as 2 Business Dev Managers, with 4-5 business developers as reports.

Everything else is unchanged, but I feel like they went behind my back and used a fancy job title to lure me in, well-knowing that it was going to be changed. Had they approached me initially with the new title, I would probably have declined in the first place. They are very insistent that nothing has changed, but I asked who would be Head of Strategy and the EVP claims that its his responsibility. However, the two people currently holding the positions are titled "Head of Strategy" and "Head of Business Development" on LinkedIn, soooo :v:

Please tell me if I'm being a big dumb baby, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurochs
Dec 16, 2004
Grimey Drawer

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

You have to decide how much the title is worth. Head of X sounds more impressive than Y Manager, even if the responsibilities are the same.

The case for pushing on it:

- You interviewed for one thing and were offered something different.
- That title could have a long term impact on your earning potential over your career.

The case for not pushing on it:

- You actual compensation is the same either way.
- Complaining about it will be ridiculous if you aren't willing to walk over it.

Frankly I'd come down to that last point. If you're ready to tank the negotiation and tell him to get stuffed, then you could use it as a point of leverage, but you better have a solid argument worked out ahead of time and a goal in mind. Something like "Business Development Manager is a less valuable job title for my career than is Head of Strategy. I would not have even interviewed with you if you had been open about this change when soliciting for the position. I want ($X dollars / Y days vacation / Z reports) to compensate."

Excellent points, and right now it's skewing towards pushing on it. Like I mentioned, I am happy with my current position, have fantastic colleagues and once I reach the next step (~6 months) my compensation will surpass the new offer anyway. Promotion is not a guaranteed deal, but my company is very transparent regarding which job levels get what compensation.

It pretty much comes down to long term impact on earnings potential. A 'Head of X' position could be leveraged into way better positions in the future, whereas 'business development manager' is often bit of a catch-all title that can mean anything. I'm not really sure if they could offer me more compensation to stick around as BizDev Manager, so it's pretty much down to negotiating for a better title. It still feels like they sprung this on me out of nowhere (I had to call them after noticing it in the contract!), and that's kind of a red flag regarding their practices. They also mysteriously delayed the interview process ~1 month in the middle of it, which could also mean they had someone else who then declined, but that's just conjecture :confuoot:

Oh, and to complicate things further, the new workplace is a client of my current workplace so I can't be a total dickhead to them as it could cause some unwanted tension if I choose to stay.

Aurochs
Dec 16, 2004
Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Yeah no use speculating. I think you can manage it OK with the client relationship, just say hey the title was important to me, if we can't see eye to eye on that or have some compensation for that being removed of (X) then I appreciate the offer but am not interested. I think it's a fair position to hold.

Yeah, good point. I'll write them tonight and bring it up.
I went back and checked the original job listing and it specifically describes two distinct teams in the organisational structure, so it's really something that they sprung out of nowhere. I'm not even sure that I'll accept the position if they fix the title, since the EVP explicitly said that they would "align the titles in the fall no matter what the outcome of this"