Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao

Fireside Nut posted:

Hi, incredible thread. I might have an upcoming opportunity to use an outside offer to leverage a better salary at my current position, or, accept the new offer. There are a few pros/cons to each position, but, overall, I'd really be happy either direction I go.

My questions centers on the etiquette of this leveraging strategy. Is it acceptable to receive the offer from the outside company, turn around with a counter offer, and then take the response of the counter offer back to my current employer to see what they can do? Or is it best to take the initial offer from the outside company back to the current company and start there? (Or maybe another option I'm not familiar with?)

I'm simply trying to maximize this potential opportunity since the whole leveraging game can only be used sparingly.

Thanks so much!

If your company matched the outside company's reply to your counter, would you stay at your current place or leave? In other words, have you clearly defined at what point (in terms of offer details) you would leave vs stay? That might be a good place to start to try to decide if it's worth doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU