Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )

hobbez posted:

Thanks for this. She just responded and was like yep you would get 15k relo. She also told me there is a sign on bonus I wasn’t even aware of? Really appreciate how direct they have been about the comp, definitely attractive as a prospective employee.

This is great news! Fingers crossed you get some bonus money in time for Christmas!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Question: how do you say if offered one job, that you're waiting to hear from another employer about a different role before making a decision? Or do you not say that at all, and just use another delaying tactic?

I am going through reference checks for one role I really want, but still have an interview scheduled for tomorrow for a different role in case my first option falls through

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Lockback posted:

Are you trying to just delay things or are you trying to get them to play off each other?

Delay things. I want one confirmed before I make a decision on the other one. Both are public sector and NFP, so salary isn't negotiable anyway

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Lockback posted:

Tell them in the interview you're in process with another agency and ask the timeline. That will help if you're given an offer to hold off (and make you appear more desirable). There's a chance the timelines don't line up in a reasonable way, you should think ahead what would happen if that occurs before you have an offer.

Lucky for me they told me their timelines in the interview (decision on Monday, today is Friday) but no delaying tactic needed as I got a job offer this arvo!

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Not a negotiation question as such, but does anyone here know about salary packaging in Australia? My new employer offers it but idk how to make use of it

It says it can be used on rent for example, so does that mean I supply the BSB and account my rent is paid into, and it's paid directly to them?

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Lucky for me my HECS debt is all paid off. I feel awful for people who are paying high interest at the moment on theirs

But yes, company who provides the salary packaging is AccessPay, my employer sent a one page pdf with dot points as information. The PDF did mention a card you put money into for 'living expenses' plus additional money for accommodation and going out to restaurants (?!).

On the surface of it, it sounds like free real estate, especially a card that can just be used for living expenses. Do the bills have to be in my name? (What if I'm on a lease with other people? Electricity in someone else's name?)

It sounds amazing so there has gotta be something I am missing

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

I'm not American so take with a grain of salt, but I think the blended offer may be better, and you perhaps have room to negotiate a slightly higher salary.

4 weeks paid leave is very good, plus the additional 16 hours school kids leave is a nice bonus. As noted, unlimited pto is a scam, would you ever get more than 4 weeks? Also does the 4 weeks roll over year to year?

The way the first job was framed made it seem like it's still tenuous and unstable, so maybe it's time for something new?

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

New Leaf posted:

It's bizarre that you guys are giving different advice from my pretty business savvy friends.. They say take the new job and gently caress the old job that hosed me as they could turn around and do layoffs again in 6 months with how tumultuous telecom is. I see merit in both approaches, but I sent an $8k increase counter to see what they do. If it's acceptable I'll probably take the bank data center job for the stability.

This is what I said, so turns out I'm uhhh business savvy :smuggo:

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

New Leaf posted:

I ended up going with the bank job. I didn't get my asking, but we landed a couple grand higher than my previous role and they seem like a much healthier environment, so I'm happy. There's other factors.. I did some soul searching last night and I think sitting at home all day might be slowly killing me. The weight I've put on since COVID and switching to a remote position is no joke. Plus, there are days I don't even see the sun. I need to break out of this place. I'm charging up the ol' Fitbit and calling this an opportunity to lose some weight by having an office to walk around. Now to find some "business casual" clothes I don't hate wearing. I appreciate everyone's advice! :)

Goongrats!!! I actually enjoy blended employment with some days in the office for the exact same reason!

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

It's so easy to overthink things when it comes to jobs, because for us it's a lot in the line with bills to pay and families to support

But for the hiring manager or HR person, it's just another Thursday

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Parallelwoody posted:

No. Do you know how much work someone quitting causes? It sucks poo poo.

Okay but I meant more in the context of a prospective employee asking the hiring manager or HR person a question about benefits. Neither of those people are likely to say "what an outrageous question, how dare you, job withdrawn, suck poo poo"

That's all I meant, people quitting has nothing to do with it?

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

All employees in Australia are owed the minimum as set out in the National Employment Standards.

Any contract in Australia can't exclude rights outlined by the NES.

It's comforting to know these standards exist and aren't benefits to be negotiated away.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Power of attorney, uhhh what the gently caress Dr Evil corporation you be working for JFC

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Fwiw the best HR people I've ever met were very honest with me about processes and outcomes, not just towing (toeing?) the company line.

Sometimes poo poo is what it is, but no need to blow smoke up my arse

That being said, nobody has ever asked me to sign over power of attorney lmao

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

I'd say maybe follow up if you don't hear after 5 business days. As noted, there are a million reasons for delays, none of them related to you

If you want to email earlier because you feel antsy (totally understandable), you could write an email asking for links to relevant documents so you can 'prepare for your start date', then asking 'speaking of which, when can I expect to receive a letter of offer'?

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

I once had an interview where the dude I was interviewing was asking me my marital status, if I had kids, all kinds of questions I'm fairly certain are illegal, if not at least problematic

He had a lady from HR sitting right next to him and she never said a word

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Eric the Mauve posted:

Those questions are very illegal, in the US and I therefore presume everywhere

This was in Australia, and I sat there like ffffffffff

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

I had the thought process of, if you don't give me this job I could cause you guys a lot of problems that you don't want

I did get the job, but like, wtf lol

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Omne posted:

Did you *take* the job?

I did! she said, regretfully

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Also this was like, after formal interviews and was said in the beginning to be informal but like.... Anything prior to a job offer is still an interview!