Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad
So after around 2 months of interviewing, I got an offer from Google today (LA-based) and it's a bit less than I was expecting. I work in a non-engineering tech role (product-oriented) and the new gig has me on the high end of a L5. Base salary is a meager bump from what I make currently at another tech company and their equity offer is split over 4 years and also not as high as I've heard from past colleagues who went to Google. I also received an additional equity grant with my current place last year and I'd be sacrificing about $40k of unvested RSU's/ATM's based on the current market price.

I've heard they don't negotiate much on base salary unless you have a strong competing offer from another FAANG, but that component worries me less than equity. Does anyone have any tips for negotiating on the RSU portion? It's against CA law for them to ask about my current salary but it's kind of hard for me to frame this while letting them know that their current offer is basically the same as what I'm making now. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

asur posted:

Are you saying that total comp (salary + rsu per year + bonus) is 40k lower at Google? If so, just tell them that and that you'd need $X to leave.

Thanks! I ran some numbers and over the next year, factoring in my current equity grant vs Y1 at Google, I'd be losing about 10k total on the equity side based on current valuation. Base salary would also be lower by several thousand.

I'm planning to go back to them by saying it's lower on both salary and equity (without providing the actual number) and give them a baseline total comp number that would make sense for me to leave.

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

Hey all, just received a couple offers this week after a grueling few months of interviewing as a product manager with 10+ years of experience. One offer is for a role that I'm not too excited about (CS tools) but has a title of a Product Lead (also the title I was laid off from while in FAANG), while the other is for a Senior PM but a product area that has more potential for growth and domain ownership. Total comp is comparable between them but I'm a bit worried that moving to a title of Senior PM will look like a downgrade on my resume (it's technically lower in the PM hierarchy).

Does anyone have experience negotiating on title alone? I know that the job description originally outlined all of this, and I was aware of how it might be perceived when applying, but now that I have offers I'm curious if there's any leverage I can use to my advantage. Thanks!

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

Lockback posted:

You can, but it's less fungible than money. They may not have that title, or they may be structured differently. Personally in my experience "Senior PM" vs "Product Lead" seems less indicative of what you're doing than a description would, so I'd say don't sweat it too much but you can always ask.

It's also possible they don't have a "Product Lead" position and they might just say "You can call yourself that on linkedin it just won't be in the HR system".

I'd probably frame it as "I am considering between these roles, the title is something that separates them at this point. If I could have title XYZ I would be ready to sign immediately." This gives you some room they may try to toss more money at you to make you feel better.

Great suggestions, thanks!