Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
My thread contribution: For anyone interested in negotiations in general, I recommend a book that I used in a course about negotiations. Bargaining for Advantage by Richard Shell

http://www.amazon.com/Bargaining-Advantage-Negotiation-Strategies-Reasonable/dp/0143036971

There's been a lot of discussion about opening with a number or waiting for the other party to open. I like Shell's perspective, which is "when in doubt, don't open". But if you are the more informed party, then you may want to be the opening position (as long as you have genuine leverage).
I can't think of very many situations in a salary/benefits negotiation where the employee hits both criteria.

The book uses a 2x2 matrix (a 2x2 matrix is a staple in every business school course!) with the axes labeled "Perceived Conflict over Stakes" and "Perceived Importance of Future Relationships Between Parties", with a high and low area for both.

When most people think of "negotiations", they think of the high stakes, low relationship "transactional" type. You're trying to extract as much value as possible from the other party. The other three areas are still meaningful negotiations. Also, if you are negotiating like a transactional event and the other party is treating it as a relationship event, you're probably going to be perceived as a dick. This can be a meaningful difference if you're negotiating your salary with the owner of a 3 employee small business compared to a giant corporation with 80,000 employees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I once had an abusive rear end in a top hat boss. I quit abruptly, after a history of being a good employee, with zero explanation.
They ended up investigating it at the corporate level and fired the guy.

I offer this as encouragement, because my treatment wasn't even close to being as bad as your's, and the company was otherwise pretty crappy but they still did the right thing.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Yeah that is garbage.
I bet they will want that money back no matter what, so be prepared for them to send you a big bill for the balance due when you stop working there.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Realized my internet bill was a little heavy for the last few months. Called and asked nicely for the "new customer" promotional rate. Got it for a year, saving $30/month.

$360 for 12 minutes on the phone was time well spent. Thank you nice call center lady Tina.