Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005

swenblack posted:

I can only speak for myself, but if a candidate pulled this on me and I decided to hire them, I'd make their offer conditional on providing the details of the competing offer.

Haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005

Pillowpants posted:

Do NOT lie about your current salary.

I do 5 or 6 Verification of Employments a week in my role. The most basic ones list what the applicant listed and ask if it is correct, but the more detailed ones look for 3 years of salary history broken down by reg/OT/bonus. I've had to send a lot back because of lies.

This sounds like an unemployment counselor or something and doesn't seem relevant.

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005

Bluedeanie posted:

I don't want to count my chickens, but I have been interviewing for a marketing/pr job in my state's public university system and that's gone very well. I've been through the opening interview, a callback interview with two more panels and a second callback/third interview to talk one on one with the vice president of the department. All of those have gone well and I have a reference from a different department manager from the University so I feel like my odds of receiving an offer this week are reasonably good.

So here's my question. I think the advice in the OP to let them wait a day before calling back with a counter offer makes sense for a bigger corporate setting, but they've made it clear they want to both fill the position as quickly as possible (for a public college of course) and that they want someone enthusiastic about working there, so I think I plan on listening to their offer and saying something like "that's generous and I am excited for the opportunity, but could you possibly do $XX,XXX? I know I'm a great fit for the position and my past experience (blah blah...)" Is that a fine idea? And if they come back with "sorry but that's the best we can do" do I just say "well that's OK, it was worth a shot, I accept"? I should add they're going through a budget squeeze and enrollment drop so I don't want to come off like I am trying to milk them and I'd be happy with any offer in their listed range, but I also agree you should always try to negotiate.

First, you can wait a day if you want. Everyone expects you to think about it or talk it over. Second, since its public theyll probably talk in terms of steps or something based on your education, number of years experience, and whatever other metrics some useless government bureaucrat drone came up with. Use that to talk yourself higher. If they dont move on numbers governments and equally useless institutions often have set promotion times, counter with an offer to move that sooner. If you want the filthy poo poo government job you should decide your walkaway point before calling. Dont forget relocation, either you need it or can use your lack of it for your negotiation with your soulless hellish employer whos probably unionized and sucking on the teet of American private work ethic.