Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Parallelwoody posted:

Sure, there is lovely HR, and I believe a lot of HR is lovely because the typical evolution of a company is to have the admin assistant and finance handle hr poo poo. When the company starts expanding, the admin person becomes the HR person, who is used to kissing the CEOs rear end and does whatever they or anyone else in authority say. But when I read several posts in a row about how HR is lazy as gently caress and doesn't do anything, I gotta speak up because it's the same concept as "Well none of our computers have had issues for a while, why do we even pay IT people?" I get that it's generally an adversarial relationship, but I've always been pro labor and do whatever I can for the employees so they don't get hosed over. Like, a huge portion of time is taken out of my day to help people navigate things that I could just dump off elsewhere, so when I see things saying I'm a lazy sociopath for being in this field, when the whole point of it is to be a bridge between staff and upper management (people who take their own poo poo and write on the bathroom walls vs people so out of touch they think a 5% raise for employees making 12 an hour is great!), is a little insulting. And I happen to like puppies and kittens, thanks.

If this is your perspective, then please take it as given that you're not the sort of HR person we're talking about. At my third employer, I literally had HR people tell me, to my face, that employees don't matter. That was on top of all the stuff in my previous post (that was all just one of my employers.) At my first employer, a HR guy accidentally sent out a site-wide email in which he and a senior exec were referring to the scientists as "larvae." At my second employer, HR worked with Ops management to create a burn rate chart, which was used to determine how long you could ride employees on the manufacturing floor before you should proactively replace them. They applied equipment preventative maintenance procedures to humans, and HR signed off on that.

You may be labor-oriented, and if so, thanks for being a decent human being. I don't know you outside the internet, though; all I can say is that until my current employer, I had a 100% "HR are evil fuckers" rate as a department. Any good individuals were drowned out by the corporate bullshit their department pushes out. (The only reason I exclude my current employer, btw, is because I haven't had to deal with them since they hired me. That's probably the best I could ask for.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Lockback posted:

Everybody's job is stupid and evil except mine.

Speak for yourself. I've probably killed children without knowing it, which makes me both stupid and evil. :colbert:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

stump collector posted:

Have you gamers ever been ghosted after responding to an offer email

Personally, no. Best I've had is interviews canceled because I asked a question about the interview. I had an interview offer on-site at the USPTO that wanted me there in Alexandria the next day, when I lived in Connecticut. I e-mailed them back to confirm I could make it, but also asked if there was a reimbursement process for the Amtrak fare to get there. They responded by sending me an auto-reject about 15(?) min later.

However, I finished grad school in 2007 and a lot of my engineer buddies got job offers in finance. I remember going out to dinner with them after we graduated, and feeling kind of ashamed that I was still struggling to find a job in biotech/pharma while like half the folks at my table were just taking a few weeks or months off to relax before starting their new roles at Lehman Bros and Bear Stearns. They got offers rescinded weeks to months after accepting them. (And I got my first job about six months later, in part due to the financial crisis.)

Sundae fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Nov 6, 2022

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Lockback posted:

No joke, I had a string of women engineers who went on maternity leave and my feedback on that was you lost them for a reasonably short period and in return you get someone who is going to value stability, not particularly be concerned about anything beyond their own scope, and you get ridiculous amounts of goodwill by doing pretty basic human things. Just from a business and personnel perspective it always seemed like a pretty substantial net win.

This is another thing about my current place that I feel actual, legitimate loyalty over. When my wife had our daughter, not only did I get paternity leave, but they extended it for well over a year because of the pandemic. "Your kid is more important than anything here," paraphrasing my boss at the time. He basically came out and said to work when I can and take care of my newborn as needed, no coming into the office for you for the foreseeable future.

They treated me extremely well, and for the most part (up until very recently during the RTO pushed by our mothership) have been very understanding about child stuff. It's a good feeling and is worth hanging around for.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Also, get their relocation policies if you'd be relocating, including the requirements / terms of repayment for it (if any).

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

redreader posted:

The phone call was on Thursday afternoon saying "we're going to give you an offer!". My friend at the company said that on Friday during standup, my future (?) manager said he was talking to the recruiter about my offer, and to tell me that 'they're going to extend an offer to me'. It's Monday afternoon and I haven't heard anything yet. I'm wondering if this is still a normal amount of time to be waiting. They haven't interviewed anyone else for the job, and I feel like I should be relaxing saying 'I'm about to get an offer' but instead I'm not. Is this a normal amount of time to be waiting? I'm sure it is, I just feel like it's not.

Thursday --> Monday with no offer is perfectly normal. A billion people probably have to sign off for the offer, and all it takes is one dude being OOO / leaving early on Friday and whoopsie, can't get it out on time.

I have no idea what's too long (it took my last employer 3 months from "here comes an offer" to "actual offer received via encrypted system"), but I can definitely say Thurs-->Mon is not a panic-worthy amount of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

E: this is not the corporate thread.

Sundae fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Apr 14, 2024